VOGONS

awe64 - no sound

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 104, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you let us know how far you got? There's often only one part that is problematic.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 104, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is prior to the SB Pro being installed? If so, let's get the AWE64 installed then make any changes after.
Use either the Win98 tutorial or the one for MS-DOS from Phil's website.
http://www.philscomputerlab.com/tutorials-and … awe64-gold.html

As I'm not sure which OS you're using right now, please let me know what your test system is running and how far you got on the tutorial.

Reply 25 of 104, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AWEUTIL loads properly (and is resident if you run MEM /C/P)? What IO port was assigned to the EMU8k MPU? Be sure to set this port as MIDI output in game setups, otherwise the sound card's game port might be used for MIDI out and you don't have a MIDI module connected.

Reply 26 of 104, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my settings for awe64 are

base I/O - 220h
wavetable - 620h
mpu401- 300h
irq - 5
dma - 1, 5

and in the post where to get two soundcards at once with my awe64 and sb pro 2 - what did comment out mean

Reply 28 of 104, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try going through the steps in this post and let me know how it goes:
AWE64 Gold, no GM in DOS

Reply 30 of 104, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay. First, is that jumper installed as specified? Second, have you enabled the line for GM emulation for games that use MIDI? Alternately, try testing Doom, Descent, or one of the other games which use the EMU chip directly before worrying about GM emulation.

Reply 31 of 104, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All you need to do to get SFX, FM and EMU8000 working in an AWE64 is the following lines in AUTOEXEC.BAT (here I assume your SB stuff is installed in C:\SB; if it's elsewhere, changes the path accordingly):

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
C:\SB\CTCM.EXE
C:\SB\AWEUTIL.COM /S

I also have the following two lines before, but I think they are not mandatory (unless you want GM emulation):
SET SOUND=C:\SB
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0

And I also run the mixer to set the volume:
C:\SB\MIXERSET.EXE /P /Q

So really, the entire SB-related junk in my AUTOEXEC is:

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 32 of 104, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

one thing to note, I'd go into the directory ctcu is in, use the patched one to setup its config, this creates the ctpnp.cfg (I think thats it, off top of my head) file. once you exit ctcu with awe64 configured, copy that file to c:\ so when you run ctcm it fints id, it looks in current directory.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 33 of 104, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Okay. First, is that jumper installed as specified? Second, have you enabled the line for GM emulation for games that use MIDI? Alternately, try testing Doom, Descent, or one of the other games which use the EMU chip directly before worrying about GM emulation.

yes the jumper is on and try the setting in autoexec.bat and still nothing and trying using doom to test it and always getting fx sounds but no midi background music

Reply 34 of 104, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:
All you need to do to get SFX, FM and EMU8000 working in an AWE64 is the following lines in AUTOEXEC.BAT (here I assume your SB […]
Show full quote

All you need to do to get SFX, FM and EMU8000 working in an AWE64 is the following lines in AUTOEXEC.BAT (here I assume your SB stuff is installed in C:\SB; if it's elsewhere, changes the path accordingly):

I also have the following two lines before, but I think they are not mandatory (unless you want GM emulation):

And I also run the mixer to set the volume:

So really, the entire SB-related junk in my AUTOEXEC is:

done that and still same result as before - sounf fx yeah but no midi background music

Reply 35 of 104, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1) Am I correct that no matter what you tried and no matter which environment you tested in, you never got any FM or AWE music to play, ever?
2) Can we see a photo of the card?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 36 of 104, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doom is able to find the EMU chip? Last thing, run MIXERSET and crank all the inputs.

I'm starting to wonder if we're looking at a broken trace or maybe a blown component.

Reply 37 of 104, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

1) Am I correct that no matter what you tried and no matter which environment you tested in, you never got any FM or AWE music to play, ever?
2) Can we see a photo of the card?

When I run diagnose to see what sound isn't coming out, I get 8-bit and 16-bit sound but no awe wave form or synthesised sound coming out and few pics of card below

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    Filename
    image.jpeg
    File size
    1.32 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • image.jpeg
    Filename
    image.jpeg
    File size
    1.85 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image.jpeg
    Filename
    image.jpeg
    File size
    1.69 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image.jpeg
    Filename
    image.jpeg
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image.jpeg
    Filename
    image.jpeg
    File size
    1.42 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 38 of 104, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Doom is able to find the EMU chip? Last thing, run MIXERSET and crank all the inputs.

I'm starting to wonder if we're looking at a broken trace or maybe a blown component.

There is pics in last reply for pics of card and here are pics of config and autoexec.bat before and after installing the drivers for sound card

Attachments

Reply 39 of 104, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's this REINSTAL.COM thing?

You don't need CTCM in CONFIG.SYS.

You don't need DIAGNOSE or CTCU in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

I don't think any of this should hurt, but it definitely does not help, so maybe it's best to take it out.

I would also try with a bare CONFIG/AUTOEXEC (just press F5 to skip both files) and then try to run the sound-related lines of AUTOEXEC manually. Unless it needs HIMEM.SYS? Don't think so, but not sure.