VIDEO - 3dfx voodoo emulation (SDL1)

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 139, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
startmenu wrote:

Well, but this patch got broken on Linux, too...

For the patch to work you also need a working Glide wrapper installed. I don't know if there are any (working ones) for Linux.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 22 of 139, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yesterplay80 wrote:
startmenu wrote:

Well, but this patch got broken on Linux, too...

For the patch to work you also need a working Glide wrapper installed. I don't know if there are any (working ones) for Linux.

There's a few. You can compile OpenGlide for Linux, for instance. Kinda older and dated compared to dgVoodoo 2 and nGlide but it will work.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 25 of 139, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since kekkos last patch the file "src\hardware\makefile.am" obviously changed a little bit. The patch still worked because the patcher found the correct lines to replace by itself, but nontheless I updated the patch to work without any warnings during patching with current DOSBox SVNs:

Filename
voodoo_20160825.diff
File size
338.82 KiB
Downloads
195 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 26 of 139, by Chewi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to add Glide support to the DOSBox package in Gentoo Linux and I was going to use Gulikoza's before I was told about this one. I can't get this one to build on Linux though, even after fixing the obvious include with backslashes. Lots of stuff like this:

In file included from voodoo_opengl.h:33:0,
from voodoo_emu.cpp:81:
voodoo_vogl.h:28:34: error: ‘void (* glActiveTextureARB)(GLenum)’ redeclared as different kind of symbol
extern PFNGLACTIVETEXTUREARBPROC glActiveTextureARB;

That aside, I don't quite understand how this patch works. Where's the glide2x.ovl? Would it even use openglide?

Reply 27 of 139, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Chewi wrote:

That aside, I don't quite understand how this patch works. Where's the glide2x.ovl? Would it even use openglide?

The *.ovl files normally are installed with the games, they don't come from DOSBox. In most games you can find it directly in the installation directory. The patch itself doesn't need a Glide wrapper, it "converts" the Glide calls into OpenGL calls, so that's all it needs.

Reply 28 of 139, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I discovered that not all games supply their own *.ovl file. In those cases, you have to get it from one of the 3dfx driver packs. Not hard to find, FalconFly Central has pretty much all of them 😀 Some games, though, have the *.ovl built into them and actually don't need it at all. Most of the games designed for the Voodoo 1 chipset are like this (IIRC.)

All my DOSBox programs use a default config as their base. This mounts a common folder (D:\DOSBox\DriveC for example,) as the C: drive. In that folder I have a DOS directory that all my DOSBox configs also put in the path. Now, any file that I might need for multiple games (like the *.ovl file,) I just put in the D:\DOSBox\DriveC\DOS directory, and it will be available if any of my games need it 😀 Would be simpler if there was a directory that DOSBox appended to it's built in Z: directory, but I don't know if that will ever happen.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 29 of 139, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GTA doesn't seem to be fooled by this.

gta.png
Filename
gta.png
File size
463.96 KiB
Views
File license

Got the GLIDE2X.OVL in the PATH= I have set, the game finds it correctly, without it dosbox crashes.
Any idea?

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 30 of 139, by Chewi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:
Chewi wrote:

The *.ovl files normally are installed with the games, they don't come from DOSBox. In most games you can find it directly in the installation directory. The patch itself doesn't need a Glide wrapper, it "converts" the Glide calls into OpenGL calls, so that's all it needs.

I was confused about this because Gulikoza's patch requires a custom glide2x.ovl. Source here. Or perhaps that version just has minor improvements?

Reply 31 of 139, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far i found out, there are most 2 Glide.ovl in dosbox-Directory.

One is for setting glide=true and one for the setting glide=emu.

I copy the one i need to the Game.exe and rename it to glide2x.ovl

I also remove all glide2x.dll from Directory where dosbox.exe is.
So Dosbox searches the Path for glide2x.dll (real voodo2 oder glide wrapper like nglide oder dgvoodoo).

Reply 32 of 139, by Chewi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After finding some tips in another thread, I finally got it to work, but it seems quite sluggish. Between the performance and the awkwardness in building it, I'll stick with Gulikoza's for Gentoo. Thanks anyway!

Reply 33 of 139, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:

GTA doesn't seem to be fooled by this.
Got the GLIDE2X.OVL in the PATH= I have set, the game finds it correctly, without it dosbox crashes.
Any idea?

Which glide2x.ovl is that? The version from a GTA 3Dfx demo seems to work (see attached file).

Attachments

• Filename
    glide2x_ovl_for_GTA.zip
    File size
    134.85 KiB
    Downloads
    328 downloads
    File comment
    glide2x.ovl from GTA demo
    File license

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 35 of 139, by Enverex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DrNobody wrote:
The error I keep getting is: […]
Show full quote

The error I keep getting is:

pci_bus.cpp:29:27: fatal error: ..\ints\int10.h: No such file or directory

I'm seeing the same issue. I've applied the updated patch provided by Yesterplay80 (voodoo_20160825) instead, but still get...

pci_bus.cpp:29:27: fatal error: ..\ints\int10.h: No such file or directory
#include "..\ints\int10.h"

Is there something else missing here?

EDIT: Ok, fixed that by flipping the slashes, so it gets further now but still fails with...

voodoo_vogl.cpp:328:21: error: ‘INT32’ was not declared in this scope

Swapping the INT32s out for int32_t's gets me further, but then I hit...

In file included from voodoo_opengl.h:33:0,
from voodoo_emu.cpp:81:
voodoo_vogl.h:28:34: error: ‘void (* glActiveTextureARB)(GLenum)’ redeclared as different kind of symbol
extern PFNGLACTIVETEXTUREARBPROC glActiveTextureARB;
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is this patch actually in a working state right now? It looks like it's got a lot of issues, at least on GCC6.2 on Linux.

Just noticed Chewi had the same issues and said he fixed it, but not how!

EDIT 3: Ok, this post is important, lots of changes need to be made for it to actually build. The patch isn't complete - Re: Tutorial: dosbox with Glide under Linux

Still not completely working even after all that though. Got further this time but still hit....

voodoo_emu.cpp:566:14: error: ‘FALSE’ was not declared in this scope
f->vblank = FALSE;

... in several places which appears to be a case issue. I'll fix that then report back. When it's all working I'll create a working diff/patch.

Reply 36 of 139, by Chewi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Enverex wrote:

Just noticed Chewi had the same issues and said he fixed it, but not how!

I followed this guide. Can't remember if I had to do anything besides that but that was the bulk of it. I'd be interested to know if it performs any better for you. Gulikoza's patch with OpenGlide works much better for me.

Reply 37 of 139, by Enverex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Used that one in the end so thanks for that. Got it working after lots of hacking about, unfortunately I get about 5fps in Carmageddon so it doesn't look like it was worth it!

Reply 38 of 139, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Enverex wrote:

unfortunately I get about 5fps in Carmageddon so it doesn't look like it was worth it!

Did you set voodoo=opengl in dosbox.conf? Carmageddon 3Dfx runs quite well even on my laptop.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 39 of 139, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Also... 32bit vs 64bit... at least on OS X the 64bit build is only a fraction as speedy as the 32bit one...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper