Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 14620 of 52352, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote:
Decided to get some XP era hardware while its dirt cheap and asked my dad if he could get me a decommissioned PC from his workpl […]
Show full quote

Decided to get some XP era hardware while its dirt cheap and asked my dad if he could get me a decommissioned PC from his workplace. This is what I got:

P_20161110_202309.jpg

2GHz Celeron (Socket 478, not sure if netburst or northwood yet)
GF2 MX400
512MB DDR266
Sticker says it was manufactured in 2003

Was missing the PSU which I couldn't fully replace due to the form factor (standard ATX works fine, just cant fit it inside the case), however the main thing I want from this is the motherboard - I'm planning on turning this into a 2003 beast with a Radeon 9800pro and a higher-end P4.
Sadly I'm unable to get much more info on the hardware now as the hardrive is making clicking noises and windows installation keeps freezing.

2 GHz Celeron is Northwood only, Your mobo should support similar FSB P4s, i don't know the motherboard model so i can't guess what is the fastet CPU supported

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 14621 of 52352, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my IBM PS/2 Model 95 including a bunch of accessories today (100€).

It has an XGA card, an Audiovation Soundcard (!), SCSI controller, some Logitech PS/2 Mouseport card (what for???)

and

486 DX2 (don't know yet which one exactly)
64 MB RAM
HP cd drive
tape drive including tapes
one or two hdds

it starts, but demands a reconfiguration using the ADF disks (i guess?).
unfortunately most of the disks were not supplied with the system. i hope i can find them somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_1379.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1379.JPG
    File size
    2.48 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_1384.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1384.JPG
    File size
    2.85 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1385.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1385.JPG
    File size
    2.97 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1386.JPG
    File size
    1.89 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1387.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1387.JPG
    File size
    2.12 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 14622 of 52352, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@nemail

Oh what a nice system! The sound card is a nice find! They are typically very rare! I'd say the sound card alone is worth more than what you paid for everything.

There are MANY, MANY quirks of this system. If you ever need some 1 on 1 advice, hit me up. I have 3 of these machines and I like to think I know them well. the reference disk mentioned is available here: http://www.ibmfiles.com/ps2disketteimages.htm error codes are here: http://www.tavi.co.uk/ps2pages/ohland/error_02.htm

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 14623 of 52352, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Won auction on a Tyan Dual-Pentium-Pro motherboard, ended up being $25.50 total off ebay.

dual-PPro-ebay.jpg

Seller's photo from the listing.

Someone else was bidding on it.. anyone from vogons? Just idly curious. 😀

Reply 14625 of 52352, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Ooo... 20 years old and lots of tantalum caps. Cover your eyes when you power it up for the first time. 😀

It'll be just fine, the seller claims they tested it 7 days ago before listing it on ebay and it worked then. To be frankly honest I'm more worried about the RTC chip dying before I worry about the capacitors.

Reply 14626 of 52352, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Ooo... 20 years old and lots of tantalum caps. Cover your eyes when you power it up for the first time. 😀

It'll be just fine, the seller claims they tested it 7 days ago before listing it on ebay and it worked then. To be frankly honest I'm more worried about the RTC chip dying before I worry about the capacitors.

Good, I'm glad its been tested then.

And yeah, that RTC could need replacing... that was the next thing I noticed.

Looks like a nice board though. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 14627 of 52352, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Good, I'm glad its been tested then. […]
Show full quote
kithylin wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Good, I'm glad its been tested then.

And yeah, that RTC could need replacing... that was the next thing I noticed.

Looks like a nice board though. 😀

According to the manual it supports up to a gig of ram too. Dunno where I'll find that much, but yeah.

Reply 14628 of 52352, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:

Won auction on a Tyan Dual-Pentium-Pro motherboard, ended up being $25.50 total off ebay.

I just bought a Tyan S1662D a couple of weeks ago. Similar board, but in AT form factor. Don't worry about the RTC. If it's anything like mine, they're socketed for easy replacement.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    439.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Brickpad on 2016-11-11, 03:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14630 of 52352, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:
Munx wrote:
Decided to get some XP era hardware while its dirt cheap and asked my dad if he could get me a decommissioned PC from his workpl […]
Show full quote

Decided to get some XP era hardware while its dirt cheap and asked my dad if he could get me a decommissioned PC from his workplace. This is what I got:

P_20161110_202309.jpg

2GHz Celeron (Socket 478, not sure if netburst or northwood yet)
GF2 MX400
512MB DDR266
Sticker says it was manufactured in 2003

Was missing the PSU which I couldn't fully replace due to the form factor (standard ATX works fine, just cant fit it inside the case), however the main thing I want from this is the motherboard - I'm planning on turning this into a 2003 beast with a Radeon 9800pro and a higher-end P4.
Sadly I'm unable to get much more info on the hardware now as the hardrive is making clicking noises and windows installation keeps freezing.

2 GHz Celeron is Northwood only, Your mobo should support similar FSB P4s, i don't know the motherboard model so i can't guess what is the fastet CPU supported

More accurately, all Celeron on socket 478 have Northwood-128 core. Celeron D are Prescott-256. Both are built around the Netburst architecture..

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 14632 of 52352, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A 486DX2-66 and a serial mouse off ebay. I then immediately found some local people that might have them ugh.
Gonna get 32 megs for it too, and complete it. Not sure if I should bother finding a faster ISA card for this system. It has no VLB, and my needs for it are pre-1995 so I dunno.

Reply 14633 of 52352, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

luckybob's head is going to explode when he sees this.

only a little. I already have both boards. ^.^ Be careful of these boards, there are 8 (maybe 12) jumpers for memory. One supplies 5v, the other 3.3v. It should be obvious what will happen if you select wrong.

Reply 14634 of 52352, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

only a little. I already have both boards. ^.^ Be careful of these boards, there are 8 (maybe 12) jumpers for memory. One supplies 5v, the other 3.3v. It should be obvious what will happen if you select wrong.

Thanks for the heads up. Just a question luckybob on the one I bought up there.. will I be okay with a "modern" ATX power supply that is focused mainly on +12v, or do you think I'll need to source a older one that's +5v-rail-heavy for this board if I wanted to run a pair of 200 mhz chips in it?

Reply 14635 of 52352, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Won auction on a Tyan Dual-Pentium-Pro motherboard, ended up being $25.50 total off ebay. […]
Show full quote

dual-PPro-ebay.jpg

I was looking at that board (seller also had a gateway single CPU PPro board for sale) but decided I didn't need another Dual PPro board (Have 2 already).
You will need 2 VRMs for that thing and PPro heatsinks are getting harder to find (so are cheap CPU's actually which is what made me not bid).

Same seller did have an old Laser 486sx server AMI BIOS ISA board with 16x30 pin SIMM RAM slots and socket for a 486DX and Weitek FPU that I did bid on and win for $11 shipped.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 14636 of 52352, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
luckybob wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. Just a question luckybob on the one I bought up there.. will I be okay with a "modern" ATX power supply that is focused mainly on +12v, or do you think I'll need to source a older one that's +5v-rail-heavy for this board if I wanted to run a pair of 200 mhz chips in it?

These chips will draw from the 5v line, but aren't extremely heavy on power. A decent quality supply will be just fine. I used a new corsair 430w for almost everything.

Reply 14637 of 52352, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SW-SSG wrote:
debs3759 wrote:

More accurately, all Celeron on socket 478 have Northwood-128 core. ...

Incorrect! There are s478 Willamette-128 Celerons also.

...and Prescotts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_C … .22_.2890_nm.29

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 14638 of 52352, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

I was looking at that board (seller also had a gateway single CPU PPro board for sale) but decided I didn't need another Dual PPro board (Have 2 already).
You will need 2 VRMs for that thing and PPro heatsinks are getting harder to find (so are cheap CPU's actually which is what made me not bid).

Same seller did have an old Laser 486sx server AMI BIOS ISA board with 16x30 pin SIMM RAM slots and socket for a 486DX and Weitek FPU that I did bid on and win for $11 shipped.

I found another listing where someone had a lot of new / oem-tray sets of P-Pro 200's with 1MB cache for about $34 each and had "more than 10 available" so it doesn't seem too difficult to get a set if I wanted em. I'm not even trying to get it up and running at the moment I just was going to bid on the board and secure a working one because it was cheap. I'll get chips for it later this year or next year.

luckybob wrote:

These chips will draw from the 5v line, but aren't extremely heavy on power. A decent quality supply will be just fine. I used a new corsair 430w for almost everything.

Alrighty. Thanks for confirming this for me.

Reply 14639 of 52352, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just bought a single JBL 4410 studio monitor. Yes, single speaker. It would make a great center channel for my JBL 120Ti mains. Yes, there are slight difference, like the 4410's use JBL 035Ti tweeters while the 120Ti's use JBL 044Ti tweeters, but they should sound similar enough. I would originally go for JBL 4412 instead, since its frequency response curve is more similar to that of 120Ti's, but it seems 4412 wouldn't make a good center speaker, because it has asymmetrical off-axis response curve.

For games, I would connect the speakers to my Yamaha RX-V663 AV receiver. For music, however, I'd connect it to my Sansui-AU-7900, which is a stereo amplifier. But how would you connect L-C-R (Left-Center-Right) speaker to a stereo amplifier, then? Using Hafler Circuit, like a Dynaco QD-2 I've just bought on ebay. The QD-2 hasn't arrived yet though.

So, without further ado...

JBL%204410%20buy01%20pic%2002_zpsmmb72rnz.jpg

JBL%204410%20buy01%20pic%2001_zpsbsb9kigs.jpg

JBL%204410%20buy01%20pic%2003_zpsja4uakzo.jpg

JBL%204410%20buy01%20pic%2005_zpsbzywqvvj.jpg

JBL%204410%20buy01%20pic%2004_zpssxjpw4o7.jpg

JBL%204410%20buy01%20pic%2007_zpsmhsvgdkm.jpg

JBL%204410%20buy01%20pic%2006_zps8dexdsed.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.