VOGONS

First post, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello people!

For the last few weeks I've been trying to get a PC together that is in the same rough performance bracket as my Dual 1GHz Pentium III machine.
I originally tried to work with two VIA Apollo chipset based boards, but I couldn't get the AGP performance I needed.
Sifting though local ads I found someone selling an Abit BX6 Rev 2.0 Motherboard with CPU and RAM.

I picked it up yesterday and went straight to builing. I threw it in a spare case and added some parts I had laying around.
I mostly built it so I can play some games with my cousin who's visiting me this Weekend. 😀

Here it is:

hXL3gsCh.jpg

It features:

Motherboard: ABIT BX6 REV 2.0, Intel 440BX Chipset
CPU: Intel Pentium III 700MHz, SL45Y, with MSI MS-6905 Master Slotket
RAM: One 128MB stick and one 64MB stick of PC100 SDRAM, Not final configuration.
Graphics: PowerVR Kyro II 64MB
Soundcard: Soundblaster Live! CT4670
Networking: 3Com 10/100 PCI NIC
USB: NEC USB 2.0 Card
HDD: Maxtor 80GB IDE HDD
Disc Drive: LG CD-RW Drive
Floppy Drive: 3,5' 1.44MB Floppy Drive

Peripherals:
Monitor: Phillips 107E
Keyboard: IBM Model M, German Layout, 1993
Mouse: Logitech G5
Mousepad: Steelseries QCK
Speakers: NEC WO-SPKR2B

CsxFeS0h.jpg

The case is a spare I had lying around. I don't know the manufacturer but with these old cases that's not rare.
It has a sliding door with notches at each of the drive bays. The steel inside is a bit sharp but I managed to avoid any unintentional bloodletting.

vqn6spHh.jpg?1

qduC2nzh.jpg?1

The inside of the case is quite spacious with enough room for all my hardware. The 3,5' drive cage is removable.

MVqW1mzh.jpg

This is the first Slotket I ever used. It came with the motherboard. I can't say much other that I works well.
The previous owner added a thermal probe. The motherboard has a header for it. I of course cleaned the cooler and replaced the thermal paste.

X5A3wH9h.jpg

While the motherboard only says AB BX6, I'm pretty sure it is the REV 2.0 version.
All information I could find point to the <2.0 versions to have three ISA slots. Since this one has only two I concluded it's the Rev 2.0.
Also note the Kyro II.

mh0G0m7h.jpg

I try to put at least a network card, USB 2.0 Card and DirectSound compatible soundcard in my late 90s PCs. The USB card is nearly a necessity since any file transfer other than drivers takes ages.
For sound I used a Sound Blaster Live! for it's DOS emulation and EAX features. The network card is a 3com 10/100 PCI NIC.

99ixXNwh.jpg

Since I had most of the hardware lying around I already had most of the drivers I needed. Getting this system to run was suprisingly hassle free.
Maybe I'm too used to troubleshooting the VIA based boards. It only took me about 3 hours to get this system from parts pile to fully functional.

rQv6paih.jpg

Even though It doesn't have the Glide eye candy the Kyro II works very nicely in NFS III Hot Pursuit. It's one of my favourite racing games.

tJ1FIj1h.jpg

Unreal and Unreal Tournament are working well too. At highest graphic settings at 800x600 32 bit they run at over 50fps. 1024x768 is only marginally worse.

tXkgvyMh.jpg

Half Life is very smooth even at 1280x960. Gotta have that game on any PC capable of running it.

S2tArF6h.jpg

While it's not particularly demanding, Diablo II is one of my standard games to install on any freshly built Windows 98 machine.

jI2Si7yh.jpg

If you want to see the pictures in higher resolution, click here.

So that's it, I hope you guys like it!

Dual 1GHz Pentium III machine
700MHz Pentium III machine
550MHz PIII IBM 300PL
Socket 7 machine, CPU yet undecided
100MHz AMD 486DX4 machine

Reply 1 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Nice looking system! I'd get a fdd and cd drive that matches the case, but that's it.
You cable management is grate too, you don't see that much around here too!

Reply 2 of 14, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I gotta check if I have any drives that match better, but since they're mostly covered up by the sliding door, it's not a high priority for me.
Thanks on the cable management! I put it together very quickly. Usually I get out the rubber bands and zip ties to do my cable management but I was in a rush yesterday.

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 3 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I have the exact same case!
It must be one of the earliest ATX cases, as I also happen to have the AT-variant of this case.
Terrible airflow, but it looks really good I think!

And very nice to see a Kyro in action 😀

What I don't get though, is how you're having 64MB and 128MB with 2 SDRAMs with 2x8 chips, I never seen a 64MB SDRAM module with 16 chips before. Most PC-100 64MB SDRAMs have 8 chips on one side and the other side empty, or they have only 4 chips in total.

There were 32MB modules with 2x8 chips (I think everyone here knows about these early DIMMs), so I'm just being curious.

And your system looks clean and sleek, almost boring! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 14, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Tetrium!

The case originally housed a Pentium II 266mhz system, but I currently don't have much use for that. I quite like it.

Hehe, the kyro is working pretty great, although the fan is a bit loud.

I didn't give the RAM much thought. I checked the model number just now and it's really a 64mb stick, not maybe a 128 with failed modules. However it is PC133 not PC100 as I said. I meant that they were running at 100mhz.

Here's a close up picture of the two modules. I put in a single 256MB stick instead.

SDplIgMh.jpg

Well, it's beige so of course it looks boring. Those are so out of fashion 🤣

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 6 of 14, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh, funny. I picked it up locally recently. The guy wanted 2€ for it. It's working great. Got all the adjustments and the picture looks pretty good.

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 7 of 14, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hellistor : awesome pictures! Your stuff is clean and sharp, your pictures are of a very high quality. Maybe you can talk about how you did them ?

Reply 8 of 14, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For my photos I use an Olympus OM-D EM5 Mark II with an Olympus 12-50mm lens.
I try to keep the room dark when taking pictures of the screen to minimize glare.
Other than that I use the automatic setting.

Here's a pic of the camera, taken with my phone.

WkDh7T0h.jpg

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 9 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice system, even better you have someone to have a few games with.
Was spoilt last year my best mate from high school came over so relived the old days with a few games of Red Alert .
Then my brother came over for longer so played Doom's, Warcraft 1 & 2, C&C and RA. Also bit of Micro Machines 2 and Rampart while the other PC was installing something. Great times.

Reply 10 of 14, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While singleplayer games are great, the experience of playing in a LAN is something very special. I wish more modern games had LAN support.

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 11 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hellistor wrote:
Thanks Tetrium! […]
Show full quote

Thanks Tetrium!

The case originally housed a Pentium II 266mhz system, but I currently don't have much use for that. I quite like it.

Hehe, the kyro is working pretty great, although the fan is a bit loud.

I didn't give the RAM much thought. I checked the model number just now and it's really a 64mb stick, not maybe a 128 with failed modules. However it is PC133 not PC100 as I said. I meant that they were running at 100mhz.

Here's a close up picture of the two modules. I put in a single 256MB stick instead.

SDplIgMh.jpg

Well, it's beige so of course it looks boring. Those are so out of fashion 🤣

I looked up the part numer of your taller DIMM (HYM7V631601) and it's apparently a 128MB module.
The other one has marking which look kinda cheap to me. Is that your 64MB module? I still think it's weird 🤣

And about your case, apparently the AT case which I thought was the same made, apparently has too many differences compared to the ATX case, but I did find out I do have 2 different variants of the ATX case and they may reveal clues to where these came from.

white and blue cases slid down.jpg
Filename
white and blue cases slid down.jpg
File size
205.79 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
white and blue cases slid up.jpg
Filename
white and blue cases slid up.jpg
File size
239.1 KiB
Views
File license

Both cases are basically identical, except for the white case not having those blue lines.

The cases themselves reveal very little, but apparently both still happen to have their original I/O shields installed (the ones that came with the cases) and these were apparently made in Taiwan

markings blue case.jpg
Filename
markings blue case.jpg
File size
270.19 KiB
Views
File license
markings white case.jpg
Filename
markings white case.jpg
File size
351.06 KiB
Views
File license

As a bonus, the white case also had this sticker of a motherboard stuck to the bottom of the case and I think I recognize this board. Iirc it's a s370 BX board and the model number indicates it's a Chaintech.

sticker bottomside white case.jpg
Filename
sticker bottomside white case.jpg
File size
328.33 KiB
Views
File license

So its manufacturer was probably from Taiwan and was building cases at the end of the 90s.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 14, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That case looks much better with the completely beige front. Wish I had that one.

Mine came with a Pentium II 266MHz based system with an Asus P2L97, a Matrox MY220P/BIZ4I with a MGA-MYST/RRSTI module, a Terratec Maestro 32/96, a DLink DE-530, and a Quantum Fireball 5GB. It also looks like it's the original I/O shield.

I don't have much use for the Pentium II right now. I already have a Pentium MMX 233MHz build for my DOS needs and the PII is a bit weak for Windows 98 gaming in my opinion. Maybe I'll build something out of it in the future.

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 14 of 14, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used the Kyro 2 because it was the only one I had laying around that was in the same rough performance bracket as my other two Win 98 Machines.
My Witch Doctor has a Geforce2 Ti and my Athlon 900MHz build has a Geforce2 MX400 64MB. I also have an ATI Rage 128 Fury, some Rage IIc cards but they're a bit slow compared to the Kyro II.

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL