VOGONS

Reply 120 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that I know what your situation is, I must say it IS applicable to yours. 😀
You only need 3 instances of FSMP and 2 software cables. First set the 1st instance of FSMP to output to Midi yoke 1. Set the 2nd instance of FSMP to get Input from Midi Yoke 1 and send output to Midi yoke 2. Set the 3rd instance of FSMP to get Input from Midi Yoke 1 and send output to HW MIDI-out where your SC-55 is. Finally set SCVA to get input from Midi-yoke 2. You can individually set Volume/Mute/Controllers/anything from the 3 instances of FSMP. The 1st set the global values the 2nd and 3rd can set SCVA and SC-55 values respectively.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2016-06-11, 18:45. Edited 4 times in total.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 122 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to remember to close the first instance last, so only it's settings will be saved.

Not necessarily. FSMP is designed as a (potentially) portable app. You can find the 'Storage of settings ->Store settings in INI file' option in the main menu. This way each instance can save its own settings in its own folder individually. (You have to make 3 separate folders of FSMP for this to work. Considering the relatively small size of the whole distribution it's not a big waste of space.)

Reply 123 of 1688, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you.

I would like to make a special request.
I need to send my own SYX file each reset, and not have to send it each time manually.

The reason for that is the SC-55 has low polyphony (28) and it uses something called "Voice Reserve" to distribute and prioritize the available polyphony across the channels.
BUT the default values (each reset) are totally wrong and reserve nothing for the 11-16 channels, making them cut off the sounds on many midi files if tracks 1-10 take all 28 available sounds.
The only way to change the Voice Reserve for each channel is by sysex or front panel.

Roland completely removed the "Voice Reserve" function from SC-88 and on, because 64 polyphony was enough not to bother with the distribution of it across the channels.

Here is an example for this on a real SC-55:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ndCckv-lww
You can hear in the first 10 second that the Bell cuts off (its on channel 13), but 10 seconds on it plays fine.

I attached the midi.

Attachments

• Filename
    HUMAN1GM.zip
    File size
    11.91 KiB
    Downloads
    139 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 124 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, that's reasonable so I will definitely implement it when I will have free time. For the time being I suggest that you set the reset type to 'No Sysex' and deselect 'Enable sysex in files' option. Then send your custom sysex once. This way your configuration is preserved for the whole session.

Reply 125 of 1688, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you Falco, I'm sure an automatic custom SYX reset will be useful in other situations besides this one.

EDIT:
I have written a sysex message for custom Voice Reserve to all channels as I think it would be ideal for the SC-55 MKII, and a GS reset right before that.
It works. 😀

Basically I distributed the faulty default voice reserve settings across all channel more equally.
Why Roland chose to use only 24 reserved voices in the MKII and eliminate channels 11-16 completely is a mystery...
No channel left without at least 1 voice reserved, I used all 28 voices across all channels.
No more instrument cut offs in Warcraft 2 and in the previous midis I posted. 😀

F0 41 10 42 12 40 00 7F 00 41 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 01 10 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 01 01 01 01 13 F7

Yellow is default, Green is my configuration.

SC-55 Voice Reserve.png
Filename
SC-55 Voice Reserve.png
File size
27.31 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 126 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
I have added custom sysex reset type. Since custom sysex files can be quite large and even with minimal delay can be very time consuming they are not sent at program start\close. But they are sent at every load so pay attention to your sysex delay settings.
Please test it.
Download location is the same.

Reply 127 of 1688, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It Works! Perfect! Thank you.

FSMP sends the custom reset on program start, but not on program exit.
Yes I realize that the SYX is sent on every load and its consequences.

Reply 128 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FSMP sends the custom reset on program start, but not on program exit.

No, it's a load since you have item(s) on your playlist. If you had no items on your playlist a normal reset would be sent at start but not in case of custom sysex (a 'No sysex' type reset is sent).
The main reason is that with large sysex files the player would not be visible for seconds while sending the file.

Reply 129 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the first sysex in the red box is a balance re-applying (preventing default balance to be applied after a sysex) and the second is your custom settings. What is the problem ?

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2016-06-12, 08:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 130 of 1688, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You replies before I was able to edit.

My custom SysEx:

F0 41 10 42 12 40 00 7F 00 41 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 01 10 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 02 01 01 01 01 13 F7

SC-VA or SC-55 will not respond to the GS reset before the Volume+Pan changes.
Usually I see the Volume dial jump momentarily to full, and back to the FSMP setting, this does not happen when using my custom sysex.

Custom.png
Filename
Custom.png
File size
25.92 KiB
Views
File license

EDIT:
Okay, the Delay is misplaced.
The delay happens after the fourth line (GS Master Volume) instead after the first line (GS Reset).

EDIT2:
It appears the GS Reset is not catching even with SC-VA when there is less than 50ms Delay when using "Use sysex for Volume/Balance".

Last edited by James-F on 2016-06-12, 09:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 131 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It appears the GS Reset is not catching even with SC-VA when there is less than 50ms Delay when using "Use sysex for Volume/Balance".

I don't think it's true. Maybe you don't see on the main volume bar of SCVA but it responds to GS reset even with a 0 ms delay. Try this: in SCVA effect panel set efx type to anything but 'Thru'.
You will see that it will reset to 'Thru' responding to GS reset.

Okay, the Delay is misplaced.

The delay is exactly on the right place. If you set the delay right after GS reset then you will hear a very annoying volume pop/click when you press reset and anything is played.

[EDIT]
Right now the 'custom sysex' option sends Volume/Balance restore messages twice in case of known sysex reset messages.
The rationale behind the second one is this: There can be unknown sysex messages that reset the volume/balance but are not recognized by the player. So it is always sent at the end.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2016-06-12, 10:18. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 132 of 1688, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed the SC-VA or the SC-55 screen (GUI) are slower than the two volume sysex commands one after the other.
Thanks, all is right then.

Right now the 'custom sysex' option sends Volume/Balance restore messages twice in case of known sysex reset messages.
The rationale behind the second is this: There can be unknown sysex messages that resets the volume/balance but are not recognized by the player. So it is always sent at the end.

Yes, that is indeed necessary.

Reply 133 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The master balance works for you with SC-VA?

Yes, it is working flawlessly. There is a problem with SCVA/SAVIHOST when you modify midi input/output settings without a restart. In this case neither Master volume nor Balance work.
But after a restart both of them work.

Reply 134 of 1688, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote:

The master balance works for you with SC-VA?

Yes, it is working flawlessly. There is a problem with SCVA/SAVIHOST when you modify midi input/output settings without a restart. In this case neither Master volume nor Balance work.
But after a restart both of them work.

Thanks, I am aware of that problem.
I forgot to turn the ALL button to see the effect of master balance on the SC-VA GUI... 😊

Reply 135 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your SC-55 does not respond to Volume/Balance ?

Reply 137 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I'm glad 😀
Do you think v3.6 can be released in the current state ?

Reply 139 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Version 3.6 is officially released. Download locations are on the topic starter page.

version 3.6

1. Added Capital Tone Feedback emulation. Useful in case of synths that play wrong instrument or completely stay silent when an invalid bank is referred. More info in Howto/Faq.
2. Added to the Channel select, Key offset, and Scale effect right click context menu a more verbose channel info with preset names. This way it's easier to find the right channel.
3. Added custom sysex reset type. Moreover sysex delay settings are applied to other sysex reset types.
4. Added Mute/Solo Attenuate compatibility setting. It results in vanBasco like attenuation instead of pure on/off state when Mute/Solo applied to a channel.
5. Added Enable Sysex from Midi in option. Similarly to Enable Sysex in Files it filters Sysex messages in disabled state.
6. Added Apply controls to Midi in option. In parallel to CTF it enables to use Force Manual Mode (controller filter), Mute/Solo and Key Offset on Midi Input.
Enabled state is more optimal for message processor mode while disabled is more optimal for jamming (the controls only affect the played file).
7. Added Set Missing Defaults compatibility option. Enabled state is the ordinary one while in disabled state it can help avoiding the buggy LoopBE feedback detect error.
It can also help in some rare cases when wrong instrument is played. Most obvious side effect is instrument selection is not always preserved when seeking.
8. Fixed some AV errors related to playlist handling.