VOGONS

First post, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I saw a link to the the Mac section of the Underdogs in another thread here and being the owner of a classic Mac (not a Mac Classic though!) I wouldn't mind trying a few of the games there. But I have a problem: The Mac in question (an LC475) has no CD-ROM drive or no Ethernet card. It's only form of external storage is a 1.44Mb floppy drive. The question is: Does anyone here know of a program I can use on my PC to split these files into floppy size chunks and then another program to (more importantly) recombinate them on the Mac?

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 1 of 5, by chanza

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmn, tricky. I know of plenty of Win32 file splitters, but I havent seen any Mac ones. I' say your best bet would be StuffIt Expander... of course, afaicr, the Mac version of it is 5meg or so, so getting it onto your Mac could be a problem, unless you've already got it... It's a pretty standard piece of software to have.

If you don't have it, check their website for older versions. Or try the Macintosh Emulation Station for anything that might help. They have *tons* of 68k software there.

"How appropriate. You fight like a cow."

Reply 2 of 5, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

heh, Stuffit Expander is already on there, theres a three page thread on another board I post at chronicling that saga. After trying several things with either the Mac or the PC corrupting the file I was eventually emailed a disk image in Mac format with the Expander already on there which I then put straight onto a floppy using WinImage so that isn't a problem. It's a good thing seeing as many of the things I want to download are in Stuffit format already.

Would Stuffit on the PC be able to split the files without corrupting the contents?

Wasurenaide...

Reply 3 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see why it would corrupt the contents, but you might consider instead using a splitter program (eg. JAS) and then recombine them. I know there's a Mac splitter out there...somewhere... I just can't find it at the moment. 😜 Sooo, unless you've got some kind of thing where you can do the equivilant of "copy /B this+that > this.thing" (kluge), you're screwed. heh

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 5, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

heh, when the Mac guys emailed it to me the resource and data forks would always get jacked up:

http://www.netwerkin.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.c … t=000345#000000

Actually, reading that thread again has given me some ideas that I'd long forgotten...

Wasurenaide...

Reply 5 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I looked at that thread and saw a link for MacRAR. That'll do it nicely. Use WinRAR to make 1.38MB RAR files (horray for extraneous Mac formatting), put those on disks, and then use MacRAR to reverse the process. Hopefully there is a segmented version of MacRAR for just these occasions.

Yes, it’s my fault.