VOGONS

First post, by Ensiferum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm playing the dosbox version of Ripper version 1.05 and the game crash at act 2, actually at the monkey lab. Because this is old problem with this game and I search many forums to fix the problem and i've tried different ripper commands in the dosbox.conf file, but the game still crash.

I have logged the error and this is what is happening before the game crash. Can somone decypher what is buggy so the game have to crash.

373995255: FILES:Special file open command 20 file F:\scene\EFW4.smk 374377738: SBLASTER:Raising IRQ 376945568: SBLASTER:Raisi […]
Show full quote

373995255: FILES:Special file open command 20 file F:\scene\EFW4.smk
374377738: SBLASTER:Raising IRQ
376945568: SBLASTER:Raising IRQ
379527372: SBLASTER:Raising IRQ
382108785: SBLASTER:Raising IRQ
384690473: SBLASTER:Raising IRQ
387148578: FILES:file open command 2 file ripper.txt
387171602: FILES:file create attributes 0 file ripper.sav
387190640: FILES:file open command 2 file ripper.txt
387191711: FILES:file create attributes 0 file ripper.txt
387194065: FILES:file open command 2 file ripper.txt
387200867: PIC:0 mask F8
387200878: SBLASTER:Single cycle transfer ended
387200878: SBLASTER:Raising IRQ
387200878: SBLASTER:DMA masked,stopping output, left 2047
387200948: PIC:0 mask F8
387205077: DOSMISC:DOS:Multiplex Unhandled call 1600
387205387: DOSMISC:DOS:Multiplex Unhandled call 1600
387212715: MOUSE:Unhandled videomode 68 on reset
387212950: PIT:PIT 0 Timer at 18.2065 Hz mode 3
387216453: INT10:Set Video Mode 3
387216453: VGA:Blinking 8
387216453: MOUSE:New video is the same as the old
387289609: FILES:Special file open command 80 file Z:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
387289609: EXEC:Parsing command line: exit
387289609: SBLASTER:DSP:Reset

I'm running win 10, but also i've tried with XP with Virtual Box and was the same error.

Tnx, Igor

Last edited by Ensiferum on 2016-11-20, 23:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The word is "crash", not "crush".

The first question is, are you using a copy of the game that is known to work? If you just downloaded it from somewhere, then it could very well be corrupt somehow. The only way to be certain is if you have your own copy of the original game disc.

The second question is, how did you mount the game's folders? It is very strange that it is trying to access drive F and z:\autoexec.bat. Did you follow the 60 Seconds Guide?
60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

Reply 2 of 17, by Ensiferum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Thnx for correcting me, for my bad english sometime 😜

Yes this is the conf file. I've tried different parameters to change like ripper /v /v3 or ripper /1 /v3 but not luck

[autoexec] # Do not change anything below this line! mount c "..\RIPPER" imgmount d "..\DISC\RIPPER1.iso" -t iso imgmount e "..\ […]
Show full quote

[autoexec]
# Do not change anything below this line!
mount c "..\RIPPER"
imgmount d "..\DISC\RIPPER1.iso" -t iso
imgmount e "..\DISC\RIPPER2.iso" -t iso
imgmount f "..\DISC\RIPPER3.iso" -t iso
imgmount g "..\DISC\RIPPER4.iso" -t iso
imgmount h "..\DISC\RIPPER5.iso" -t iso
imgmount i "..\DISC\RIPPER6.iso" -t iso
cls
c:
ripper /v3
exit

Reply 3 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You didn't answer my question. Did you write that yourself, or is this part of a package you downloaded from somewhere?

If you downloaded this from somewhere, then you should ask the people at the site where you downloaded it from. The game may already be configured in a specific way (a very strange way, from the looks of it) and it is pointless for anyone here to offer suggestions as to how to fix it.

Reply 4 of 17, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ensiferum wrote:

Yes this is the conf file. I've tried different parameters to change like ripper /v /v3 or ripper /1 /v3 but not luck

[autoexec] # Do not change anything below this line! mount c "..\RIPPER" imgmount d "..\DISC\RIPPER1.iso" -t iso imgmount e "..\ […]
Show full quote

[autoexec]
# Do not change anything below this line!
mount c "..\RIPPER"
imgmount d "..\DISC\RIPPER1.iso" -t iso
imgmount e "..\DISC\RIPPER2.iso" -t iso
imgmount f "..\DISC\RIPPER3.iso" -t iso
imgmount g "..\DISC\RIPPER4.iso" -t iso
imgmount h "..\DISC\RIPPER5.iso" -t iso
imgmount i "..\DISC\RIPPER6.iso" -t iso
cls
c:
ripper /v3
exit

That looks like a DOSBox configuration file. Assuming you have the .iso files where they're supposed to be that part looks fine.

However the /v3 option will not work unless you have the 1.03 patch installed.
The 1.05 patch does not include what was in the 1.03 patch.

Here is an explanation of what the options like /v and /v3 did (quoted from the readme of the 1.03 patch):

Changes from Ripper v1.02 to Ripper v1.03: [March 29 1996] […]
Show full quote

Changes from Ripper v1.02 to Ripper v1.03: [March 29 1996]

- Added command line options to INSTALL, SETUP, and RIPPER to disable
support for Vesa 2.0, disable use of protected mode bank switching code,
or both. Use /V1, /V2, or /V3 (respectively) to disable these features.
Example:
RIPPER /V3
This will run Ripper, disabling support for both Vesa 2.0 and protected
mode bank switching code.

You can still use the /V option to force Ripper to run in 480 line mode.

If you experience black screens or apparent lock ups, try this:
RIPPER /V /V3

- RIPPER now prints out the error number that DOS reports when it gets
a CD read error. This should help Take 2's technical support staff to
diagnose the problem.

Reply 5 of 17, by Ensiferum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes it's dosbox conf file and the game is patched with the last version 1.05. Also I've tried different options /v /v3 or /1 /v3 but still not work. I'm asking for little help from someone who have deeper understanding in dosbox and sblaster, cuz from the error what i see in the log file the game crash when sblaster instruction is executing.

Reply 6 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the DSP:reset at the end is normal, as that happens when dosbox shutsdown (which it does because of the exit that you see in the log (387289609: EXEC:Parsing command line: exit)

Maybe remove the "exit" command from the configuration file and see if the game displays an error.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I had to guess, it is because it is trying to open Z:\AUTOEXEC.BAT for some strange reason. In that case the solution would be to make a new autoexec.bat in whatever folder corresponds to "..\RIPPER", and then add "SET PATH=C:\;Z:\" to the dosbox.conf.

Reply 8 of 17, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there some special reason for mounting every CD in a different drive?
I'd mount every image in D-drive and then change the CD with Ctrl+F4 when necessary:

imgmount d "..\DISC\RIPPER1.iso" "..\DISC\RIPPER2.iso"  "..\DISC\RIPPER3.iso" "..\DISC\RIPPER4.iso" "..\DISC\RIPPER5.iso" "..\DISC\RIPPER6.iso" -t cdrom

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 9 of 17, by Ensiferum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure why is the configuration with different letter for every iso , but when u play the game and need to change the next cd u just click OK and u continue with the game. I will comment the exit keyword and i'll give a try.

@Jorpho I can't quite understand what u mean if u can give a little more examples how this need's to be done depending from the conf file I quote.

Reply 10 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ensiferum wrote:

@Jorpho I can't quite understand what u mean if u can give a little more examples how this need's to be done depending from the conf file I quote.

I cannot give "little more examples" because you have not provided more information. You still haven't answered the question about where you got this from. I already said it that it is pointless to offer suggestions unless you are actually using the original discs. I have limited patience for guessing.

Somewhere you have a folder with a file named "ripper.exe". Put an empty text file in that folder and name it "autoexec.bat". (Make sure the name is correct and that it is not named "autoexec.bat.txt".) Then put the line "set path=C:\;Z:\" in your dosbox.conf immediately after the "[autoexec]" line.

Reply 11 of 17, by Ensiferum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried without exit and this is the error with heap allocation and actually found this one:

60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

I will try to find if the topic will help.

Tnx,

Reply 12 of 17, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ensiferum wrote:

Yes it's dosbox conf file and the game is patched with the last version 1.05.
Also I've tried different options /v /v3 or /1 /v3 but still not work.

/v /v3 etc. will not work unless the 1.03 patch has been installed.
You didn't say if you installed patch 1.03.

Patch 1.05 does not include what's in patch 1.03.

Patch 1.03 is hard to find, but you can download it directly from the --> Internet Archive <--
Or use the link on the archived JAVE page for Ripper

zirkoni wrote:
Is there some special reason for mounting every CD in a different drive? I'd mount every image in D-drive and then change the CD […]
Show full quote

Is there some special reason for mounting every CD in a different drive?
I'd mount every image in D-drive and then change the CD with Ctrl+F4 when necessary:

imgmount d "..\DISC\RIPPER1.iso" "..\DISC\RIPPER2.iso"  "..\DISC\RIPPER3.iso" "..\DISC\RIPPER4.iso" "..\DISC\RIPPER5.iso" "..\DISC\RIPPER6.iso" -t cdrom

IIRC Ripper was one of those games that cut down on CD swapping by allowing you to use more than one CD drive for the CD's.
That would explain why each CD image is mounted separately -- it cuts down on the CD swapping (or Ctrl+F4-ing).

Reply 13 of 17, by Ensiferum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Skitters the game is patched to 1.05 version i've tried different combination as i've mentioned previously as was described in the readme file but no luck.
The instructions from the text file which I quote in the beginning are different from the error appear when I comment the "exit" command Qbix which mention.

When I play the game without exit in the conf file the error is : Error Allocating 536911984 bytes (1990476 left) in heap Main heap.

Reply 14 of 17, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It sounds like you weren't the one that patched it, and the patching was done by the installer or
the person who created the installer.

Ensiferum wrote:

When I play the game without exit in the conf file the error is : Error Allocating 536911984 bytes (1990476 left) in heap Main heap.

Does that mean it's trying to allocate 536911984 bytes when it only has space for 1990476?
Maybe the game can't handle 6 virtual CD drives.
Do you get the same error if you try zirkoni's suggestion?

zirkoni wrote:
I'd mount every image in D-drive and then change the CD with Ctrl+F4 when necessary: […]
Show full quote

Could also be a corrupt .iso -- in which case you'd have to make another .iso file from the
affected game CD.

Reply 15 of 17, by SweetieViaPony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there. I just managed to fix this issue myself, as it's plagued me occasionally for years. Ripper is a favorite of mine.

The problem was part of Ripper's initial release back in 1996. Back then, it could be bypassed with the proper bootdisk, provided by Take 2. It is not caused by a corrupt ISO, but is in fact an error in the game itself, hence the widespread nature.

My solution involves creating a new ISO for disc 3 and replacing the one you are using with it. The files causing the problem are EFW4.SMK and EFT56.SMK in the SCENE directory. Delete them and then create a new ISO. Ensure not to use Joliet for encoding (not sure what exactly that means, but it doesn't work with Ripper). This causes the game to display an error message when entering the lab, instead of just crashing. You can then just close the error message and continue, only missing the animation of walking into the room.

I just completed the game this evening and am make the rounds now, posting this solution, as I couldn't find one for years myself. I posted a step-by-step here, if you're having trouble http://portingteam.com/files/file/7401-ripper/

Reply 16 of 17, by Ensiferum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tnx Pony. I've finished the game and it's maybe one of the hardest game with Black Dahlia. I've tried same things with renaming the broken files and replace with new type of encoding but no luck, i think i not try to delete those two file maybe i have an a idea to try that but maybe i was thinking that the game will search for those files and nothing will help. Lastly found the ISO cd 3 and has no error. Tnx for the answer maybe will be a great help for someone who like to play the game this days.

BG, Igor

Reply 17 of 17, by K.A.R.R.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thx for the work pony, but the error actually comes from a broken iso.
(or may be an early game version....)

i compared the "EFW4.SMK" file from different versions.
my english and my german version EFW4.SMK files are equal but are different compared to the "abandonware" version.

so ppl who encounter the "Error Allocating 536911984 bytes (1990476 left) in heap Main heap." problem seem to use an old/damaged iso.