VOGONS

New heatsinks for my V5

Topic actions

First post, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

After safely removing the old heatsinks (YouTube) I finally managed to install some heatsinks on my V5, here are some pics:

Image 1

Image 2

I used Sunon maglev fans which are whisper quiet (Link) I used these heatsinks (Link) But they needed modifying cause the holes were about 2mm out. I put the crappy fans they came with in the bin 😀 And I used Arctic Silver 5 for the thermal paste.

The prices for these fans and heatsinks are very reasonable. It took a LOT of searching before I found adequate items. There seems to be a lack of decent VGA heatsinks on ebay, and even the half decent ones cost lots, plus you can never be sure about the hole distance because half the time they don't even advertise it.

All working good.

Reply 1 of 23, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Job well done, looks pretty nice.

mzry wrote:

I used these heatsinks (Link) But they needed modifying cause the holes were about 2mm out.

Were the heatsink's holes not actually 55mm apart or was the card's spacing something else?

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 23, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

they look backwards, so they suck air instead of blowing air over the heatsink or am i wrong?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 3 of 23, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's probably right (unless these fans run in reverse), but fans do the job in either configuration, and often more efficiently that way around. Since these old things don't come with temperature sensors, you're not really making an informed decision either way. Theoretically the card is blowing hot air in the opposite direction from the case's exhaust, though that's unlikely to matter.

Last edited by firage on 2016-11-29, 01:35. Edited 1 time in total.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 4 of 23, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mzry wrote:

After safely removing the old heatsinks (YouTube)

... I used the heat pump from my SMD and simply twisted them off. No screwdriver needed.

meljor wrote:

they look backwards, so they suck air instead of blowing air over the heatsink or am i wrong?

Yeah the fans are mounted backwards. I wouldn't leave them like that.

Personally I'd rather leave the original fans on the card since I consider it to be a historical piece. Replacing the heatsinks makes little to no difference, but replacing the crappy thermal glue 3dfx used is a good idea.

Reply 5 of 23, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lote-3dfx-voodoo-3-e-4-com-defeito-D_NQ_NP_578521-MLB20819499612_072016-F.webp

Oh, wise car mechanic 😈 , do you think there is still a chance for these historical piece (Voodoo4) ?

And how you remove rust from metal? I have some brackets, a Creative panel from Audigy 2 ZS and other
stuff in bad shape. I know vinegar is good and that's it.

kanecvr wrote:

Replacing the crappy thermal glue 3dfx used is a good idea.

And what would glue the heatsink afterwards ?

Reply 7 of 23, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Frasco wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

If you wanted to keep the originals I would recommend Arctic Silver Alumina thermal epoxy. But IMO if you're going to the trouble of taking them off, it's better for the longevity of the card to put better hestsinks on. Especially if you're like me and regularly play games with it. Lets face it they're nice and rare things but they're not exactly the mona lisa if you get my drift.

Reply 8 of 23, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

... I used the heat pump from my SMD and simply twisted them off. No screwdriver needed.

Yeah technically that's a better way, but not many people have that kind of equipment. A can of freeze spray is easy to obtain.

Reply 9 of 23, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firage wrote:

Job well done, looks pretty nice.
Were the heatsink's holes not actually 55mm apart or was the card's spacing something else?

The cards were something like 52/53mm so I had to cut the edge off one fin and elongate the hole back with a drill.

Reply 10 of 23, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, I'm pretty convinced.

I'll get a cold spray and try some new heatsinks.
I like the price point and low height of these things: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VC-RD-Twinkling-Gra … n-/200552830666
The fins just need to be bent a bit to make room for the closest 2 caps near one chip. I also found some replacement fans that get rid of the LED's and should run at 5V.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 11 of 23, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ended up going with Titan TTC-CUV1AB coolers for a sleeker classic look, and the Gembird VC-RD's will stay as backups for now.
kLgYEY4l.jpg
55 mm hole distance turned out to be right for my Mac DVI V5. Took the power connectors from the original fans, and got some custom stickers.

Very happy with the result. Thanks for the tips, got me to finally start work on the card.

About the cheapo VC-RD, its fan is perfect at 5V and the LED's don't even light up at that voltage, so I like it a lot for a fraction of the budget. The only issue is with the caps right next to the right hand side VSA-100; the VC-RD heatsink is a bit too wide, so its fins need to be bent to go around the caps. Not a major problem.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 13 of 23, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Frasco wrote:
https://http2.mlstatic.com/lote-3dfx-voodoo-3-e-4-com-defeito-D_NQ_NP_578521-MLB20819499612_072016-F.webp […]
Show full quote

Oh, wise car mechanic 😈 , do you think there is still a chance for these historical piece (Voodoo4) ?

And how you remove rust from metal? I have some brackets, a Creative panel from Audigy 2 ZS and other

kanecvr wrote:

I would assault it with Isopropyl Alchohol (Highest concentration possible) That should get rid of most of the damage, if there is still some, scrub it with baking soda, and than without rinsing, scrub it with vinegar. Make sure there is a decent amount of baking soda on there for a decent reaction.

Reply 14 of 23, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
firage wrote:
I ended up going with Titan TTC-CUV1AB coolers for a sleeker classic look, and the Gembird VC-RD's will stay as backups for now. […]
Show full quote

I ended up going with Titan TTC-CUV1AB coolers for a sleeker classic look, and the Gembird VC-RD's will stay as backups for now.
kLgYEY4l.jpg
55 mm hole distance turned out to be right for my Mac DVI V5. Took the power connectors from the original fans, and got some custom stickers.

Very happy with the result. Thanks for the tips, got me to finally start work on the card.

About the cheapo VC-RD, its fan is perfect at 5V and the LED's don't even light up at that voltage, so I like it a lot for a fraction of the budget. The only issue is with the caps right next to the right hand side VSA-100; the VC-RD heatsink is a bit too wide, so its fins need to be bent to go around the caps. Not a major problem.

Okay, if you really need to change the original ones, THIS is the way! Looks very good, nice job!

Reply 15 of 23, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:
Frasco wrote:
https://http2.mlstatic.com/lote-3dfx-voodoo-3-e-4-com-defeito-D_NQ_NP_578521-MLB20819499612_072016-F.webp […]
Show full quote

kanecvr wrote:

I would assault it with Isopropyl Alchohol (Highest concentration possible) That should get rid of most of the damage, if there is still some, scrub it with baking soda, and than without rinsing, scrub it with vinegar. Make sure there is a decent amount of baking soda on there for a decent reaction.

That is no way near dead yet. If you're really unlucky it is a bad ram chip but it looks like a bad connection somewhere to me.
Start with the basics: clean the pci/agp contacts and try another board.

Try a very light pressure on the card in every direction while starting the computer (so in a test setup and loose in the slot). If there is way to get a good picture there probably is a bad connection.
Don't move it when powered on, just keep it in a direction in the slot until you shut it off again ofcourse. Sounds weird but i solved problems that way.

Otherwise try recapping the card or a little reflow with a heatgun or something.

Reply 16 of 23, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello vogons,I am about to install two fanless Zalman zm80c heatsinks in my voodoo 5500.Please stay tuned for the details.

Attachments

• final_large.JPG
    Filename
    final_large.JPG
    File size
    18.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 134014283.jpg
    Filename
    134014283.jpg
    File size
    46.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 3_41810d_silent_pc.jpg
    Filename
    3_41810d_silent_pc.jpg
    File size
    21.22 KiB
    Views
    File license

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 17 of 23, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
V5cooler.jpg
Filename
V5cooler.jpg
File size
413.54 KiB
Views
File license

This is my solution for the card i repaired in my repair project thread. Seems to run fine at stock clock. 😀

3DFX - Gone but never forgotten

Reply 18 of 23, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kizmo wrote:
V5cooler.jpg

This is my solution for the card i repaired in my repair project thread. Seems to run fine at stock clock. 😀

I like your hestsinks, could you advise where to buy them from and whether the holes had to be manually drilled?

Reply 19 of 23, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mzry wrote:

I like your hestsinks, could you advise where to buy them from and whether the holes had to be manually drilled?

These were junk box finds, i think passive coolers for Pentium I cpus of some sorts. I did cut and drill them to fit.

3DFX - Gone but never forgotten