VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you ever bought a cool used car with what seemed like some useful & tasteful mods done by the previous owner, and then after a few weeks of ownership realized they were so shoddily done as to be useless at best, or downright dangerous at worst? I have.

Did you then spend a non-trivial amount of time ripping out all those mods because you decided it was just better to go back to stock or un/re-do all the previous owner's "work", rather than have any of that incompetence left in place, besmirching your ride? I did.

Well, imagine that mess only applied to a poor, innocent early 2000s gaming rig. Do you have the idea? Good. Because that's what we're dealing with here.

DSC00908.jpg
^^ Start with this tower. A bit dusty, but it doesn't look too bad right? Certainly can be saved and cleaned up. Well, that's what I thought too, little did I know the horror that awaited me.

DSC00907.jpg

Remember when I posted about trying to buy a Voodoo card off a guy and having to take three boxes of crap and two filthy PCs just to be able to take it home? That's where this thing came from. The guy was a douche and gave me the bullshit "price is FIRM, have to take it all! No deals, no negotiating!!" routine as he stood there and stripped everything remotely useful (HDDs, RAM, etc.) out of this one right in front of me. I was pissed at the time. I still kind of am, I've already had to make two trips to the dump to deal with the stuff he foisted on me and got a bunch of shit from my landlord because of it. He was a fellow gamer & Dreamcast fan and could have been a friend, but he chose to be a dickburger instead because he was too lazy to deal with his own crap.

I don't understand why people buy nice stuff if they never bother to take the slightest bit of care of it. This thing was positively disgusting.
DSC00913.jpg
DSC00915.jpg
DSC00918.jpg
DSC00920.jpg
DSC00924.jpg
DSC00925.jpg
Ewwwwww...

DSC00930.jpg
There was some kind of bullshit fan speed controller poorly sticky-taped in. I ripped it out.

DSC00932.jpg
Stripped down to the bare chassis. Time to take the nuclear option.

DSC00936.jpg
Much better. Let that dry in the sun and let's take a look at the plastic bits.

DSC00938.jpg
Hmm.

DSC00931.jpg
Ogod. No.

DSC00939.jpg
DSC00940.jpg
Ended up pulling apart everything that would come apart and washing it. After all that work, it was clearly hosed. Get it?

DSC00949.jpg
Oh yes. You better believe I nucleared those disgusting fans too. Worked fine after I let them dry. The side-panel fan was so encrusted with greasy crud I had to scrub it with an old toothbrush; water alone wouldn't do the job.

DSC00952.jpg
The previous owner told me the front LED bubble strips didn't work. Well, they work fine, he'd just wired them in backwards somewhere along the way. And of course, like the fan speed controller and every other "custom" wiring inside, all the wiring was just twisted together and electrical-taped with no sign of solder or heat-shrink.

So while we're waiting for that to dry, here's some of the stuff that will be going into this rig:
DSC00986.jpg
DSC00985.jpg
^^ I've had this for a while; looks like I finally have a suitable home for it. 😀

DSC00984.jpg
Nice beefy PSU I had lying around. I chose this one for a reason...

DSC00988.jpg
...and that reason is this 8-pin CPU power connector. These are surprisingly hard to find.

DSC00990.jpg
I'm actually using high-quality RAM for once instead of cheap generic stuff. This is a DDR1 build if you haven't figured that out yet. (I really want 4GB in this machine but I don't have it at the moment. I'll have to upgrade later.)

And that's it! Thanks for reading. Next update - beginning to look like a PC again! 😀

Oh, all right.
DSC00900.jpg
4 cores of power. It's on.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 23, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That case cleaned up nicely for something that looked like it had spent some time in a sandstorm (or right next to a very fluffy cat). 😖

Then I saw the wiring job... 😵 What are those two light blue things?

Reply 2 of 23, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

That case cleaned up nicely for something that looked like it had spent some time in a sandstorm (or right next to a very fluffy cat). 😖

Then I saw the wiring job... 😵 What are those two light blue things?

Well, it's not totally perfect but certainly came out nice. The blue things are voltage regulators(?) for the variable-speed fan controller that was installed. One of them is linked to a sensor that was inside the case, the other to a manual pot on the back panel so either one could vary the fan speed. I'm not going to bother putting it back in; the Xeons are loud enough that I don't care about clocking down the case fans. 😁

Does anyone know the model of this case? I think it's an old Thermaltake but there are no markings on it.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 23, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While I'm at it, here's a quick rundown on the *other* netburst machine I have in service. I actually use this one all the time. 😀

DSC00950.jpg
This is my "arcade cabinet" which houses all my gaming stuff. I wanted to play some PC games on the "big" 20" display, so I built a games machine using what I had at the time - a P4/3.0 HT on a Gigabyte 8IPE1000-G. It does the job fine, but I had the not-so-brilliant idea to build it into the cabinet (like an arcade board I guess) using a piece of an old server chassis.

DSC00951.jpg

This was actually causing a bunch of problems, namely it was too hot to run the cabinet with the doors shut, and in this config it was a LOUD motherfucker. Also, it looked like ass, was generally a mess, and took up all the valuable space in the cabinet that I could otherwise use for storing the kinds of stuff that should go in a cabinet.

So out it came:
DSC00954.jpg
DSC00955.jpg

DSC00961.jpg
These are rather nice boards, with 800FSB, dual-channel DDR, and hyper-threading support. I love how prominently they felt they needed to display that last bit.

DSC00958.jpg
DSC00960.jpg
^^ Here we have the reason this thing still works as a games machine in 2016. A real beast of a card.

DSC00956.jpg
Unfortunately it takes one 8-pin PCIe-power connector and my PSU has none of them. Fortunately I have an adapter that converts it to two 6-pin connectors. And then two more adapters that convert *those* into two MOLEX connectors, each. So yeah, that's 4 independent MOLEX power channels going straight to the graphics card.

Luckily my Enermax 560W PSU seems to hande it fine, this setup hasn't even set anything on fire at all.

Anyway I decided this thing needed to go into that lovely blue AOpen case I picked up a while ago. A perfect match!
pen41.png
(On the right.)

DSC00897.jpg
DSC00898.jpg
I swear I opened it up and it looked like this. It was so clean I didn't even hit it with the vacuum. Which is UNHEARD-of for me.

DSC00964.jpg
In it goes! Not the final cable routing. I'll tidy this up when I get some nicer IDE/FDD cables.

Note that this machine is strictly an arcade box driving the CRT TV so aside from the GPU there's no interesting hardware in it. It's not even on my network. No sound card, SCSI, etc. (the onboard sound works fine.)

DSC00965.jpg
I have this weird corner of fans to deal with at the back here. I'm wondering if (A) should be drawing air in or pushing air out, and if I should install a second fan in spot (B)? There is no fan at the front of the case.

DSC00966.jpg
Put back together & it looks great, and tucks neatly into the corner beside the cabinet. No extra cable mess & heaps quieter too. With hyperthreading enabled & the Radeon HD this old P4 punches FAR above its weight and runs some rather surprisingly modern games, like the one above. 😁

DSC00967.jpg
DSC00969.jpg
^^ Or this one (2010).

DSC00973.jpg
Or this one (2012).

DSC00975.jpg
^^ There is only one car in this game for me. 😁

DSC00976.jpg
DSC00981.jpg
DSC00982.jpg
And even this 2014 Kickstarter demo, which was intended for VR headsets. This actually runs at a buttery-smooth 60FPS all the way through. Unfortunately Oculus' stupid runtime doesn't run on 32-bit systems so I can't try my Rift DK1 with this (it works on my Macbook though.)

Reply 4 of 23, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A: definitely an OUT fan, otherwise you have an air short circuit around the PSU
B: probably out as well, looks like there is a passive vent / possible front fan position to allow for intake

Reply 6 of 23, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Matth79 wrote:

A: definitely an OUT fan, otherwise you have an air short circuit around the PSU
B: probably out as well, looks like there is a passive vent / possible front fan position to allow for intake

Thanks; hooked it up as a "pusher" and it seems to be helping. It's sure pushing a lot of hot air out the back anyway. 😜 I'll toss a second one in when I find one the right size.

agent_x007 wrote:

You know, with that CPU/GPU combo, you should be able to play Crysis on Low 😀

I had a look at the system reqs on Mobygames; I bet it would run just fine. Gonna have to try it out, especially seeing as I've never played it before.

Reply 7 of 23, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
xjas wrote:

I had a look at the system reqs on Mobygames; I bet it would run just fine. Gonna have to try it out, especially seeing as I've never played it before.

Good luck. You got the gpu but a p4 will be pushing it.

Reply 8 of 23, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Have some faith 😀
Netburst isn't that bad 😁

Radeon HD 3850 (715-1818) mini.png
Filename
File size
298.08 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

P4EE @ 3,53GHz manages to use around half of HD 3850's performance there :

Filename
File size
305.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Which is OK in my book (considering all things 😉).

157143230295.png

Reply 10 of 23, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
agent_x007 wrote:
Have some faith :) Netburst isn't that bad :D […]
Show full quote
Jade Falcon wrote:

Have some faith 😀
Netburst isn't that bad 😁

P4EE @ 3,53GHz manages to use around half of HD 3850's performance there :

I know that p4s can play that game, but only the best p4 systems can handle it on low.

Reply 11 of 23, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Holy shit. Your netburst gaming rig makes my Thinkpad look like a toaster.

I'm sure a 3GHz P4 and way-overspeced GPU can "toast" anything you want it to. Hell you could probably bake bread in this thing just by leaving it inside the case for a while. 😜

Reply 12 of 23, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update on the dual Xeon! Case is mostly back together & it's starting to look like a workstation again. First I had to wire up the front LED tubes because everything has to glow blue when you turn it on right?

DSC01004.jpg
^^ I made a mistake here, the wires from the top ones weren't long enough so the molex adapter doesn't sit at the bottom of the case like I wanted. But it will do for now.

DSC01006.jpg
I'm actually tempted to replace those with green or orange. I'll see if I like it over time.

DSC01001.jpg
DSC01003.jpg
One USB port is busted and this connector not-a-block is idiotic. I actually clipped the USB cable off and blocked the port off with a bit of brushed metal. I'll do something else for the front USB ports. Audio jacks should be less of a pain to hook up.

DSC01007.jpg
Roughly back together. Front panel power & reset buttons & LEDs hooked up. Sorry about the dark/bad angle pic; looking good so far though!

So, does it boot? I had some problems with this board in the past, so this is where I was nervous about the board actually being bad and all my effort going to waste. Well, I hooked everything up, pushed the switch, and
DSC00992.jpg
Oops.

This is actually a problem, the video card uses a floppy drive power cable and my Core2-era Antec PSU only has one. FFS... I actually do want a floppy drive in this system so I'm gonna have to solder up an adapter. But for now out came the X800 AIW and in went a passive-cooled Radeon 9200.

DSC00997.jpg
And it works! Both CPUs are detected (and they *do* have hyperthreading, so 2 cores each show) but I get this error about them not matching. I don't know the origin of the CPUs but they were the ones fitted when I pulled the board out of its derelict server. Maybe one got replaced while it was in service and the stepping didn't match or something?

DSC00998.jpg
It did seem to want to boot, which was encouraging.

BIOS was version 1001, a pretty early one for this board. I took a gamble on updating it; something I absolutely couldn't get to work the last time I tried to set it up. Instead of using the built-in-ROM flash util I downloaded an updated one from Asus's website, wrote it to a FreeDOS boot floppy along with the last BIOS (1009) and gave it a shot.

bios1.jpg
bios2.jpg
It worked! Bios 1009 flashed fine & boots fine. I also stuck in the other 3 DIMMs and it now showed the full 2GB in dual-channel mode. Nice.

But the 'mismatched CPUs' error was *still there*. Damnit, was really hoping that would go away.

So I stuck in a DVD drive and tried to boot Linux (speficially KXStudio, which was the only 32-bit distro I had lying around. It's based on the latest Ubuntu LTS, so it's "current".)

DSC01015.jpg
Booted up & made it to the desktop with NO issues! Actually feels quite snappy and responsive for what it is. And here's the fun part:

DSC01020.jpg
All four cores are active! So either Linux is ignoring the BIOS and happily uses both CPUs or that error that pops up is just incorrect.

DSC01017.jpg
/proc/cpuinfo *does* show different microcode & stepping even though the CPUs are seemingly the same. Is there a util that reports exactly which processor revisions are installed & their build dates?

DSC01021.jpg
DSC01029.jpg

Just for fun I tried Haiku and it booted to the desktop with NO drama. And holy crap does it *fly* on this thing!

DSC01030.jpg
...and Haiku sees four cores too! I what I'm gonna do in this case is to ignore the BIOS and just use it as is. Both OSes happily ran everything included on their liveCDs with no crashes or apparent stability issues. It's fine.

NEXT UP - storage! I have something cool and appropriate in mind here. Looking forward to using this beast of a machine. 😁

Reply 14 of 23, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

😁 Haiku ran so nicely I'm thinking of sticking it on there as the primary OS. It even looks a bit like a BeBox with the vertical LED tubes. But that would necessitate changing my storage ideas since it doesn't support SCSI.

Reply 15 of 23, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
xjas wrote:

And it works! Both CPUs are detected (and they *do* have hyperthreading, so 2 cores each show)

that board can't handle a dual core netburst cpu, the VRM is not there. Good luck in the long run!

Reply 16 of 23, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
xjas wrote:

And it works! Both CPUs are detected (and they *do* have hyperthreading, so 2 cores each show)

that board can't handle a dual core netburst cpu, the VRM is not there. Good luck in the long run!

I was referring to how Linux/Haiku/etc. represent CPUs with hyperthreading as "dual core." Two physical CPUs w/ 4 virtual cores = "quad core" according to the software.

Reply 17 of 23, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
xjas wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
xjas wrote:

I was referring to how Linux/Haiku/etc. represent CPUs with hyperthreading as "dual core." Two physical CPUs w/ 4 virtual cores = "quad core" according to the software.

No that dose not equal a quad core. That's 2 cores and 4 theards is not 4 cores.

Reply 18 of 23, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen them many times described as "virtual cores" or "logical cores", so that's the terminology I'm using. I don't do pedantry. 😜

Reply 19 of 23, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
xjas wrote:

I've seen them many times described as "virtual cores" or "logical cores", so that's the terminology I'm using. I don't do pedantry. 😜

I also heard people say good things about Honda Civics with fart cans...