VOGONS

First post, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I purchased a full tower on eBay recently. The seller did a horrible job packing and it was delivered in a large box with a thin layer of bubble wrap. I opened the case to find the CPU hanging and a few of the pins bent, external battery smashed and a large chip out of the case - it could have been worse. Here is the damage from transit:

pvsNLQL.jpg?2
MK7z5xn.jpg?332ZoiTv.jpg?2zXsb9sg.jpg?5

I found this hardware within.

ET4000AX ISA.
X357NLJ.jpg?1

Pro Audio Spectrum 16L

1dOQ1vM.jpg?1

Octek Hippo IV 486 EP40048R21 Rev 2.1

Mlg60J2.jpg?1
QTnDHlC.jpg?3

Unfortunately the motherboard was damaged beyond my ability to repair from barrel battery acid and it wouldn't turn on. A good clean with vinegar and some gentle care didn't make any difference, I removed most of the acid but the motherboard still didn't boot.

nxMnylx.jpg?1pIihe5e.jpg?1

Over the years I have been fortunate and picked up quite a bit of retro gear for free. I catalogued and tested eight 486 ISA/VLB motherboards I have packed away in static bags. I mainly wanted real cache, fast boot and responsive *feel* to the board, It would also have to play well with my Tekram 680C cache controller card. I had some idea as to the CPU I wanted to use, an Intel DX2-66MHz.

With such a classic CPU I had hoped to *keep it real* and use a board that had one of the newer 486 chipsets and bios dates without using a PCI based 486. So my PCI Socket 3 boards stayed out of this build.

Contenders:

aipW0dY.jpg?1
oZPvvYC.jpg?1
Pp4x8Gf.jpg?1
GmRkiTc.jpg?1
0VDE4IZ.jpg?1
j130NzB.jpg?2
cB1OkoM.jpg?1
nY2Mcn4.jpg?1

I thought it was a no-brainer, the last two boards have ZIFF sockets, coin batteries, 72 pin RAM, WB/WT Jumpers, Voltage Jumpers, 50MHz FSB, 1993 DX Bios(mouse driven). Unfortunately both of them have fake cache despite the fact they boot faster than most of the other boards and *feel* incredibly responsive.

I ended up going with #2, the UMC based 486 ISA/VLB board.

*more to come*

Last edited by rgart on 2017-04-15, 13:19. Edited 2 times in total.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 1 of 19, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The forex, UMC, and the SIS are the best possible VLB motherboards you have there.. PCchips on 7 is just junk on my opinion..(everything is fake on that board)

The Asaki board is the best one if you want to have that voltage regulator for 3.45volt and 3.3 volt processors. The first 3 boards seems the be early VLB board with only 5 volt voltage support.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 19, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

The forex, UMC, and the SIS are the best possible VLB motherboards you have there.. PCchips on 7 is just junk on my opinion..(everything is fake on that board)

The Asaki board is the best one if you want to have that voltage regulator for 3.45volt and 3.3 volt processors. The first 3 boards seems the be early VLB board with only 5 volt voltage support.

Its true, that Asaki board is excellent. I used to have an Am5x86 133 installed @ 150MHz with a 50MHz FSB and it performed flawlessly with three VLB cards. I completed Lands of Lore on that system and I never had a single crash. Checking the traces to the cache on the bottom of the board though they go no where and it always reports 256K cache no matter what the settings.

I tried the Pro Audio Spectrum 16 card and although it does sound amazing playing MOD files and the quality of sound is apparent, I had some minor issues with it.

1) It seems to give off more heat than I'm used to with a creative card. (it gets bloody hot)
2) I had some volume problems with it initially.
3) Doom crashed hard once on exiting and played the same sound over and over.

I switched to the Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600 for the ultimate speech solution to complement the Roland MT-32.

eKwLglE.jpg?3

Here's the hardware I've put together over the last couple of days.

TcsDB7W.jpg?1
oZPvvYC.jpg?1
sN0LqhI.jpg?1
PM46zir.jpg?1
v3msTy3.jpg?1
2BDJqwh.jpg?1

I spent a few hours playing Wolfenstein 3D, Ultima 7, Conquest of Camelot, Willy Beamish, Doom and Monkey Island. The ET4000/W32I caused some strange artifacts in Monkey Island.

6FTkGNw.jpg?1

I switched to an ET4000/W32 and the Monkey Island artifacts disappeared. It has 1 MB less RAM and is not upgradable.

5ughL7n.jpg?1

Last edited by rgart on 2016-06-01, 20:48. Edited 8 times in total.

Reply 4 of 19, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ZSxcWIX.jpg?1

Heres where I'm currently at:

◙ Intel 486DX2-66MHz WB Enhanced.
◙ 256K 15ns cache
◙ 16 MB Fast Page RAM
◙ VLB Tekram DC-680C Controller card (16MB DRAM)
◙ VLB ET4000/W32 VLB video card (1MB)
◙ Generic UMC Controller card
◙ Roland MPU-IPC-T
◙ Creative Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600
◙ 2 x Seagate Medalists 2.1GB (jumpered)
◙ 1 x Conner 400MB (for OS DOS6.22)
◙ Creative INFRA 32X IDE CDROM
◙ Full Tower with funky MHz LED

sHaDEVh.jpg?1

Last edited by rgart on 2016-05-31, 13:16. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your rig looks really cool and nice case!

One piece of advice on the #8 motherboard: If you decide to store it, remove the coin cell battery, those might also start leaking even though I only saw this happen once or twice.

rgart wrote:

Unfortunately both of them have fake cache despite the fact they boot faster than most of the other boards and *feel* incredibly responsive.

Are you positive the last board's cache chips are fake? They look socketed and the brand on the cache chips are usually the real deal (unless I've not been paying attention the whole time 😵 ).
I can't make out from the pic whether they are socketed or not though. Non-socketed cache chips were usually a bad sign though.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 19, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Are you positive the last board's cache chips are fake? They look socketed and the brand on the cache chips are usually the real deal (unless I've not been paying attention the whole time 😵 ).
I can't make out from the pic whether they are socketed or not though. Non-socketed cache chips were usually a bad sign though.

Looks like you might've:

rgart wrote:

Its true, that Asaki board is excellent. I used to have an Am5x86 133 installed @ 150MHz with a 50MHz FSB and it performed flawlessly with three VLB cards. I completed Lands of Lore on that system and I never had a single crash. Checking the traces to the cache on the bottom of the board though they go no where and it always reports 256K cache no matter what the settings.

(emphasis mine)

Also, that is one funky case. I've never seen a MHz display like that ever before.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 8 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That Intel DX2 board has write-back cache. Do any of your boards support write-back L1 cache? DX2 chips with write-through cache were more common.

I notice that your case has a tape drive. What do you use it for and do you have any data tapes?

Does that case have an uptime counter? Or is that local time?

That MHz display is pretty unique. What are all the numbers? 25, 33, 40, and 50 MHz?

So there were non PC Chips manufacturers doing the fake cache trick? Interesting how they didn't both with the fake TAG RAM.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 9 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sutekh94 wrote:
Looks like you might've: […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Looks like you might've:

rgart wrote:

(emphasis mine)

Also, that is one funky case. I've never seen a MHz display like that ever before.

Ehh...I must've had one of those idiot moments, whoops haha 😊

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 19, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Your rig looks really cool and nice case!

One piece of advice on the #8 motherboard: If you decide to store it, remove the coin cell battery, those might also start leaking even though I only saw this happen once or twice.

Good point, cheers. I'll go through and remove all my coin batteries from hardware in storage.

Tetrium wrote:

Are you positive the last board's cache chips are fake? They look socketed and the brand on the cache chips are usually the real deal

Those cache chips are socketed but the ISS-10 chips are only there because I was testing them. I can't recall what kind the board came with but I've never been able to get cache working. It always claims theres 256k while booting and cachechk says there's none.

Does this look normal? Seems like an unusual amount of solder points going nowhere on the cache.

vdPFQHn.jpg?1

Reply 11 of 19, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

That Intel DX2 board has write-back cache. Do any of your boards support write-back L1 cache? DX2 chips with write-through cache were more common.

None of the older boards have a WB/WT setting in the BIOS or jumper. The Asaki board does have the jumper.

feipoa wrote:

I notice that your case has a tape drive. What do you use it for and do you have any data tapes?

The case came with the 250MB tape drive. I don't own any tapes to test it though. It might be decent for backup purposes.

feipoa wrote:

Does that case have an uptime counter? Or is that local time?

It's a clock and also a timer. The clock LED stays on when the PC is turned off.

feipoa wrote:

That MHz display is pretty unique. What are all the numbers? 25, 33, 40, and 50 MHz?

When the turbo button is off 25 and 33 light up and when it's on 40 and 57 light up. Its probably adjustable but there's a massive PCB behind the turbo switch I haven't pulled out yet and two molar power connectors. I'm not sure if this interfaced in a special way with that Octek Headland motherboard it came with or not.

feipoa wrote:

So there were non PC Chips manufacturers doing the fake cache trick? Interesting how they didn't both with the fake TAG RAM.

What does the picture above look like to you, I don't normally see so many solder points going nowhere. Is this real cache? It's socketed.

Last edited by rgart on 2016-06-01, 21:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 19, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I benchmarked a few video cards in this system. The Diamond Stealth came out on top but has some compatibility issues with Black Gate/Serpent Isle so it's not an option for me.

I've got about 5 more Western Digital and Cirrus Logic VLB cards to test but they are a bit fiddly to get working with the VLB contacts in the VLB slot. (pushed in normally or a little too hard the motherboard wont turn on, you gotta find that sweet spot with the contacts) I'll add the results when I have a little more time to play.

wVrHKK0.jpg?1
Tseng ET4000/W32I VLB
3DBench2 : 44.7
Pcpbench /vgamode : 10.1

Eln3SG3.jpg?1
S3 805i VLB
3DBench2 : 43.3

xJKjU2x.jpg?2
S3 Diamond Stealth VLB
3DBench2 : 46.2
Pcpbench /vgamode : 10.2

9iWrufj.jpg?1
Tseng ET4000/W32 VLB
3DBench2 : 43.3

yxtUZ2V.jpg?2
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5429 VLB
3DBench2 : 44.7
Pcpbench /vgamode : 9.9

DHVD4yw.jpg?2
Tseng ET4000AX ISA
3DBench2 : 31.6
Pcpbench /vgamode : 9.0

PWT4j8Q.jpg?2
Trident TVGA 8800CS ISA
3DBench2 : 11.8
Pcpbench /vgamode : 5.4

Reply 13 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are the cache traces on the other boards more complete? Photo?

Is there any soldered on TAG RAM on the board, anywhere? If not, then could the TAG be part of the chipset?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 14 of 19, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been enjoying Ultima VII Serpent Isle a lot on this system! Its such a great game to combine with a Roland MT-32 midi module and a Creative Sound Blaster Pro 2. The ambient midi music and sound effects are the best! I have become accustomed to the 486DX2-66MHz scrolling speed and I think its perfect. The Tseng Labs ET4000W32 is a good choice for this game.

Serpent.Isle.Audio.Magicians.Wand.Roland.MT32 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie0vAqn8ZBc

Serpent.Isle.Audio.Lightning.Whip.Roland.MT32 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqzWQ3bThlk

Serpent.Isle.486DX2-66MHz.TEKRAM-680c.Scrolling.Speed.Excellent.with.Roland.MT32
*redoing this video, please wait*

MHz LED in operation
https://youtu.be/_0aEY3hFoVU

yvZW8a9.jpg?1
iTxFJl4.jpg?1
DK6VnXR.jpg?1
ksE8wk3.jpg?1
Monitor Trainer Bug (After Knighthood Banquet) Saved too infrequent and now too far in to restart. Spewing!
hCVkqft.jpg?1
Sentencing the beer drinking, chicken eating PC pirate to death for copyright infringement...

Last edited by rgart on 2016-06-10, 20:40. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 15 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lovely stuff!

I think board #3 is exactly the same board I used in my recent 486DX 33 MHz build. It is missing the RTC module though, did you de-solder it? I de-soldered mine, put a socket in and replaced the RTC module.

Also you have a lot of loverly cards. It's great when you have so many options to choose from.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 16 of 19, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Loved Ultima VII: The Black Gate. One of the first games I played to completion on my 386sx-20 (yeah, I know). I bought SI, but for some reason could not get immersed in it (maybe because I was burned out on The Black Gate?) and ended up moving on to other games. Today I own it again and plan to someday give it another go. No MT-32 for me, though. 🙁 Sounds brilliant, thanks for sharing the vids.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 19 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Octek Hippo IV has no L2 cache as far as I can tell, so no big loss. Plus, if you want to go for a 486 with no local bus, then go for the Asus board.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium