VOGONS

DUDE, show me your Dell!

Topic actions

First post, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to see all the dell fans out there custom or original, heres one of mine to start. specs are:
Dell Dimension 4700
4GB of RAM
3.80Ghz Processor (heat sink is from a dell precision 370 with 2 fans zip tied 😵 )
1TB HDD
HD 4650 1GB
Original intel motherboard
i mostly use it for playing the following:
Age of empires (with unofficial hd patch)
halo combat evolved
dos box games (to many to name)
far cry
gta san andreas
gta vice city
unreal tournament g.o.t.y.
the godfather
and lots of year 04 games runs them at there highest settings

Attachments

• Dell Dimension 4700.jpg
    Filename
    Dell Dimension 4700.jpg
    File size
    487.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_0968.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0968.JPG
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    stays extremely cool with this mod no more overheating
    File license
  • IMG_0945.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0945.JPG
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0946.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0946.JPG
    File size
    1.58 MiB
    Views
    File license

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 1 of 146, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks great!!

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 2 of 146, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why you use only old slow Pentium 4 there instead some Core Duo or Pentium Dual Core E2220 or E5300? With newer processor you can have lower temperature and power consumption and far better perfomance.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 3 of 146, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiger433 wrote:

Why you use only old slow Pentium 4 there instead some Core Duo or Pentium Dual Core E2220 or E5300? With newer processor you can have lower temperature and power consumption and far better perfomance.

because Dell are btx and give no respect to the standards.

Good luck with this thread ! I hate it when Dell, HP or IBM make non standard computer, the Apple way, they are destined to the trash bin.

Reply 4 of 146, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its maxed out on cpu cuz of the older chipset and there is nothing standard on this board all the parts are interchangeable with the older dimension series i can pull the motherboard and swap it with another, but im not going to. it was my first dell and ive been tweaking it ever since 2006

Reply 5 of 146, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElBrunzy wrote:
Tiger433 wrote:

Good luck with this thread ! I hate it when Dell, HP or IBM make non standard computer, the Apple way, they are destined to the trash bin.

The nice thing about standards is there are so many of them.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 146, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes they are very easy to acquire i have about 20 different models in the closet ranging from p2 to core2quad

Reply 7 of 146, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's mine:

This poor E520 was going to be thrown in the trash. It was my grandmothers system. It lived most of its life inside a closed in desk cabinet running warm with Windows XP and 50 icons named random things such as "New Folder (3)". It also chugged along 2 expired antivirus and god knows how much actual malware. Every time I'd go over there I would do a quick msconfig / autoruns clean up to keep it going just a little longer. Well, it did its job. She used this system for YEARS, not once reinstalling Windows XP. Earlier this year she wanted to upgrade, so this thing was retired. I offered to take it.

Here is the poor troopers original specs:

Pentium 4 2.8ghz (with HT, so that's a plus atleast)
2x 256MB DDR2-533 (512MB)
250GB HD
Floppy Drive
56K modem (she MIGHT have actually used this before she got broadband, not sure, haha)
Integrated Graphics
Dell 305W PSU

Old_E520.jpg

Case badges tell the story of the struggle:
IMG_2376.jpg

Thanks grandma for this junker. Let's see what we can do with it. I was somewhat excited I admit, since it DID have a PCIe 16x slot, PCIe 1x slot, and 4 x DDR2 DIMM slots. My initial impression was that it has potential to be decent. The manual states it runs an Intel 965 based chipset with a FSB of 800/1066. That's a GREAT start. That means we might be able to run Core2 ! It also states a maximum of 4GB in 4x1GB layout, but we all know how manuals can be with their somewhat outdated information, so I had hopes I could push it to 8GB, a theory reinforced by the wiki page showing 965 chipsets can run 8GB.

My Core2Duo proved a success and booted right up. But I decided to take it a bit further and throw in a Core2Quad because why not? SUCCESS! It runs great! The only problem was that it was running HOT. I had to upgrade the heatsink. This heatsink with it's heat pipe goodness is from a different Dell system and is labeled J9761:

New_E520_4.jpg

Installed and ready to go:
IMG_2379.jpg

And you know what? We don't really need a floppy drive right now, and the manual shows it has a "FlexBay" header on the board - ie a USB 10 pin header for card readers, so lets throw this guy in:

New_E520_5.jpg

The funny part about this card reader is the USB labels are SS ie "SuperSpeed" which is reserved only for USB 3.0. This is a USB 2.0 card reader with a USB 2.0 header, so it's labeled wrong, but regardless I thought that was amusing. Looking better:

IMG_2375.jpg

Now, the GPU was an interesting problem. Since it's a BTX style motherboard, everything is flipped upside down. This system only officially supports single slot GPU's, any dual slots won't fit or would interfere with the CPU heatsink shroud, here's a good pic showing the issue:

7288_755_SLOT.jpg

But lucky me, when I bought my Radeon HD 4830 years ago, I got the MSI version with the orb style cooler. I cut the mounting bracket in half to make it "single slot".
MSI_Unveils_Four_Radeon_HD_4830_Graphics_Cards_5.jpg

I also added a nice little 500W PSU and an Intel Pro/1000 Gigabit nic. So now here we are:

Grandma's tricked out Dell E520:

Intel Core2Quad Q6600
8GB DDR2-800
1TB HD
Radeon HD 4830
Card Reader w/ 4 USB
Intel Pro/1000 Gigabit Nic
500W PSU
Windows 7

It now has no problems doing modern tasks, with a modern OS. It can play most 2012 and under games nicely and can multitask like a beast now with the quad and 8GB ram.
New_E520_3.jpg

Living a peaceful cool life now as a living room computer, don't mind the desk, it's temporary:

E520_final.jpg

Last edited by fyy on 2016-06-05, 01:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 146, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nice build, only a true builder can mod just about anything

Reply 9 of 146, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well done, fyy!!

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 11 of 146, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think this says more than enough about the stockpile of Dells I have:

XqMZwtJl.jpg

From top to bottom:

* Dell OptiPlex GX110 - P-III 667MHz/256MB RAM/810 chipset and graphics/40GB HDD/Windows 2000 Pro. Used to have a very similar system years ago, except it was the tower version and I think it was slightly faster, with a 733MHz P-III.
* Dell OptiPlex GXa - P-II 266MHz/128MB RAM/440LX chipset/ATI 3D Rage Pro/6.4GB HDD/Windows 98SE. Not really that much to say about this one.
* Dell OptiPlex GXi - Pentium 200 non-MMX/32MB RAM/430HX chipset/S3 Trio64V+/2.1GB HDD/Windows 95. Possibly the fastest retro system I have.

All systems acquired for free from the dump, and all still work just fine to this day.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 12 of 146, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

used to own a Dell Precision 220 , which unfortunately isnt working anymore (and given its Dell , finding spares is not easy/cheap), so instead here is my Dell Dimension 8100

IMG_20160605_175406559_zpshiarvctn.jpg
IMG_20160605_175436559_zpskqsyxtru.jpg

very early socket 423 machine I upgraded

S423 Pentium 4 1.7Ghz (thats a Williamette)
2GB PC800 RDRAM (because why not)
Quadro4 XGL 900 (just a Geforce4 4600) , drivers 56.64
SB Audigy ES
160GB IDE HDD
LiteOn DVD drive (doesnt match the case but replaced the LG CD drive that wasn't working)
has a dual boot of WinME and WinXP SP1

I would laugh at it, as that CPU struggles to keep up with either the Athlon 1400 or Tualatin 1400 , but to be fair to it , this system can run Doom3 at medium settings , usually at around 30fps.

Reply 13 of 146, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dimension L800r

Pentium III-s 1.4Ghz (pin modded and modified bios)
512MB RAM
80 GB PATA hard drive, 7200rpm
Right now it has some old PCI Quadra inside of it for a GPU, no AGP.
SoundBlaster Live
NIC/USB2.0 Combo card
CDRW
No floppy drive, missing fastener

Dimension 4600

Pentium 4ee 3.2Ghz
3GB DDR 3200 RAM (Two 512MB, Two 1GB sticks for dual channel)
80GB SATA hard drive, 10,000 RPM (Velociraptor)
RadeonHD 4670, AGP
Soundblaster Audigy
NIC

Both have new Power Supplies, the L800r needed a cable adapter because of Dell's weird psu standard.

Both Run Windows XP, although I haven't been able to check on the L800r because for some reason my newer monitor refuses to recognize it. I only have room for one monitory, so it was a bit of a let down. I assume it still works.

Attachments

• 1429973880540.jpg
    Filename
    1429973880540.jpg
    File size
    698.9 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Dimension L800r
    File license
  • 1429972497124.jpg
    Filename
    1429972497124.jpg
    File size
    717.55 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Dimension 4600
    File license

Reply 14 of 146, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nice, so what does the modded bios allow on the l800r

Reply 15 of 146, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, I guess modded isn't the right word, more like, unofficially supported.

The Dell BIOS was overwritten with an Intel BIOS that recognizes the Tualatin Pentium III-s.

Reply 16 of 146, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

still its pretty cool tho

Reply 17 of 146, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElBrunzy wrote:
Tiger433 wrote:

After having extracted all usable components 😁

I really dislike anything that has very specific applications, especially stuff that also takes up a lot of space and has extra additional proprietary side-effects (like needing a proprietary PSU, it's extra hassle for no reason at all).

BUT otoh to each his own.

edit: I might get flamed for this, but even when I started this hobby over 10 years ago, I already developed a strong dislike for IBMs and actually enjoyed taking apart these proprietary tanks in the same way some IBM lovers on a few certain forums disliked anything PC-clone wise.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 146, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thats what makes it a challenge

Reply 19 of 146, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not a fan of "trendy" cases, simple classic design for me please, but have to admit those purple highlights do look good!

I've got
Dell XPS T500, only one I paid for, a whole £5!
Don't seem to have a better pic of it!
PCs.jpg

Now has a 1Ghz CPU but my Asus P2B-DS Duel 600Mhz PC is more sexy so poor Dell doesn't get used a lot now.
I did give it its own topic when it was my main 9x box though.
Dell makes surprisingly good retro PC's

More recently
x3_Dells1.jpg
The T5500 has had a 2nd CPU and RAM added but not much else (no time)
Actually installed 2003 on one of the R710's to backup all my data past 2 weeks as my external HDD is making funny noises. Twice now the single 1TB HDD the OS is installed to has corrupted itself. Lucky all the data was safe on a separate RAID 5 array made up of the original 750GB drives. Not sure what is the cause may have to try out the other server but this had a slightly better raid card and iDrac Enterprise

Oh and a latitude E5500 I maxed out the CPU and RAM running Windows 10.

Have to say, I've always been a HP guy since Compaq times for office environments. But apart from the evil non standard ATX power supply (They could have at least made the connector different) business class Dell's have impressed me with the more recent servers being better then their HP counterpart.

Never liked home end stuff, Dell or HP's