VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

When it comes to power draw, the best option of that era will probably be C3.

Yeah, but it lacks the performance part 🤣 . Those cpus can be compared more with an early P-III/Celeron, but maybe it's enough for our mate

Reply 21 of 32, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding lower-voltage Athlon support in desktop motherboards, my impression was that anything running at less than 1.5V potentially may not be supported, which includes both the mobile and "SFF" embedded processors. That's why I went for the 1.5V DLT3C 1700+.

Reply 22 of 32, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you for the answers!
I considered the C3 some time ago but the fastest ones still are not that cheap and performances from graphs seems lower than I thought (even if I like the "alternative" choice they'd be). Actually I built this pc as main PC so SSE and/or some performance more would be good to have. Windows ME obviously already runs well but when using browsers even the actual Duron 1200 suffer. But still incredibly fast considering its time.
I suspect the VS650 supply would not be happy with some faster GPU cause wattage easily seems to go up to 100, 110W with 2002 solutions, I didn't try R300 chipsets but I can imagine the already loaded 5V rail would suffer..

Reply 23 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:

Thank you for the answers!
I considered the C3 some time ago but the fastest ones still are not that cheap and performances from graphs seems lower than I thought (even if I like the "alternative" choice they'd be). Actually I built this pc as main PC so SSE and/or some performance more would be good to have. Windows ME obviously already runs well but when using browsers even the actual Duron 1200 suffer. But still incredibly fast considering its time.
I suspect the VS650 supply would not be happy with some faster GPU cause wattage easily seems to go up to 100, 110W with 2002 solutions, I didn't try R300 chipsets but I can imagine the already loaded 5V rail would suffer..

yw 😀

And regarding the 5v line of your PSU, you could opt to use a graphics card that primarily uses 12v power. Iirc the GF6 series already used most of its power from 12v instead of 5v for the earlier cards like GF5 and R9800.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 24 of 32, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

True, but 386SX was I think also wanting something with performance roughly similar to his existing rig.
Tualatin has virtually similar performance for about half the power draw of the CPU, but I should've stated power draw vs performance anyway.

It's all good, as long as everyone's having fun!

In terms of process technology, Tualatin is similar to Thoroughbred and Barton. Running one of those at ~1.4ghz clocks would yield similar thermal and compute performance, if not better.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 26 of 32, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to run an AMD Duron 1200 'Morgan' on a KT266A platform. By default the C1-Halt State was disabled on this system but using software tools you can enable this. I remember that idle temperatures (using quiet fans that react on temperature) went down from about 60C to ~28C (and power consumption of the CPU accordingly). Tools like CPUIdle Pro can help enable halt-states although I used a different freeware tool back then but I can't remember it's name.

If you have CPU's like 0.13nm Athlon XP-M or the golden era of budget Athlon XP Thoroughbred's (around 8th to 11th week from 2003, especially the 0308MPMW's to 0311XPMW's) you can often run at low voltages if your voltage regulator supports it. If memory serves me well I could run my XP1700+ at 1.1V at default 1466MHz clock on a SiS745 based ECS K7S6A.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 27 of 32, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386SX wrote:
Aideka wrote:

Well, temperatures are "easily" lowered by using an over the top cooler 😜. Some copper core cooler with support for 8cm fans is all that is needed.

Yeah that's right but for now I'm using a classic XP original heatsink with half fan speed. Temp are always more than 50 celsius degrees.
Now measuring 85 watts during surfing the forum. 😁

That does not sound right - is it seated correctly, what thermal paste are you using? Have you checked the core is fully touching the heatsink (thermal paste will indicate)

Does the heatsink feel hot? @ 85c the heatsink will be very hot - Either the heatsink is not sitting correctly or the temperature sensor is giving incorrect readings.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 28 of 32, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
foey wrote:
386SX wrote:
Aideka wrote:

Well, temperatures are "easily" lowered by using an over the top cooler 😜. Some copper core cooler with support for 8cm fans is all that is needed.

Yeah that's right but for now I'm using a classic XP original heatsink with half fan speed. Temp are always more than 50 celsius degrees.
Now measuring 85 watts during surfing the forum. 😁

That does not sound right - is it seated correctly, what thermal paste are you using? Have you checked the core is fully touching the heatsink (thermal paste will indicate)

Does the heatsink feel hot? @ 85c the heatsink will be very hot - Either the heatsink is not sitting correctly or the temperature sensor is giving incorrect readings.

50 celsius and 85 watt of main plug wattage when not cpu/gpu stressed. At boot it arrive to 110 watts. 😉

Reply 29 of 32, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thandor wrote:

I used to run an AMD Duron 1200 'Morgan' on a KT266A platform. By default the C1-Halt State was disabled on this system but using software tools you can enable this. I remember that idle temperatures (using quiet fans that react on temperature) went down from about 60C to ~28C (and power consumption of the CPU accordingly). Tools like CPUIdle Pro can help enable halt-states although I used a different freeware tool back then but I can't remember it's name.

If you have CPU's like 0.13nm Athlon XP-M or the golden era of budget Athlon XP Thoroughbred's (around 8th to 11th week from 2003, especially the 0308MPMW's to 0311XPMW's) you can often run at low voltages if your voltage regulator supports it. If memory serves me well I could run my XP1700+ at 1.1V at default 1466MHz clock on a SiS745 based ECS K7S6A.

Impressive!
I forgot those free tools for wait states, I will try it! 😀

Reply 30 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386SX wrote:

50 celsius and 85 watt of main plug wattage when not cpu/gpu stressed. At boot it arrive to 110 watts. 😉

To compare here are some old measurements:
A7V600 with Sempron 3000+, Radeon HD3450 AGP: About 76 Watt idle on desktop. 135 Watt with a 3D game running.

There are two possible power saving instructions for these processors: Halt and StpGnt. In case the BIOS cannot enable them, CoolON can do it. Unfortunately you may find that only the last generation of Athlon XP motherboards support these instructions properly, without weird side effects. See: Socket-A AMD Athlon/Sempron system

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 31 of 32, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually trying the XP 3200+ @ 100/100 recognized as Athlon 1100 on the A7V-133. Incredibly it boots and runs ok without any problem. I benefit higher 5V values (the Duron 1200 stressed my psu down to 4,7x volts) and lower total wattage (now measuring 80W with the Kyro2). 3dmark2000 reached 5500 points, 1000 more than the Duron 1200.

Reply 32 of 32, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have found a Athlon XP Mobile 1400+ that is seen on the A7V133 (latest 1010B bios) as "Athlon XP 1150Mhz". My model is rated for 1,45V and 35W (I expected lower... the Geode at same level has 9W). Let's test and see if it's stable.