VOGONS

Reply 20 of 127, by falloutboy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's my data what I have collected up until now:

Names printed on motherboards: PC/PCI, SB-Link, SIDEBAND1, ..more?

Support for PC-PCI was only up to intel ICH5 chip supported. Source: PCI sound cards and Chipsets from various manufacturers...
VIA VT82C596 series (596+596A+596B) supports PC-PCI.
VIA VT82C686B doesn't seem to have PC-PCI, it's not mentioned in the datasheet anymore.

This is my random list 😀

Super Socket 7:

Epox EP-MVP3C
Epox EP-MVP3C2
Epox EP-MVP3G-M
Epox EP-MVP3G2
Epox EP-MVP3G5

NMC-5VM5e clone of ? Epox EP-MVP3C ?
NMC-5VMe clone of ? Epox EP-MVP3C ?
NMC-5VMX clone of ? Epox EP-MVP3G2 ?
NMC-5VX-2 clone of ? Epox EP-MVP3G5 ?

Trigem / eMachines Delhi-III

Slot A (AMD):

Slot 1 (Intel):

Abit BE6-II (with SB-Link connector)
ABIT BX-6 Revision 2.0

Asus P2B - Intel 440BX - 1x AGP / 4x PCI / 3x ISA / 3x SDRam
ASUS P2B-B Rev. 1.02 - Intel BX - 1x AGP / 3x PCI / 2x ISA / 3x SDRam
ASUS P2B-D - 2x CPU - 1x AGP / 4x PCI / 2x ISA / 4x SDRam
ASUS P2B-DS - 2x CPU - 1x AGP / 4x PCI / 2x ISA / 4x SDRam
ASUS P2B-S - 1x AGP / 4x PCI / 2x ISA / 4x SDRam

DFI PA61 - VIA VT82C596B - 1x AGP / 4x PCI / 3x ISA / 3x SDRam
ECS P6BAT-A+ - VIA VT82C596B - 1x AGP / 4x PCI / 2x ISA / 3x SDRam
ECS P6BAT-Me Rev:1.1 - Slot 1 & Socket 370 - VIA VT82C596A - 1x AGP / 3x PCI / 1x ISA / 3x SDRam
Gigabyte GA-6BXC - Intel 440BX - 1x AGP / 4x PCI / 3x ISA / 3x SDRam
Intel Desktop Board VC820 - Intel 820 - AGP 3,3V & 1,5V - 1x AGP / 5x PCI / 2x SDRam
NMC 6BAX+ Rev:0.5 - Intel 440BX - 1x AGP / 4x PCI / 3x ISA / 3x SDRam
NMC 6BCX+ Rev:0.3 - Intel 440BX - 1x AGP / 5x PCI / 2x ISA / 3x SDRam
Legend QDI P6I440BX
Soyo SY-6BA+ IV
Tekram P6Pro-A5 - VIA VT82C596B - 1x AGP / 5x PCI / 2x ISA / 3x SDRam

Needs to be checked: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/review-sl … ipset,67-2.html

Socket 370 (Intel):

ECS P6BAT-A+ - VIA - 1x AGP / 4x PCI / 2x ISA / 3x SDRam
ECS P6BAT-A+ - VIA VT82C596B - 1x AGP / 4x PCI / 2x ISA / 3x SDRam
ECS P6BAT-Me Rev:1.1 - Slot 1 & Socket 370 - VIA VT82C596A - 1x AGP / 3x PCI / 1x ISA / 3x SDRam

QDI P6V693A/A9

Shuttle AV11 V3.0 - VIA - 1x AGP / 5x PCI / 2x ISA / 3x SDRam

DUAL Socket 370 (Intel):

Abit BP6

Socket A / 462 (AMD):

Pentium 4 based:

Legend QDI PlatiniX 2DI-AL/C - 1x AGP 4x / 4x PCI / 1x ISA / 2x SDRam

Reply 21 of 127, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When you see a MB with SB-Link solder pads report it here too. Such MBs sometimes may to work with SB-Link if to solder the SB-Link header. The example is Asus P3B-F. How the SB-Link header looks is seen on Asus P2B.

Especial interest is for i8xx chipsets boards for Tualatin and P4. These chipsets support SB-Link. Boards with other chipsets for CPUs with similar performance are interesting too.

Last edited by Tertz on 2016-06-17, 20:33. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 22 of 127, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The motherboard ECS 848P-A (P4, chipset i848) that I had reported previously as having solder pads for what appears to be PC/PCI, does not in fact allow sound to work in DOS after a header is soldered there and a sound card connected to it. The solder pads are not actually labeled "PC/PCI" as I've seen on other motherboards, but rather "SIRQ". I thought that's pretty close but in fact it does not work (after solving IRQ/INTA# issues and using a driver patched for ICH5).

Full description of the testing in YMF744, DOS, no DMA? (PC/PCI, SB-link tests) (edit YES DMA, read further down)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 23 of 127, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

The motherboard ECS 848P-A (P4, chipset i848) that I had reported previously as having solder pads for what appears to be PC/PCI, does not in fact allow sound to work in DOS after a header is soldered there and a sound card connected to it. The solder pads are not actually labeled "PC/PCI" as I've seen on other motherboards, but rather "SIRQ". I thought that's pretty close but in fact it does not work (after solving IRQ/INTA# issues and using a driver patched for ICH5).

Full description of the testing in YMF744, DOS, no DMA? (PC/PCI, SB-link tests) (edit YES DMA, read further down)

did you have luck with the Platinix 2E/333?

btw. i bought anoter PC parts lot and found the same board as well, only solder pads though

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 24 of 127, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carlos S. M. wrote:

did you have luck with the Platinix 2E/333?

btw. i bought anoter PC parts lot and found the same board as well, only solder pads though

Yes, the PlatiniX 2e/333 works wonderfully in DOS with a Yamaha PCI card. See full description of all the testing in the other thread. It is now my favorite DOS testing system. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25 of 127, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sort of OT...

Is there a thread anywhere that has a list of sound cards with the SB-Link header? The YMF-724 is the only card I ever see mentioned as having an SB-Link. I have a couple of them, I'm just curious if there are any others out there. Seems odd for it to be called SB-Link and yet only be used by Yamaha.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 26 of 127, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen SB-link headers on other types of PCI cards. Off the top of my head, some ESS chipset and CS4614 cards.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 27 of 127, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a DFI PA61 with an SB-Link header.

Now if only the motherboard was stable.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 28 of 127, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are two AT boards with SB-link header. Got the first one myself.
Azza PT-6IBT, Intel 440BX
Azza PT-6IZT, Intel 440ZX

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 29 of 127, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just stumbled upon this board:

AOpen AP5TC (Socket 7, Intel 430TX) manual (PDF) SB-LINK info on p. 9 and 22

Couldn't find big pictures though, and older model AP5T doesn't seem to have it.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 30 of 127, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been doing a bunch of research on Socket 462/A AMD motherboards for my next build, and I've discovered the following boards all have PC/PCI/SB-Link headers:
Syntax SV266M
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813183009 (just to the right of the battery, unpopulated pads)
Shuttle MK32(N)
http://www.shuttle.eu/_archive/older/en/mk32.htm (beneath the southbridge, at the edge of the board. Labeled PC_PCI)
Shuttle MK35(N)
http://www.shuttle.eu/_archive/older/en/prod/ … /big/mk35vn.jpg (to the right of the battery, marked JP4)
ECS L7VMM2 (1.0 and 1.1 revisions only)
http://mlb-d2-p.mlstatic.com/placa-mae-ecs-l7 … pg?square=false (to the right of the battery, marked JP4, just like the Shuttle Mk35)

This is great news for anyone wanting to build an AMD based Win98 machine with full DOS sound (especially with those unlocked Thunderbirds).
If anyone has these motherboards, can they confirm?

Reply 31 of 127, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DNSDies wrote:
I've been doing a bunch of research on Socket 462/A AMD motherboards for my next build, and I've discovered the following boards […]
Show full quote

I've been doing a bunch of research on Socket 462/A AMD motherboards for my next build, and I've discovered the following boards all have PC/PCI/SB-Link headers:
Syntax SV266M
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813183009 (just to the right of the battery, unpopulated pads)
Shuttle MK32(N)
http://www.shuttle.eu/_archive/older/en/mk32.htm (beneath the southbridge, at the edge of the board. Labeled PC_PCI)
Shuttle MK35(N)
http://www.shuttle.eu/_archive/older/en/prod/ … /big/mk35vn.jpg (to the right of the battery, marked JP4)
ECS L7VMM2 (1.0 and 1.1 revisions only)
http://mlb-d2-p.mlstatic.com/placa-mae-ecs-l7 … pg?square=false (to the right of the battery, marked JP4, just like the Shuttle Mk35)

This is great news for anyone wanting to build an AMD based Win98 machine with full DOS sound (especially with those unlocked Thunderbirds).
If anyone has these motherboards, can they confirm?

Beware, there are other motherboards that have unpopulated headers that look like PC/PCI but aren't. For instance I have a i848 motherboard that has a very similar header, that is even labeled "serial IRQ" but doesn't function as PC/PCI (tested by me). Until physically tested and verified working you can't say for sure. Here are my thoughts:

1. Syntax SV266M uses KM266 chipset, which means the southbridge is either VT8231 or VT8233. I can't find anywhere the datasheet for VT8233, but in the datasheet for VT8231 it appears that it doesn't actually have the signals for PC/PCI but instead uses the same simulation of it through a serial IRQ mechanism as the i848 does, and that won't work as SB-link (at least I don't think it will based on my experience, but I hope someone can prove me wrong).

(edit) And of course I was wrong. 😀 The VIA chipsets of that era are a bit of a mess of combinations of NB+SB of different generations. It appears that on this particular motherboard the "KM266" is made up with the VT8235 southbridge (normally used in the KT400 chipset), which from the datasheet DOES have the appropriate signals for PC/PCI, so it's likely that it'll work. Good find, need someone to confirm by actually testing it.

2. Shuttle MK32(N) uses VT8233A as southbridge, and again the datasheet for that one is not available so can't say. Needs real world testing.

3. Shuttle MK32N/VN does use VT8235, so it's likely that it does indeed have PC/PCI. Needs testing for confirmation.

4. ECS L7VMM2 uses again VT8235 as southbridge, so it may also have real PC/PCI. Needs testing for confirmation.

Thanks for the info, I had the impression that VIA chipsets for AMD from that era had removed PC/PCI altogether, but apparently there are exceptions.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 34 of 127, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

Here are two AT boards with SB-link header. Got the first one myself.
Azza PT-6IBT, Intel 440BX
Azza PT-6IZT, Intel 440ZX

I have an Azza mobo that is Intel 810-based, the 810DMC (Rev. 2.4) that has PC/PCI (labeled SB-Link).

Is there a thread on Vogons that explains in simple terms how to take use this feature? I have a Yamaha 724-based sound card and the six-pin cable.

Reply 35 of 127, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:

I have an Azza mobo that is Intel 810-based, the 810DMC (Rev. 2.4) that has PC/PCI (labeled SB-Link).

Is there a thread on Vogons that explains in simple terms how to take use this feature? I have a Yamaha 724-based sound card and the six-pin cable.

Describe your problem.

Reply 36 of 127, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DNSDies wrote:

Well, we'll know about the MK32 soon. I just bought one off ebay.

And also about the ECS L7VMM2. I bought one of those.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 37 of 127, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sprcorreia wrote:

Describe your problem.

The "DMA MODE" option in SETUPDS (v3.16) is always greyed out.

Also, SETUPDS says that it "Can not detect DMA at channel 1."

I've reserved IRQ 5 and DMA 1 as Legacy in BIOS, and I've tried the YMF724 in all of the PCI slots. I've even transposed the 6-pin cable just in case I had it reversed.

I should add that I don't have Windows on this HDD; I'm trying to get this to work in a pure DOS environment.

Reply 38 of 127, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Setupds.exe is a program that was made before chipsets like the i810 existed. It does not have it in its internal list of chipset IDs that it can work with.

The solution is to hexedit setupds.exe and add the ID of the chipset you're using so that setupds recognizes it and ungreys the options. There are directions on how to do it in another thread here YMF744, DOS, no DMA? (PC/PCI, SB-link tests) (edit YES DMA, read further down)&

Essentially setupds.exe has to be customized for any chipset newer that i440.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 39 of 127, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

Setupds.exe is a program that was made before chipsets like the i810 existed. It does not have it in its internal list of chipset IDs that it can work with.

The solution is to hexedit setupds.exe and add the ID of the chipset you're using so that setupds recognizes it and ungreys the options. There are directions on how to do it in another thread here YMF744, DOS, no DMA? (PC/PCI, SB-link tests) (edit YES DMA, read further down)&

Essentially setupds.exe has to be customized for any chipset newer that i440.

Ah, thank you. Doing a hexedit of SETUPDS sounds like something beyond my ability, but I will try the DSDMA TSR.