VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2820 of 3949, by Arklay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Test for Star Wars The Phantom Menace.
With dgvoodoo 2.4.5.0 the game is perfect no setting used, but with the new versions 2.5.3.0 I have this message "COULD NOT INITIALIZE GRAPHICS HARDWARE error". If I use those specifics settings everything is perfect.
JVlhWy5.jpg
My gpu is an Ati r380

Reply 2822 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a large collection of older PC racing game screenshots I took, upscaled using a mix of dgVoodoo and nGlide: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/top … c,152678.0.html

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2823 of 3949, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
D3D11 can only accept shader byte code of version 4.x/5.0, so old D3D8/9 shaders (1.x - 3.x) cannot be utilized without recompil […]
Show full quote
gameragodzilla wrote:

Why not use Komat's method then if it seems to function fine without the brief lagging?

D3D11 can only accept shader byte code of version 4.x/5.0, so old D3D8/9 shaders (1.x - 3.x) cannot be utilized without recompiling.

gameragodzilla wrote:

Though seems like Komat is only compatible with Pandora Tomorrow rather than Splinter Cell 1's buffer shadows so I guess there's a difference between the two games?

Fixing the shadow buffers (SC1) could be possible through pure D3D8 but the fix needs additional logic over MS D3D8 then.

If you don't mind, could you explain how it could be done? I wanted to try it, just for the fun of it

Reply 2824 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Here's a large collection of older PC racing game screenshots I took, upscaled using a mix of dgVoodoo and nGlide: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/top … c,152678.0.html

I didnt know Taxi 2 was ported to PC. It looks far better than the PS version, in my opinion one of the worst racing games ever done.

Reply 2825 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stranno wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I didnt know Taxi 2 was ported to PC. It looks far better than the PS version, in my opinion one of the worst racing games ever done.

Taxi 2 (French only release) was made by Blue Sphere, who previously made the DOS arcade racer GT Racing 97 (a much better game). Taxi 2 has rather sensitive handling and is overly hard due to poor car controls. It also runs at a million miles an hour unless you lock it to 60hz.

Did you know there was an even worse game though? That's right, Taxi 3... this is the PS2 version, as the PC version videos on YouTube are really jerky (it's not): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlDseF-LhgU

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2826 of 3949, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Advent Rising Broken Shadows

Wanted to leave the thread I posted but I wanted to bring up another game that is forked over with modern hardware for lacking some buffer hardware, Advent Rising. Apparently the game was broken even at the time was released with the shadowing system on anything but an ATI card. I have tried dgvoodoo2 with this title and it does not really do anything outside of making my game lag a bit but wanted to bring this up so maybe Dege can implement support from the shaders that the ATI 9800 supported.

Reply 2827 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dakar Rally, another obscure japanese rally game with japanese error message.

DAKAR_2016-12-28_17-06-51.png

Same error with DXWnd.

DirectX 3 game, pretty old. It is, quite probably, Playstation HLE emulation. You can turn on "emulation" in registry and it looks exactly the same as the Playstation game.

Reply 2829 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stranno wrote:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h3I1OGYuDVw/WGPjDiMeBmI/AAAAAAAAT-c/07r99RX0DKM/s0/DAKAR_2016-12-28_17-06-51.png DirectX 3 ga […]
Show full quote

DAKAR_2016-12-28_17-06-51.png
DirectX 3 game, pretty old. It is, quite probably, Playstation HLE emulation.

Same could be said for a lot of psx-to-pc ports of the nineties, like Air Assault japan only pc release or a lot of Taito pc games. Considering system requirements and average hardware of those times, it definitely cannot be LLE.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 2832 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Classic Max Payne games with dgVoodoo: http://imgur.com/a/jMVZo

Check this thread: Max Payne 1 & 2 Startup Hang Patch

PS: Max Payne 2 doesn't use d3d9.dll at all for rendering, it just loads it very early, does some queries or something, unloads it, then everything is driven with d3d8.dll

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 2835 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

dgVoodoo 2 has a problem with Chrome engine 1 (Chrome and Chrome SpecForce)

fmt: X8R8G8B8
1728x1080, bpp:16, hz:60, fmt: R5G6B5
1728x1080, bpp:24, hz:60, fmt: X8R8G8B8
CAPS: MaxSimultaneousTextures 8
CAPS: MaxTextureBlendStages 8
FATAL ERROR: Cannot find valid frame buffer format!

(1728x1080 is my custom 16:10 resolution, declared through NVidia Panel)

Reply 2836 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strange, I deleted the dlls and configs file, re-"installed" dgVoodoo2 and now it works 😐

[PID] 2684
[CPU] vendor: GenuineIntel, features: FPU CMOV TSC MMX SSE SSE2, clock frequency: 3792.00MHz
[MATH] SSE path
[VER] Net:10103
[VER] SaveGame:50041
No run-info file <run.ini> !
D3DRenderer: supported display modes:
1440x1080, bpp:16, hz:60, fmt: R5G6B5
1440x1080, bpp:24, hz:60, fmt: X8R8G8B8
1728x1080, bpp:16, hz:60, fmt: R5G6B5
1728x1080, bpp:24, hz:60, fmt: X8R8G8B8
CAPS: MaxSimultaneousTextures 8
CAPS: MaxTextureBlendStages 8
D3DRenderer: chosen display mode:
resolution: 1728x1080, refresh: 60Hz
frame buffer: color_bits: 24, alpha_bits: 0, format: X8R8G8B8
back buffer: color_bits: 24, alpha_bits: 0, format: X8R8G8B8
depth buffer: depth_bits: 32, stencil_bits: 0, format: D32
VendorDesc: \\.\DISPLAY1
VendorID: 0
DeviceID: 0
TweakFlags: 0
[TexMgr] Max texture dimensions: 8192x8192, compression supported
[TexMgr] Texture format L4 -> L8
[TexMgr] Texture format L8 -> L8
[TexMgr] Texture format A8 -> A8
[TexMgr] Texture format A4L4 -> A8L8
[TexMgr] Texture format A8L8 -> A8L8
[TexMgr] Texture format R5G6B5 -> R5G6B5
[TexMgr] Texture format A4R4G4B4 -> A4R4G4B4
[TexMgr] Texture format R8G8B8 -> X8R8G8B8
[TexMgr] Texture format A8R8G8B8 -> A8R8G8B8
[TexMgr] Texture format render target -> X8R8G8B8
[TexMgr] Texture format render target alpha -> A8R8G8B8
[TexMgr] Cubemap format L4 -> L8
[TexMgr] Cubemap format L8 -> L8
[TexMgr] Cubemap format A4L4 -> A8L8
[TexMgr] Cubemap format A8L8 -> A8L8
[TexMgr] Cubemap format R5G6B5 -> R5G6B5
[TexMgr] Cubemap format A4R4G4B4 -> A4R4G4B4
[TexMgr] Cubemap format R8G8B8 -> X8R8G8B8
[TexMgr] Cubemap format A8R8G8B8 -> A8R8G8B8
[TexMgr] Cubemap format render target -> X8R8G8B8
[TexMgr] Cubemap format render target alpha -> A8R8G8B8
[CSoundMixerDS3D] caps PRIMARY16
[CSoundMixerDS3D] caps PRIMARY8
[CSoundMixerDS3D] caps PRIMARYMONO
[CSoundMixerDS3D] caps PRIMARYSTEREO
[CSoundMixerDS3D] caps SECONDARY16BIT
[CSoundMixerDS3D] caps SECONDARY8BIT
[CSoundMixerDS3D] caps SECONDARYMONO
[CSoundMixerDS3D] caps SECONDARYSTEREO
[CSoundMixerDS3D] caps Max hw static buffers: 1
[CSoundMixerDS3D] caps Max hw 3d all buffers: 0 free 0
[CSoundMixerDS3D] caps Max hw 3d static buffers: 0 free 0
[CSoundMixerDS3D] caps Max hw 3d streaming buffers: 0 free 0
[CSoundMixerDS3D] caps secondary freq from 100 to 200000
CD3DRenderer::GetBackBuffer(..): cant convert back buffer data: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL!
CD3DRenderer::GetBackBuffer(..): cant convert back buffer data: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL!
[Renderer] fog: 0 : 0
[LoadMaterial] Default mat used instead of .\data\materials\water\water_refl_uw.mat (data\meshes\test\.\data\materials\water\water_refl_uw.mat)
[LoadBinary.ILoad]: Can`t open file without name
[FXHeightMap.Load] Can't load heightmap
[LoadWave] cannot open file: data\sounds\net\respawn\invobject
FXEmitter@9b46dc StartCLightmapMgr::Shutdown(): some lightmaps still referenced! (materials not freed)

Reply 2837 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

I use crosire d3d8to9 for Max Payne 1&2. It works flawless.

But there's no guarantee it will work flawlessly forever with original DLLs. The risks associated with doing heavy stuff in DllMain have been known forever, but Remedy guys haven't considered that, and few years later, things started to break. It still seems to work flawlessly on NVIDIA out of the box, at least on 368.81 drivers, but again, there is no guarantee this will always be the case.

In such cases, some people love to blame Windows, drivers etc. because it happened to work on early versions of those, only careful examination reveals the actual culprit.

lowenz wrote:
UCyborg wrote:

PS: Max Payne 2 doesn't use d3d9.dll at all for rendering, it just loads it very early, does some queries or something, unloads it, then everything is driven with d3d8.dll

Exactly.

Right, should've quoted dege's original post. 😁 I wrote that because he stated at one point that Max Payne 2 uses D3D9 runtime, but only utilizes D3D8 level features and I've noticed that d3d9.dll is already gone from the process by the time configuration dialog shows up, though indeed it does actually make some calls to d3d9 before that. Perhaps this is why MP2 takes noticably more time to launch then MP1? At least that's what I notice on my PC.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 2838 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Patch for 3D Mark 2001 SE done so it can run via dgVoodoo as well: 3D Mark 99 Max & 2001 SE Startup Hang Patch
On 6th test, it throws this error: P_D3D::DRV_allocateMap - device does not support bump normal maps

Also, Windows applies some compatibility workarounds to the executable to prevent it from crashing as apparently the program does something ugly. One of those fixes is apparently the one that limits number available of available resolutions, so when run via stock d3d8.dll, only first few resolutions are available. Would be cool if someone figured out a patch to make it run flawlessly without those compatibility workarounds.

3DMark2001SECompat.png
Filename
3DMark2001SECompat.png
File size
101.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception