VOGONS

Reply 520 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah I remember that thread. Yes, that basically gives you a few more options to dial in slowed down performance.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 522 of 781, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I put a ton of hours into benching the test registers. This might save you some time, Phil.
SETMUL VPD= slightly slower Pentium (P166)
SETMUL BPD= slightly slower Pentium (P166)
SETMUL VPD BPD= moderately slower Pentium (P133)
SETMUL DCD= midrange 486
(combinations of DCD, VPD AND BPD are negligibly slower than DCD by itself)
SETMUL CCD= slow 486
(combinations of CCD, VPD and BPD are negligibly slower than CCD by itself)
SETMUL CCD+DCD is the same as L1D. Don't bother 😀
SETMUL L1D= fast 386
SETMUL L1D+BPD+VPD= midrange 386

My system doesn't have L2, that might be something to explore further, how L2 affects the speed points.

Reference links:
Re: What's up with all those Setmul switches?
Let's benchmark our systems with caches disabled

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 524 of 781, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great SCSI2HD review Phil. It's nice to see some SCSI gear on your channel. And I would buy one of these right away if it came in an ultra wide or even an LVD version.

My computers were all SCSI until a few years after SATA came out, and only because I couldn't find SCSI DVD drive that wasn't external and didn't cost 500 USD. I loved that 68pin wide cables were actually smaller and made for cleaner builds than 50 pin narrow SCSI cables or even 40pin IDE cables.

Looking on eBay, used Ultra Wide and LVD SCSI drives are cheap. All you need as an adapter (and proper termination) to use them with a 50 pin narrow cable. From my recollection, many LVD drives could also work in single ended mode with only a jumper change.

Reply 525 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good tip. I do have a 9 GB SCSI drive, 7200 rpm with 80 pin connector. Got an adapterto 50 pin, but haven't tried it yet.

SCSI2SD SD Card SCSI Drive Review

Reply 526 of 781, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lol, thanks for the 233 MMX vid. BTW, the prices must have crept up in the past 18-24 months. I bought one off eBay at that point, for about $5.95 BIN and it was among a few of them at that price.

Reply 527 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kodai wrote:

Lol, thanks for the 233 MMX vid. BTW, the prices must have crept up in the past 18-24 months. I bought one off eBay at that point, for about $5.95 BIN and it was among a few of them at that price.

Well, I am searching from Australia, although I do tick global searches. Also, it's close Xmas time, so prices are usually at their peak. I just picked prices based on what's available BIN if you want one right now.

Reply 528 of 781, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Considering the prices on tons of retro gear have shot up 2 - 3 times their going rate in the past couple of years, I would think that the $30+ price range for this little CPU accurate.

Reply 529 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pentium MMX 233 Review

I really like the look of these chips. For some reason, many Socket 7 CPUs look really lovely. Like the white K6 or the golden Cyrix.

Reply 530 of 781, by M-HT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was a bit surprised at the prizes - I bought my Pentium MMX 233 for 5€ (including shipping) a few months ago (not from eBay). I guess I should count myself lucky.

Reply 531 of 781, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
M-HT wrote:

I was a bit surprised at the prizes - I bought my Pentium MMX 233 for 5€ (including shipping) a few months ago (not from eBay). I guess I should count myself lucky.

I was thinking exactly the same.
Then I started looking at some random motherboards and other stuff and had my eyes pop out of their sockets 😲

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 532 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the search I'm using. Worldwide and sorted by lowest price+shipping.

Cheapest MMX 233 is AUD 28 from China.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/CPUs-Processors/16 … 33&LH_PrefLoc=2

Anything I'm doing wrong?

Reply 533 of 781, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Anything I'm doing wrong?

Yes, you're using Australian EBay. Only items checked to show on international sites will show up. You should use .com (US) site.

Here we have a 233mmx for 8 USD from Russia

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Socket-7-Intel-Pentiu … ~IAAOSw44BYHZHT

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 534 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

[Yes, you're using Australian EBay. Only items checked to show on international sites will show up. You should use .com (US) site.

Of course, I am from Australia after all 😀

But we do have to pay a bit more compared to the people in the US.

Reply 535 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCI Graphics Card Roundup S3 Cirrus Logic Trident Tseng

Most already know the outcome of this roundup 😀

Reply 536 of 781, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
vetz wrote:

[Yes, you're using Australian EBay. Only items checked to show on international sites will show up. You should use .com (US) site.

Of course, I am from Australia after all 😀

But we do have to pay a bit more compared to the people in the US.

Let me explain a bit more what I meant 😀 If you're searching for local auctions, then using the Australian Ebay will give more results than if you used the US site (or UK, DE). This you can easily test by changing your shipping country to the local one, for instance if you go to ebay.de and select Germany you get more results than having Australia.

If you're buying internationally, then using the .com site is the best option. The reason is that every country who does not have a local Ebay normally post on the .com site. If the seller do not check that their auctions should show on regional sites then it won't show up in the "Ebay international sellers" or "worldwide" section on Ebay Australia. This is the reason I found the Russian auction on the .com site. It was not available on the Australian Ebay, even if the item could be shipped worldwide.

Reply 537 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But that auction you linked has Australia excluded. That confused me, I wasn't sure what you were trying to say, but I understand it now.

Yes for the videos I keep it simple and only consider international items. People can then tweak their searches, get a better deal, but I have no time for this. So the prices are quick judgements nothing more.

Reply 538 of 781, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you did a good job with the wording on this subject in the last video with the MII 300 😀

Reply 539 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks 😀

Also a quick update on the SCSI2SD, it got repaired and I have it back again. Tip: Don't flash the USB bootloader 😊

I might use it in a storage roundup on a 386 or something like that?