VOGONS

First post, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello

I found a local seller offering an Intel D865GLC motherboard with 512MB and an unspecified Socket 478 CPU for very cheap, pretty much shipping cost only. Now, I am not familiar at all with S478, back in the day I totally skipped that era of Intel technology (I used AMD since my P3 died until C2D came out), so the possibility of building a 478 retro build has piqued my interest.

So, does anyone know if it is a reasonably good board? I'm not expecting (and I'm not interested in) any OC features from Intel, but I'm more concerned about stability/reliability. Also, with what processor and video card would you pair that board for a powerful period correct build of that era? (around mid-2003 if I'm not mistaken).

Thanks! 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That board should be just fine. Intel made conservative boards, very stable, hardly any BIOS features and no overclocking at all.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 4, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote:

I'm not expecting (and I'm not interested in) any OC features from Intel, but I'm more concerned about stability/reliability.

In that case, it's perfect!

Really, it's rock solid, built well, boots fast and has nice features (SATA, case fan control, etc.).

I use mine with a P4 Prescott 3.06GHz w/HT and a GeForce FX5700 with XP and ME (should've gone for 98SE, but oh well...). Works like it should.

Reply 3 of 4, by Nopileus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might run into issues with defective capacitors, mine had six Nichicon HN/HM series capacitors that all needed replacing.
Many motherboards from that time suffer from this.

Other than that i'd recommend it, while the bios is simplistic it's stable and POSTs quickly.

Reply 4 of 4, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks guys... from your comments sounds like a good board to get into S478 so I may give it a go then.

Thanks again!