programming_like_its_197x.jpg
Filename
programming_like_its_197x.jpg
File size
168.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also, a nice IBM - NOS/unused - keyboard.

14991953_1663773360580668_7187324740827715688_n.jpg
Filename
14991953_1663773360580668_7187324740827715688_n.jpg
File size
75.96 KiB
Views
File license

Lastly, I found a media for my newly acquired LS-120 drive. Where they all with lifetime warranty?

15055873_1663795817245089_3705727788830838671_n.jpg
Filename
15055873_1663795817245089_3705727788830838671_n.jpg
File size
87.87 KiB
Views
File license

Know where you came from to know where you're going

Reply 14641 of 52352, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

got this nice 386DX/40 mobo:

fV12mrrl.jpg

for some reason it reports a "Cyrix M6 CPU"

LIRcG2al.jpg

mobo model is "364 v1.1" will try and locate it , battery damage is zero luckily

edit: bleh I can't find anything on it and there are some jumpers that I have no idea what they do 😵

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14642 of 52352, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a similar mainboard, but with a ALi chipset. Online I found this - similar layout, sans the cache sockets:

http://th99.classic-computing.de/src/m/M-O/31690.htm

My board is labeled 386AD-III:

W7Xj0KHh.jpg

It's a little weird how your board sees the CPU as a Cyrix M6 😜

Reply 14643 of 52352, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm going a bit crazy with upgrades to the Thinkpad 770Z.

Ordered a docking unit - the Selectadock III, and the Selectabase 770 which is required to connect the laptop to the dock. Surprisingly the Selectabase was much harder to find than the dock and almost twice as expensive. But with those on hand I will be able to transform this system into a little monster. The dock provides internal bays for devices (1 Ultrabay for Thinkpad-only devices, and a regular 5.25" bay), SCSI adapter with both internal and external connectors, USB hub and, best of all, 3 PCI and 2 ISA slots (2 pairs of shared ISA/PCI and 1 independent PCI). 😀

I think I'm about to build a "mobile" juggernaut here. I say "mobile" because the laptop by itself is barely portable (big and heavy), but with the base+dock it will become desktop-sized and over 15lbs total. 😀

I have some plans for those PCI and ISA slots... perhaps a TNT2+V2, or a V3 instead; and also an ISA sound card. Or just 2xV2 SLI using the internal Trident video... hmmm. There are also reports from back in 2001 that a V5-5500 PCI fits and works fine in this dock, but I don't have one.

Overall I'm pleased, and I managed to stay below $100 for the whole system (laptop+selectabase+selectadock).

(edit) Attaching the Selectadock III user's guide since it wasn't easy to find, for further reference

Attachments

Last edited by stamasd on 2016-11-11, 15:26. Edited 1 time in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14644 of 52352, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

@nemail

Oh what a nice system! The sound card is a nice find! They are typically very rare! I'd say the sound card alone is worth more than what you paid for everything.

There are MANY, MANY quirks of this system. If you ever need some 1 on 1 advice, hit me up. I have 3 of these machines and I like to think I know them well. the reference disk mentioned is available here: http://www.ibmfiles.com/ps2disketteimages.htm error codes are here: http://www.tavi.co.uk/ps2pages/ohland/error_02.htm

Thanks for that offer, actually I think I'm gonna need you already 😁

When the Audiovation card is installed, it said that it needs the ADF so I installed the "option disk", rebooted and ran the automatic configuration.
but after that, it still reports an error and says that I have to run the tests, if I didn't install or uninstall any cards.

when I pull the audiovation card out, it immediately boots to a Windows 95 installation.
errorcode is always 16500 (if audiovation is installed)...

Reply 14645 of 52352, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok. I've actually had this system for a week but mental health issues have kept me from posting about it.

It's a Compaq Deskpro EN with a 933MHz PentiumIII (according to the start up console for American McGee's Alice it's a Copper mine), 128MB PC133 SDRAM (Expandable to 512MB via 3 DIMM slots), Intel PremierSound (which only provides DOS Audio under Windows 98's DOSBOX @ channel settings 5-1-5, if I restart into DOS mode I can't get anything to detect audio. I suspect I'm short a driver, anyone got any suggestions?),
Standard 3.5 Floppy, and a 52x CD-ROM. It's currently running Windows 98 Second Edition. I have the missing piece to the front panel as well.

tfwgPws.jpg

The entire inside of the case smells like mold. Nothing visible and she runs solid though. The motherboard is an i820 Socket 370 with 5 PCI and 1 AGP. The case is ATX but the motherboard is somewhere in-between ATX and mATX. The AGP is unkeyed Universal which is nice meaning I can run anything from a RIVA128 to a 7800GS in it.

WyTwygj.jpg

Currently I've installed some networking cards, my ASUS Falcon2 TV Tuner, and a Jaton Geforce2MX 32MB PCI. I plan to get a Geforce2GTS, a DXR3 DVD Decoder (along with a DVD Drive), and a Soundblaster128 for this system since those were the parts listed as "top" for this model in the OEM PDF files. I may also go for a 1.4GHZ Tualatin. I'm not sure if this motherboard would accept it though. It's also probably worth it to upgrade the memory to 256MB.

On board sound is really Skippy along with the flaky DOS audio. Not sure if it's the drivers or the hardware. Either way once I get the SB128 hopefully that fixs all of the above. Still if anyone has any suggestions for the PremierSound I'd love to hear them.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 14646 of 52352, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
got this nice 386DX/40 mobo: […]
Show full quote

got this nice 386DX/40 mobo:

for some reason it reports a "Cyrix M6 CPU"

mobo model is "364 v1.1" will try and locate it , battery damage is zero luckily

edit: bleh I can't find anything on it and there are some jumpers that I have no idea what they do 😵

Nice late 386 motherboard. I have about 3 with this type of layout, (one 386SX, one 486DLC and one 486SX). Good luck finding information of them. Many are known to have fake cache chips (one of mine does) but since your cache is socketed there, the chances of that are low.

Here's a discussion of my motherboard with fake cache (I am jh1523) http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?430 … ight=fake+cache

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14647 of 52352, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^that pic you posted over at VCF is mine 🤣 , I still have the BIOTEQ mobo

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14649 of 52352, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Ok. I've actually had this system for a week but mental health issues have kept me from posting about it. […]
Show full quote

Ok. I've actually had this system for a week but mental health issues have kept me from posting about it.

It's a Compaq Deskpro EN with a 933MHz PentiumIII (according to the start up console for American McGee's Alice it's a Copper mine), 128MB PC133 SDRAM (Expandable to 512MB via 3 DIMM slots), Intel PremierSound (which only provides DOS Audio under Windows 98's DOSBOX @ channel settings 5-1-5, if I restart into DOS mode I can't get anything to detect audio. I suspect I'm short a driver, anyone got any suggestions?),
Standard 3.5 Floppy, and a 52x CD-ROM. It's currently running Windows 98 Second Edition. I have the missing piece to the front panel as well.

The entire inside of the case smells like mold. Nothing visible and she runs solid though. The motherboard is an i820 Socket 370 with 5 PCI and 1 AGP. The case is ATX but the motherboard is somewhere in-between ATX and mATX. The AGP is unkeyed Universal which is nice meaning I can run anything from a RIVA128 to a 7800GS in it.

Currently I've installed some networking cards, my ASUS Falcon2 TV Tuner, and a Jaton Geforce2MX 32MB PCI. I plan to get a Geforce2GTS, a DXR3 DVD Decoder (along with a DVD Drive), and a Soundblaster128 for this system since those were the parts listed as "top" for this model in the OEM PDF files. I may also go for a 1.4GHZ Tualatin. I'm not sure if this motherboard would accept it though. It's also probably worth it to upgrade the memory to 256MB.

On board sound is really Skippy along with the flaky DOS audio. Not sure if it's the drivers or the hardware. Either way once I get the SB128 hopefully that fixs all of the above. Still if anyone has any suggestions for the PremierSound I'd love to hear them.

Just a suggestion.... but.. if you resized your pictures to fit into the forums, we could actually see them.. 😁

Reply 14650 of 52352, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

Just a suggestion.... but.. if you resized your pictures to fit into the forums, we could actually see them.. 😁

Or just buy a bigger screen.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 14651 of 52352, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Ok. I've actually had this system for a week but mental health issues have kept me from posting about it. […]
Show full quote

I thought I did. Im on mobile, imgur upload must have messed up. Oh well, there only 26 megapixel

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 14652 of 52352, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I thought I did. Im on mobile, imgur upload must have messed up. Oh well, there only 26 megapixel

*They're

🤣

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 14653 of 52352, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SW-SSG wrote:
debs3759 wrote:

More accurately, all Celeron on socket 478 have Northwood-128 core. ...

Incorrect! There are s478 Willamette-128 Celerons also.

I stand corrected 😀

SL68F is a 2.0 GHz Willamette-128 Celeron

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 14654 of 52352, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
kithylin wrote:

I'm already on 1080p screens everywhere, that's the standard today. Everything should at least fit that.

Reply 14655 of 52352, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:
SW-SSG wrote:
debs3759 wrote:

More accurately, all Celeron on socket 478 have Northwood-128 core. ...

Incorrect! There are s478 Willamette-128 Celerons also.

...and Prescotts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_C … .22_.2890_nm.29

In my post I also said

Celeron D are Prescott-256. Both are built around the Netburst architecture.

Celeron by another name 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 14656 of 52352, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
luckybob wrote:
kithylin wrote:

I'm already on 1080p screens everywhere, that's the standard today. Everything should at least fit that.

Those images wouldn't even fit on a 4k screen in Fullscreen mode. There slightly larger than that.

Reply 14657 of 52352, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm building another Socket 7 machine.

PC Partner 35-8333-04, Intel 430TX:

S7mb.jpg
Filename
S7mb.jpg
File size
370.98 KiB
Views
File license

I'm also modding one of these to include -5v using a LM7905.

atxtoat.jpg
Filename
atxtoat.jpg
File size
22.57 KiB
Views
File license

I also bought a bunch of related stuff like heatsink, fan, USB PCS cards, USB header bracket, Serial+Parallel Bracket, PS/2 to AT adapter, and more.
I already have CPUs, video cards, sound cards, network card, HDD, CD-ROM, to choose from.

One can't have enough Pentiums, don't you know? 😎

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 14658 of 52352, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ do search the USB header pinout of your mobo James-F - back then the pinout was not the same as now , 1 port will work fine but the other will need to have the pins reversed (so no matter how you plugged the header it would work OK). Needless to say that with the current pinout one port will be reversed and I have no idea if it can cause damage or not...

Reply 14659 of 52352, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks keropi.
Actually, I have the exact same board in my current machine but rev 01 (this one is 04), and on the PC PARTNER website they still have all the Manuals, Bios updates, header pinouts, and jumper configurations, very well documented and reliable Socket 7 board.
It also has low thinking noises, which is important for me as I fancy sound cards mostly.

my important / useful posts are here