VOGONS

My finally working "Project 98" computer !!!

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 63, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I meant the 8 Gigabyte HDD.. Sorry, it's a Samsung branded one. I confused that with the Maxtor HDD.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 61 of 63, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just removed both hardrives AND the IDE cable completely from the PC this time.

I powered it on, set both hardrives to "none" and shut it down, then I re-inserted both hardrives, with correct jumper configuration, master and slave and everything PERFECTLY WELL, the IDE cable is ALL the way in in the motherboard, changed the hardrives from None to Auto, restarted and....

STILL NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!

What's left to do ? I gotta try with another IDE cable at this point...

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 62 of 63, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's been said already. Twice.

Jorpho wrote:

If things are just randomly failing now for no apparent reason – even when you aren't changing anything – then one or more of your hardware components is bad. There is no way of knowing what might be the problem except for swapping out the components one by one. I had a faulty PSU once that caused numerous mysterious, intermittent failures; I also once had a PCChips motherboard with leaky capacitors that would not behave consistently.

FFXIhealer wrote:

Then I'd suspect an issue with the motherboard or the power supply. It's possible the 12+V rail is dipping below tolerance and the drive isn't responding correctly...or that the motherboard itself is having issues querying the drive for the data. The only way to rule out the PSU is to replace it with a known good one and see if the problem persists. If it does, it's the motherboard. If not, it's the PSU.

The only other thing I can suggest is to find someone local who knows about these things and can hands-on double-check everything you are doing, because there doesn't seem to be any point in attempting to further diagnose this over the Internet.

Reply 63 of 63, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well well... now I feel ashamed and stupid saying that... I got a brand new PSU 750W (probably overkill, but I'll eventually swap it with another one later) and now both hard drives work... why didn't I think about it this summer ?

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard