VOGONS

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?

Topic actions

First post, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided to make a post about Pentium 4 collections and maybe related stuff to the Intel Pentium 4 as well.

Some questions and answers about it:
How i ended getting too many Pentium 4s? Easy, trash PCs picking, PC parts lots, old/dead PCs... etc

What is missing in my collection? Any mobile Pentium 4, Any Extreme Edition Pentium 4, P4s clocked higher than 3.4 Ghz, some Northwoods, some Willamettes.. etc

Do i plan to find more P4s? Yes, but i priotize models which i generally don't have or are rare

What is the most rare i have? I'm no really sure, the 2.6 Ghz FSB 400 is one of them

Also, i'll share my list of all Pentium 4 CPUs i have (Total P4 CPUs as 5th March 2017: 129)

Willamette:
2x Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz (Socket 423)
7x Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz (Socket 478)
Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz (Socket 423)
3x Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz (Socket 478)
2x Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz (Socket 478)

Northwood:
2x Pentium 4 1.8A Ghz
6x Pentium 4 2.0A Ghz
Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz (FSB 400)
8x Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz (FSB 533)
5x Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz
Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz
4x Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz
3x Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz (FSB 533)
2x Pentium 4 HT 2.6C Ghz
7x Pentium 4 HT 2.8C Ghz
3x Pentium 4 HT 3.0C Ghz
3x Pentium 4 HT 3.2C Ghz
Mobile Pentium 4 HT 3.06 Ghz

Prescott (known as Pres-Hot to some people xD):
Pentium 4 2.8A Ghz (FSB533)
Pentium 4 HT 2.8E Ghz
16x Pentium 4 HT 3.0E Ghz
5x Pentium 4 HT 3.2E Ghz
Pentium 4 HT 3.4E Ghz
2x Pentium 4 516
3x Pentium 4 HT 520
Pentium 4 HT 521
2x Pentium 4 HT 530
4x Pentium 4 HT 530J
3x Pentium 4 HT 531
Pentium 4 HT 540
2x Pentium 4 HT 540J
2x Pentium 4 HT 550
2x Pentium 4 HT 550J
6x Pentium 4 HT 630
6x Pentium 4 HT 640
6x Pentium 4 HT 650
Pentium 4 HT 670

Celdar Mill:
Pentium 4 HT 631
Pentium 4 HT 661

Gallatin:
None yet

Last edited by Carlos S. M. on 2017-03-05, 02:09. Edited 8 times in total.

Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 1 of 94, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

never had any pentium4 cpus or motherboards cause i firmly believe them to be pure fraud since the day of its release, although the northwood and cedar mill ones are slightly more usable.
for similar performance, go with either k7 or k8. but no, never any room for pentium4!

Reply 3 of 94, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never had a Pentium 4. I had a Pentium II 350 MHz, then an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.56GHz, then a Pentium M 2.1GHz, then a Core i7-860 2.8 GHz, then a Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz. I dunno where the Pentium 4 fits in there.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 4 of 94, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
noshutdown wrote:

never had any pentium4 cpus or motherboards cause i firmly believe them to be pure fraud since the day of its release

How can they be "pure fraud" if they... you know... exist. 😉

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 94, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got a few, they just started piling up without much trying.

I did hunt down a few specific chips, mostly the EE and Prescott for 478, they are a bit harder to find and not cheap.

I like P4, I know there is lots of hate for the platform, but I never had issues with them. P4 covers a wide range, from 1.4 GHz to 3.8 GHz, from a Pentium III replacement to an Athlon 64 opponent, something for everyone.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 94, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure he's referring to their architecture--in as much as the Pentium III's P6 architecture was superior to the Netburst of the P4--in fact Pentium M processors, which are part of the Centrino family, and borrow from both P6 and Netburst were also superior to Netburst, itself.

Reply 7 of 94, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'll probably want to record the "S-Spec" numbers written on the CPUs for easy identification.

I wound up with a big pile of those, once – bought a big box of CPUs with bent pins and had a merry time straightening them out and testing them one by one. I eventually managed to sell them on eBay because why does anyone need a big box of CPUs, honestly?

Reply 8 of 94, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ended up with lots of P4 chips unintentionally, like philscomputerlab mentioned. Nothing like the number that Carlos has though. I think at least half of them came from thrift store and garbage retrieved PCs, especially Dells. Most of the rest came from bulk lots. The only P4s I remember purchasing individually were a couple of LGA775 chips and a 3.0GHz/800 Prescott 478 for a PC I put together several months ago.
I used to be completely a K7 guy but they don't seem to have held up well in newer applications. In recent times I've found the Northwood and Prescott to be noticeably better for modern usage, plus the cost premium for P4 no longer exists. In fact it's pretty likely I'll be buying another high end mPGA478 chip for an upcoming system build. I have a relative that could use a cheap PC and with the parts I have around I can throw together a high-end P4 for almost nothing.

Reply 9 of 94, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did a LGA 775 project two years ago which "required" a few Pentium 4's (LGA 775 only kind).
Also, I don't count in Pentium D's or Celeron D's (as they don't have "4" in name 😉).
All CPU's from the list were bought by me (I didn't get them for free).

The list :
Gallatin
2x Pentium Extreme Edition 3,46GHz (rev. M0)

Prescott
1x Pentium 4 570J 3,8GHz (rev. E0)

Prescott-2M
1x Pentium 4 670 3,8GHz (rev. R0)
1x Pentium Extreme Edition 3,73GHz (rev. N0)

Cedar Mill
1x Pentium 4 651 3,4GHz (rev. D0)

It's nowhere near as big as OP's, but it has it's moments 😀
670 and 570J models were from eBay (China import), the rest I found on allegro (it's still "eBay" for Poland, despite "eBay.pl" already running 😉).

157143230295.png

Reply 10 of 94, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I got a few, they just started piling up without much trying.

I did hunt down a few specific chips, mostly the EE and Prescott for 478, they are a bit harder to find and not cheap.

I like P4, I know there is lots of hate for the platform, but I never had issues with them. P4 covers a wide range, from 1.4 GHz to 3.8 GHz, from a Pentium III replacement to an Athlon 64 opponent, something for everyone.

Well it hapened to me when i started, but also i do find and if is possible, get some specific models. I have the complete Socket 478 Prescott P4 HT family though, prescotts are very esasy to find here, especially the 2.8E, 3.0E and 3.2E no mentioning their LGA 775 variants as well like 520/520J/521, 530/530J/530, 540/540J/541, 630 and 640. Northwood P4 HTs are harder to find here

Logistics wrote:

I'm sure he's referring to their architecture--in as much as the Pentium III's P6 architecture was superior to the Netburst of the P4--in fact Pentium M processors, which are part of the Centrino family, and borrow from both P6 and Netburst were also superior to Netburst, itself.

Yes, P4 architerture didn't have good clock per clock perfomance compared to the Pentium III and AMD, the Pentium M also beats the Pentium 4 clock per clock too. I remember one time trying PassMark Perfomance Test V8 on my Socket 423 build and turned out my 1.5 Ghz Willamette got better single thread score than a first gen Atom aparently, i'm still not really sure if Pentium 4 has better clock per clock perfomance than the older Atoms or not

Jorpho wrote:

You'll probably want to record the "S-Spec" numbers written on the CPUs for easy identification.

I wound up with a big pile of those, once – bought a big box of CPUs with bent pins and had a merry time straightening them out and testing them one by one. I eventually managed to sell them on eBay because why does anyone need a big box of CPUs, honestly?

I have some lists in .xlsx format with the models of each P4 along with it's corresponding S-Spec as well

shamino wrote:

I ended up with lots of P4 chips unintentionally, like philscomputerlab mentioned. Nothing like the number that Carlos has though. I think at least half of them came from thrift store and garbage retrieved PCs, especially Dells. Most of the rest came from bulk lots. The only P4s I remember purchasing individually were a couple of LGA775 chips and a 3.0GHz/800 Prescott 478 for a PC I put together several months ago.
I used to be completely a K7 guy but they don't seem to have held up well in newer applications. In recent times I've found the Northwood and Prescott to be noticeably better for modern usage, plus the cost premium for P4 no longer exists. In fact it's pretty likely I'll be buying another high end mPGA478 chip for an upcoming system build. I have a relative that could use a cheap PC and with the parts I have around I can throw together a high-end P4 for almost nothing.

It does happen too when you get too many PCs during the time, about the K7, the K7 couldn't handle modern applications better because some current programs are optimized for SSE2 or not even run it at all due to the SSE2 requeriment. Programs like Google Chrome, Office 2013+, several modern videogames, Windows 8+, FRAPS 3.5.xx and some more strictly needs SSE2 to work

agent_x007 wrote:
I did a LGA 775 project two years ago which "required" a few Pentium 4's (LGA 775 only kind). Also, I don't count in Pentium D' […]
Show full quote

I did a LGA 775 project two years ago which "required" a few Pentium 4's (LGA 775 only kind).
Also, I don't count in Pentium D's or Celeron D's (as they don't have "4" in name 😉).
All CPU's from the list were bought by me (I didn't get them for free).

The list :
Gallatin
2x Pentium Extreme Edition 3,46GHz (rev. M0)

Prescott
1x Pentium 4 570J 3,8GHz (rev. E0)

Prescott-2M
1x Pentium 4 670 3,8GHz (rev. R0)
1x Pentium Extreme Edition 3,73GHz (rev. N0)

Cedar Mill
1x Pentium 4 651 3,4GHz (rev. D0)

It's nowhere near as big as OP's, but it has it's moments 😀
670 and 570J models were from eBay (China import), the rest I found on allegro (it's still "eBay" for Poland, despite "eBay.pl" already running 😉).

I knew you have such high end Extreme Edition P4s when i saw some of your comments in CPU World (I always go to that page when i find info for an specific CPU). I was trying to hunt down a Gallatin... the only CPUs i found were some P4 EE 3.2GHz SL7AA for around 40-60 € depending and a single P4 EE 3.4 Ghz SL7CH for ~110 € which are expensive for me.

Reply 11 of 94, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My P4 collection is probably the largest and undoubtedly the most famous:

1) Pentium 4 3.0 Prescott SL79L.

That's it so far 😁 Tbh, I don't even have a motherboard to test it.

Reply 12 of 94, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have that many P4s actually. Most I got simply because they were part of a purchase of something that I did want to get (most often untested systems for like €10 each or n either good motherboard or a too-cheap-to-pass-up motherboard which-is-still nice.

And most of the time, when I removed that CPU heatsink and wiped off all the excess TIM, I got another slight and slow disappointment 🤣!

But I do have a few more interesting and useful parts, like a few Northwoods at 3 or 3.2GHz and a single s423 2.0GHz which I never got around to test as I only got me a s423 board a couple years later I think.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 94, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only have a handful of P4s. They are all socket 478 and FSB400/533.
Actually I am trying to avoid Pentium 4s like a cold in the summer 😁

It's not a bad cpu, but in my opinion, not a great one either 🤣

Reply 14 of 94, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

My P4 collection is probably the largest and undoubtedly the most famous:

1) Pentium 4 3.0 Prescott SL79L.

That's it so far 😁 Tbh, I don't even have a motherboard to test it.

Dat collection xD. if you see all the P4 3.0E CPUs i got: http://prntscr.com/bqbetp
4x SL7E4
3x SL7PM
2x SL79L
1x SL7KB

Tetrium wrote:

I don't have that many P4s actually. Most I got simply because they were part of a purchase of something that I did want to get (most often untested systems for like €10 each or n either good motherboard or a too-cheap-to-pass-up motherboard which-is-still nice.

And most of the time, when I removed that CPU heatsink and wiped off all the excess TIM, I got another slight and slow disappointment 🤣!

But I do have a few more interesting and useful parts, like a few Northwoods at 3 or 3.2GHz and a single s423 2.0GHz which I never got around to test as I only got me a s423 board a couple years later I think.

i have some high clock Northwood P4 HTs and few Socket 423 CPUs which now i have a board to test them. In my area, Northwood based HT P4s are not easy to find despite i already got a bunch of them. I still need to find a 3.06 GHz P4 or a 3.4 GHz Northwood which are the rarest ones

Arctic wrote:

I only have a handful of P4s. They are all socket 478 and FSB400/533.
Actually I am trying to avoid Pentium 4s like a cold in the summer 😁

It's not a bad cpu, but in my opinion, not a great one either 🤣

i have a handful of FSB 400/533 P4s, but the majority of my P4s are FSB 800 Prescotts in in both Socket 478 and LGA 775, the hottest type of P4 you can ever find

Reply 15 of 94, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There some pics of my P4s, these are old pics and i already cleaned all the CPUs

Also not all are shown ethier i didn't get at the time or are inside on a PC

Attachments

• 20160310_232133.jpg
    Filename
    20160310_232133.jpg
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Socket 478 P4s - HT
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20160310_231002.jpg
    Filename
    20160310_231002.jpg
    File size
    1.42 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Socket 478 P4s - No HT
    File license
  • 20160310_225802_Burst01.jpg
    Filename
    20160310_225802_Burst01.jpg
    File size
    1.73 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    LGA 775 P4s
    File license
  • 20160310_232659.jpg
    Filename
    20160310_232659.jpg
    File size
    1.52 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Socket 423 P4s
    File license
  • 20160611_012944.jpg
    Filename
    20160611_012944.jpg
    File size
    1.29 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Drawer with Socket 478 P4s
    File license

Reply 16 of 94, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But when i find some old Socket 478. Sometimes i have to deal with this thing, people putting paper/plastic stickers to the IHS, is a pain to remove them after since these sickers will likely hurt thermal conductivity.

Btw. CPU is a Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz SL6D8

Attachments

• 20160616_154336.jpg
    Filename
    20160616_154336.jpg
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 17 of 94, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Logistics wrote:

Pentium M was literally a modified pentium 3 even reviews from the time mention this, one of my all time personal favorite cpus and even built a desktop with a PM 780 😎
Surprised that hardly anyone here even noticed the Pentium M at all let alone the idea of a pentium 3 and pci-e would be like ect. I should get around to building a Core Duo rig 😏

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 18 of 94, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

Pentium M was literally a modified pentium 3 even reviews from the time mention this, one of my all time personal favorite cpus and even built a desktop with a PM 780 😎
Surprised that hardly anyone here even noticed the Pentium M at all let alone the idea of a pentium 3 and pci-e would be like ect. I should get around to building a Core Duo rig 😏

Tell you what--I just acquired a Dell laptop that was sitting in amongst a bunch of other junk on a guys trailer, with the power adapter. The battery is shot, but it powers, right up! I put an install of XP on it and it was pretty quick, then I put Wary Puppy linux on it and it's snappy as hell. Pentium M = GEWD! 😉

Reply 19 of 94, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have:

* Skt 423: P4 1.4GHz. Just remembered I need to recap my P4T-F (darned faulty Nichicons 🙁 );
* Skt 478: P4 3GHz (IIRC), without mobo;
* Skt 775: Pentium D (forgot the model) equipped at a GI865 motherboard.

I'm fine with just those since my collection is about having one fully assembled computer for each socket.