VOGONS

First post, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now I obviously know that Steam itself does not work on Windows 98, not since 2007. However, there are games that originally came out for windows 9x (Half-Life, Team Fortress Classic, Counter Strike, etc.) that can be bought on Steam. Is there anyway to play those games that are bought on steam on 98 without the steam interface? I also have the original retail versions of those games, and so far, the only way to play those games online is through the unofficial WON2 service. As much as I enjoyed playing on those servers, they are limited and not many people play on them. To play on the current servers for those games, you need to have the steam versions.

Recently, I downloaded an unofficial non-steam version of Counter Strike 1.6 (steam version) from this website.

[Link to copyrighted material deleted by moderator]

It works on Windows 98 and I am able to play on the servers listed on game tracker.

I wish there was something similar for Half-Life and Team Fortress Classic.

Reply 3 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the Valve games you can usually use the following switch to play the game without steam:
hl.exe -steam -game valve

hl.exe = game executable
-game = valve = game folder below game executable

Folder Structure:
Half-Life
-Valve
hl.exe

That only works with Valve games.

Counter-Strike
hl.exe -steam -game cstrike

Counter-Strike Condition Zero
hl.exe -steam -game cstrike

Day of Defeat
hl.exe -steam -game dod

Day of Defeat Source
hl2.exe -steam -game dod

Deathmatch Classic
hl.exe -steam -game dmc

Half-Life 2
hl2.exe
Need to verify this one

Half-Life 2 Episode 1
hl2.exe -game episodic

Half-Life 2 Episode 2
hl2.exe -game ep2

Half-Life Source
hl2.exe -game hl1

Half-Life 2 Deathmatch
hl2.exe -steam -game hl2mp

Half-Life 2 Update
hl2.exe -game hl2

Half-Life Blue Shift
hl.exe -steam -game bshift

Half-Life Opposing Force
hl.exe -steam -game gearbox

Portal
hl2.exe -game portal

Portal The First Slice Demo
hl2.exe -steam -game portal

Team Fortress Classic
hl.exe -steam -game tfc

For other games you may get lucky and they may not require steam or they may only require an steam_appid.txt file, etc.

If the game does require only Steam DRM then you can try a Steam emulator: SmartSteamEmu, Lumaemu, LumaCEG, Revolution Loader, etc
*These likely won't work on 9x since they are more than likely compiled with a newer ver of Visual Studio. Kernelex might work.

If the game requires Steam DRM and third party DRM then you may have to use a crack or in some cases a crack and an emu.

If the game isn't compatible with 9x then you'll need to try Kernelex.

The above assumes you have paid for your games and you want to play them offline in an older OS.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 13, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
For the Valve games you can usually use the following switch to play the game without steam: […]
Show full quote

For the Valve games you can usually use the following switch to play the game without steam:

Half-Life 2
hl2.exe
Need to verify this one

So if I were to buy a used, physical copy of Half-Life II, I could install and play the single-player campaign without having to create a Steam account and register online?

Call me crazy if you want, but I refuse to play games that come with a digital leash attached. The requirement that you create an account and register the game online is the reason I've never played HL2. That and I object to the fact that Steam killed the entire market for used copies of their games. If I can play it without Steam, I'd be willing to go buy a copy of it.

Reply 6 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No because the physical cds (of the original Nov 2004 retail release) are literally a Steam installer with some encrypted cache files that it will decrypt (and then immediately update to the latest after that's done.) You have no way of preventing the Steam update. You are also required to make an account and register the CD key provided (which is a one-time use only - if you got this secondhand 'used' for reasons other than collecting the different HL2 boxes, then you are scammed)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 13, by Mogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are hundreds of games on Steam that don't require the client once installed. The thing is the game has to be installed first. I install those games on my desktop, copy the folder to an EHD and then transfer it to my laptop that doesn't have Steam installed. Works pretty good. The thing is both machines are Windows 7.

Reply 8 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You always see this tossed (There are TONS of games on Steam without DRM because all the indie games I download don't have DRM and because I specifically don't download those games...) around like the people bitching about DRM on steam don't have a legit concern.

SteamSpy lists 12,805 games on steam.
This page http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games lists roughly 650+ or so games that can be run without Steam either by running the executable or doing some extra work to make it run without Steam (no cracks mentioned).

While I have no doubt that the List of DRM free games is no where near complete we can probably agree that the DRM free games on steam is nowhere near 1,000+ games.....but yeah there are hundreds of DRM free games on steam.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 13, by Mogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

This page http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games lists roughly 650+ or so games that can be run without Steam either by running the executable or doing some extra work to make it run without Steam (no cracks mentioned).

Yep, that's the list I use. I found it on the GOG community forums. Pretty accurate (for what I have anyway) and people on the forum are always testing out games.

Last edited by Qbix on 2017-01-02, 19:22. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quote

Reply 10 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mogamer wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

Yep, that's the list I use. I found it on the GOG community forums. Pretty accurate (for what I have anyway) and people on the forum are always testing out games.

That is a very useful list. I wonder if there is one for GOG games?

I've had good luck with running GOG games on Windows 98 machines by just copying the unpacked folder.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11 of 13, by Mogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Mogamer wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

That is a very useful list. I wonder if there is one for GOG games?

I've had good luck with running GOG games on Windows 98 machines by just copying the unpacked folder.

Since all GOG games are DRM-free, I wouldn't think another list would be needed. Now if you want a list of games that can be played in non-supported OS's, that would be useful. What games have you found to work in Win 98?

Reply 12 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mogamer wrote:

Since all GOG games are DRM-free, I wouldn't think another list would be needed. Now if you want a list of games that can be played in non-supported OS's, that would be useful. What games have you found to work in Win 98?

Well the thread is about getting games to work on Windows 98, so that's what I'm interested in!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13 of 13, by Mogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Mogamer wrote:

Well the thread is about getting games to work on Windows 98, so that's what I'm interested in!

That Steam list is for drm-free games on Steam and not Windows 98 compatibility. So that is why I said what I said.