VOGONS

First post, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

This is my newest build.
I aquired this system at the same time as my AM486. High resolution pictures can be found here

WKqI3MSh.jpg

It features:

Motherboard: ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 Rev 3.10
CPU: Intel Pentium-S 133MHz
RAM: 32MB 60ns EDO RAM
Cache: 512KB Onboard (64MB RAM Cachable)
Graphics card: S3 Trio64V+ 2MB
Ethernet: 3Com PCI Ethernet Card
Soundcard: Soundblaster 16 CT1740 DSP 4.05
HDD: 5GB Quantum Fireball
CD: ASUS 40xMax CD Drive
Floppy: 1.44MB 3 1/2' Drive
Midi Module: Roland MT-32 (OLD)

Peripherals:
PS/2 Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse 1.2A
USB Mouse: Logitech G5
Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro
Keyboard: IBM Model M
Mousepad: Steelseries QcK
Monitor: Fujitsu Siemens C775
Speakers: NEC Stereo Speakers

It is running Windows 98 SE with an adapted version of Phil's DOS Starter Pack.
I'm using SoftMPU for the MT-32. This card needs the /SBMIDI and /DELAYSYSEX switch to work in Strike Commander.

Here's an inside view.

pmRz5NPh.jpg

Expansion cards.

S9B7srqh.jpg

Rear I/O

EAmyXv7h.jpg

Here we have Age of Empires running in Windows.

8s1B5y4h.jpg

HGNBP2wh.jpg

This is Descent 2 running under Windows using the Sidewinder 3D Pro.

ebpmWcGh.jpg

Under DOS this machine is quite capable, it's running Duke Nukem 3D at 640x480 decently.

kwYg7fhh.jpg

jbHD2Kwh.jpg

Doom 2 is also great.

tGc229Bh.jpg

Strike Commander is wonderfully smooth on this machine.

V6nHEdOh.jpg

gCoyvIih.jpg

Now, you may have asked yourself what all the CPUs on the Keyboard are for.

If you would like to see another CPU in this machine you can pick from these. I originally made a strawpoll but that doesn't quite work, so just post in the thread what you want me to use.

RkFBIu9h.jpg?1

I hope you enjoy the machine!

Last edited by Hellistor on 2016-12-11, 23:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Dual 1GHz Pentium III machine
700MHz Pentium III machine
550MHz PIII IBM 300PL
Socket 7 machine, CPU yet undecided
100MHz AMD 486DX4 machine

Reply 1 of 9, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reserved for Updates.

I removed the Strawpoll. It doesn't quite work as I thought it would. For example it doesn't let you change your vote afterwards.

Also I removed the Pentium MMX CPUs as Options as I already have a System with one of those.

Feel free to voice your opinion on which of the CPUs shown above I should use!

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 2 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd love to see the P54 running for some SETMUL test register benching. How smooth does it slow and how slow does it go?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 9, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

I'd love to see the P54 running for some SETMUL test register benching. How smooth does it slow and how slow does it go?

That's actually a good idea! As soon as I have time I'll get SETMUL running and run some benchmarks with Phil's DOS Benchmark collection.
I can tell you though that disabling the caches in the Bios results in good slowdown. Ultima 6 for example runs pretty well.

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 5 of 9, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice build.

How do you find the 40x CD-ROM? I had a 48x Compaq drive in my P133 rig and had to try to reduce the speed due to noise. I managed to set it to 4x in DOS but had trouble in Windows. I later picked up a quad speed CD-ROM which is much better - no more hair dryer!

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 6 of 9, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
foey wrote:

Very nice build.

How do you find the 40x CD-ROM? I had a 48x Compaq drive in my P133 rig and had to try to reduce the speed due to noise. I managed to set it to 4x in DOS but had trouble in Windows. I later picked up a quad speed CD-ROM which is much better - no more hair dryer!

Thank you! It was fun building it.

Well with the CD drives I have a "whichever works" attitude. I try to get something that doesn't look out of place but other than that I'm not concerned much buy noise and such.
I used this one because it's an ASUS drive and I like pairing it with the ASUS motherboard.

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 7 of 9, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The trouble I found with quicker drives was one the noise and two the constant spinning down (Big latency for older games) The older drives, 2-12x were much quicker to spin up. Just wondered if you had any issues.

I just replaced my Cyrix 6x86 for a Pentium 133mhz like yours and found it to be all round quicker. It's very close to what I had back in the day now.
Cyrix Instead - Desktop Build

Love your case 😀

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 8 of 9, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
foey wrote:

The trouble I found with quicker drives was one the noise and two the constant spinning down (Big latency for older games) The older drives, 2-12x were much quicker to spin up. Just wondered if you had any issues.

That makes sense, I noticed long loading times from the CD, but I don't really mind to be honest.

foey wrote:

I just replaced my Cyrix 6x86 for a Pentium 133mhz like yours and found it to be all round quicker. It's very close to what I had back in the day now.
Cyrix Instead - Desktop Build

That looks like a nice machine! I really like Desktop cases.

foey wrote:

Love your case 😀

Thanks! I think it fits with the "ASUS Theme" for some reason. That's why I called it Strix.

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 9 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
foey wrote:

Very nice build.

My 40x CDROM drive was very noisy as well (not sure about brand, but I don't think it was ASUS). I think it starts getting a bit better below, say, 30x or so.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!