VOGONS

First post, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've installed the 98 drivers for my Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 and they seem to be working perfectly in Windows, but running DOS games gives me silence. It's been a very long time since I've done this sort of stuff and I can't remember for the life of me how to go about setting it up so I can run both Windows and DOS games in Windows 98. I do remember doing it years ago I just don't remember how 😕

Reply 1 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you shutting down Windows and restarting in MS-DOS mode when you run your DOS games, or are you trying to run DOS games from Windows Explorer (or a DOS prompt)?

The former case can be highly problematic; the latter case should Just Work. Are there specific games you are trying to run?

Reply 2 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the future ask questions about old hardware and OSs in Marvin. This forum is for Windows games on modern systems.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 11, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

In the future ask questions about old hardware and OSs in Marvin. This forum is for Windows games on modern systems.

Noted. Someone will be kind enough to move it then.

Jorpho wrote:

Are you shutting down Windows and restarting in MS-DOS mode when you run your DOS games, or are you trying to run DOS games from Windows Explorer (or a DOS prompt)?

The former case can be highly problematic; the latter case should Just Work. Are there specific games you are trying to run?

Just running them through the Windows explorer. The DOS mode hasn't been set up yet because I forget how to do it correctly and I'm not sure what drivers to use, plus I didn't really want to use DOS mode if I could avoid it.

Reply 4 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
21603 wrote:

plus I didn't really want to use DOS mode if I could avoid it.

There are times when it is inevitable, but I suppose there's no sense in worrying about it if Windows serves all your needs.

You still didn't name anything specific, so let's start with SETBLAST.
Re: get no sound in MS-dos, but get it in win98SE

The other question is, which drivers are you using? Liveware 3.0 from Vogonsdrivers is often recommended.

EDIT: If you're referring to Death Rally sound issue , then it could conceivably be an IRQ problem.

Reply 5 of 11, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
21603 wrote:

I've installed the 98 drivers for my Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 and they seem to be working perfectly in Windows, but running DOS games gives me silence. It's been a very long time since I've done this sort of stuff and I can't remember for the life of me how to go about setting it up so I can run both Windows and DOS games in Windows 98. I do remember doing it years ago I just don't remember how

There's a lot of information about getting the SB Live! to work in DOS at
https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-3229.html

Reply 6 of 11, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
21603 wrote:

The other question is, which drivers are you using? Liveware 3.0 from Vogonsdrivers is often recommended.

You mean this CD Sound Blaster Live! Install (VXD 4.06.704 Liveware 3.0) CD if so then no I used the web update drivers from Creative.

Reply 7 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you go into device manager you should see sound blaster legacy drivers, or something very similar to this.
This is what your dos games see as the soundcard and you should match the game up to the settings here.

From memory the web update drivers are a cut down version though and don't include the legacy drivers, I could be wrong though.

Reply 8 of 11, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

If you go into device manager you should see sound blaster legacy drivers, or something very similar to this.
This is what your dos games see as the soundcard and you should match the game up to the settings here.

From memory the web update drivers are a cut down version though and don't include the legacy drivers, I could be wrong though.

The web update is missing the DOS drivers which Windows discovered as SB16 emulation or something, but I'm not sure if it worked because the Liveware 3.0 installed won't install correctly. I get errors stating something can't uninstall and once past that I get an error saying my 4GB hard drive doesn't have enough space. I think I'll wipe it, do a fresh install and see what happens.

Reply 9 of 11, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll have to do find an original Live! install CD, which includes the SB16 emulator. IIRC there might be one in our drivers library.

Reply 10 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
21603 wrote:

I get errors stating something can't uninstall and once past that I get an error saying my 4GB hard drive doesn't have enough space.

I have seen that error with Creative installers before. It is entirely unrelated to the amount of disk space you have.
Overcoming False "Not Enough Free Space" Errors [Sovled]
Re: Not enough Disk Space for drivers

Perhaps you should say which specific model of SB Live! you are using.

Reply 11 of 11, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The card is a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 model:SB0100

The worst thing is I had the CD, but I must have tossed it. Not sure why I'd do that since I still have the card, but my younger self was really bloody stupid 😠