Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12880 of 52730, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
amnesia wrote:

Not the cream of the Roland crop - but nothing beats a deal where one only needed to pay the shipping 😉

Roland_RAP_10_1.JPG

Would you mind sharing images of those disks? I recently got a RAP-10 as well but it came without anything else.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12881 of 52730, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While I certainly like to see pictures, it would be much appreciated if people would use thumbnails when posting lots of pictures... 😮

I'm on Tracfone with a 4G phone and merely pulling up the previous page of this thread once will eat up as much data as I normally use in a day or two.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 12882 of 52730, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It may be my imagination but I think that the forum software used to convert large images into thumbnails automatically, but stopped doing that some time ago.

Reply 12884 of 52730, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Vetusware is weird, even though I have an account I can't upload anything, and most days it won't let me download anything either.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12885 of 52730, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an old Sapphire Radeon HD 2600 PRO PCI-E with the original disks. The driver disk uses Catalyst 7.7 and i didn't expect the Prince of Persia CD 🤣. i bought it for 11 €

Attachments

• 20160712_234803.jpg
    Filename
    20160712_234803.jpg
    File size
    1.86 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    The card
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20160712_234811.jpg
    Filename
    20160712_234811.jpg
    File size
    1.4 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Drivers
    File license
  • 20160712_234817.jpg
    Filename
    20160712_234817.jpg
    File size
    1.22 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Prince of Persia
    File license

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 12886 of 52730, by amnesia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stamasd wrote:
amnesia wrote:

Not the cream of the Roland crop - but nothing beats a deal where one only needed to pay the shipping 😉

Roland_RAP_10_1.JPG

Would you mind sharing images of those disks? I recently got a RAP-10 as well but it came without anything else.

Yeah, sure thing - that was my plan. Come this weekend, vacation is a reality, and time should be plentifull to image some floppy discs 😉

Know where you came from to know where you're going

Reply 12887 of 52730, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
devius wrote:

It may be my imagination but I think that the forum software used to convert large images into thumbnails automatically, but stopped doing that some time ago.

It should be working again, see the post below yours. A fairly *large* thumbnail, but a thumbnail nonetheless.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 12888 of 52730, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a couple of things this week.

First the Pentium Pro SL23M 200MHz 256K for $25

DSCF3655_zpsaazsu4xa.jpg

And this I purchased last night for $86 total. Fresh listing, snagged it immediately. Seller states it's for parts or repair with missing power cord. Fingers crossed that it works. There were no pictures of the sides or rear of the case, but the screen and everything else looked in good shape. Hopefully the floppy drive still works.

IBM PS/2 Model P70
s-l1600.jpg

Reply 12889 of 52730, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't find anything as nice as above, just a FUGLY Gateway PC today for 6 bucks.

It's an old Athlon based system. I have yet to see if it works, so I'm not sure what CPU it's uing. Its GPU is a TNT2 and it has a Soundblaster Live audio card. It has 2 optical drives and the sticker says it's running ME... I'm oing to put 98 on this thing, unless ME is worth using?

I'll need to post pics if it works. 😖 I also bought some Harmon/Kardon speakers for my 486 and another beige keyboard -- sadly not mechanical...

Sweet, it's an Athlon 1.1 Ghz. Now i can run Wing Commander Prophecy. If this system works after I get it all cleaned up.

Last edited by MCGA on 2016-07-14, 02:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12890 of 52730, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I just bought these today, brand new, never been opened.

2x Aureal vortex 2 sq2500 gold 4ch sound cards.

Also is there an interest in having the CD contents uploaded for safe keeping or do we already have them? maybe these ones might be different?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Filename
    Untitled.jpg
    File size
    189.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1158.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1158.JPG
    File size
    2.35 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1159.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1159.JPG
    File size
    2.51 MiB
    Views
    File license

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 12891 of 52730, by Nopileus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like some chinese factory got their hands on surplus Vortex 2 chips and rolled their own card, the dates on the files on that CD seem to support that theory as Aureal was long gone by 2003.

It has the revision B0 chip which is interesting, those don't come up too often but nobody really seems to know if there's differences.
The codec appears to be different too, but it's an AC97 compliant one regardless.

Reply 12892 of 52730, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its been reboxed, the driver CD is modified, but the card works though.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 12893 of 52730, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nopileus wrote:

Looks like some chinese factory got their hands on surplus Vortex 2 chips and rolled their own card, the dates on the files on that CD seem to support that theory as Aureal was long gone by 2003.

It has the revision B0 chip which is interesting, those don't come up too often but nobody really seems to know if there's differences.
The codec appears to be different too, but it's an AC97 compliant one regardless.

Yeah, I thought the same thing immediately. Those are definitely not SQ2500s, or anything made by Aureal, Turtle Beach or Diamond.

Even if they're knock offs, they are probably somewhat rare (and worth collecting) because they would have been problematic in the post-XP era (in which they were made apparently), so they were likely not popular. You also wouldn't find them in OEM systems I'd bet.

I've certainly never seen one before and I own several Vortex cards, including a real SQ2500 with the B0 revision chip.

If you're a sound card geek\collector\hoarder (like I'm turning out to be)... you should hang on to those. If they're really from 2003, they could be the last card produced with an Aureal chip. 😀

Kind of like the few odd-ball arcade oriented 3dfx cards out there that were made a couple years after the company closed.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 12894 of 52730, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MCGA wrote:
I didn't find anything as nice as above, just a FUGLY Gateway PC today for 6 bucks. […]
Show full quote

I didn't find anything as nice as above, just a FUGLY Gateway PC today for 6 bucks.

It's an old Athlon based system. I have yet to see if it works, so I'm not sure what CPU it's uing. Its GPU is a TNT2 and it has a Soundblaster Live audio card. It has 2 optical drives and the sticker says it's running ME... I'm oing to put 98 on this thing, unless ME is worth using?

I'll need to post pics if it works. 😖 I also bought some Harmon/Kardon speakers for my 486 and another beige keyboard -- sadly not mechanical...

Sweet, it's an Athlon 1.1 Ghz. Now i can run Wing Commander Prophecy. If this system works after I get it all cleaned up.

Windows Mistake Edition is one to avoid. It has weaker DOS compatibility, is less stable than 98, and less program support as well. A TNT2 sounds a tad weak for such a strong CPU though, but at that price, you can't really complain!

Reply 12895 of 52730, by amnesia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ME is definitely not something one would like to use, unless being hold up at gunpoint.

Right up there with Vista and Windows 8, With Vista probably being the least sucky one.

Know where you came from to know where you're going

Reply 12896 of 52730, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 8 was an abomination up on all OSs, so I'd rather not subject myself to something as bad again! I've been looking a bit, would 98 SE be the best choice for sticking with mostly later nineties games?

When I think back to that time, I had a slightly newer system than this one, a T-Bird 1Ghz with a Geforce 2 GTS from what I'm recalling and I installed Windows 2000 on it.

I've never owned a TNT2, but now I have the bug to replace it, but if it's good enough for System Shock 2 I'm fine with it. 😀

Hopefully this PC works! If not, I know I'll be spending more than 6 bucks to make it go... :\

Reply 12898 of 52730, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amnesia wrote:

ME is definitely not something one would like to use, unless being hold up at gunpoint.

Right up there with Vista and Windows 8, With Vista probably being the least sucky one.

There really isn't that much difference between Vista and 7 on a decent system. A small improvement in performance, but most of what people saw was due to them upgrading to much stronger hardware than had been around at Vista's launch - and, crucially, going past 512MB/1GB of RAM. Vista got a lot of undeserved flak that actually should've been aimed at the lazy and dodgy OEMs who couldn't be bothered to stock things with proper hardware and/or drivers for said hardware - it was no more of a leap forward than XP was over 98 (which, if you think about it, was a slightly smaller time gap) in terms of system demands. 8, however, had a UI that failed as a desktop UI and as a laptop UI. I never did work out how to actually shut down a Windows 8 system properly...

MCGA wrote:
Windows 8 was an abomination up on all OSs, so I'd rather not subject myself to something as bad again! I've been looking a bit […]
Show full quote

Windows 8 was an abomination up on all OSs, so I'd rather not subject myself to something as bad again! I've been looking a bit, would 98 SE be the best choice for sticking with mostly later nineties games?

When I think back to that time, I had a slightly newer system than this one, a T-Bird 1Ghz with a Geforce 2 GTS from what I'm recalling and I installed Windows 2000 on it.

I've never owned a TNT2, but now I have the bug to replace it, but if it's good enough for System Shock 2 I'm fine with it. 😀

Hopefully this PC works! If not, I know I'll be spending more than 6 bucks to make it go... :\

I would dual-boot 98 and XP, personally (depending on if you can shove a GB of RAM in there or not - 512MB may be passable if you avoid any internet-related software like an anti virus). Gets you the best of both worlds. As for the TNT2... I own a couple, but I've never actually used them bar testing. My dad kept one for years for some reason!

Reply 12899 of 52730, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amnesia wrote:

Some people here, actually like ME. To me it seems like a wierd choice. I guess we all like it differently.
My experience is, that if one can find the right parts, then ME is decent. Not great.
Just keep in mind, that changing hardware beyond that point, most likely results in an unstable system.
I don't like Win8/8.1/10 at all. I like Win7 and when times come (2020) I go for Linux.
Shure I have messed with Linux in the past. Setting up a file and minecraft server on a Mac-G4.
And I have used it on and off as a desktop OS.
Speaking of Vista. Yeah.... Don't run Vista without any service pack. And update it 100% before using.
Run it on a powerhouse and you actually get a great OS. The features in the GUI are way better than 7.
I like the look and feel and the structure of the GUI over Win7.
Win7 just runs better on my primaery PC. Wich are an dualcore Celeron laptop from 2010.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011