VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Source: http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1483392373

Announcement : 3dfx Archive to shutdown in 2017 Yesterday at 22:26:13 Yep, you read that correctly. Not an April fools joke. […]
Show full quote

Announcement : 3dfx Archive to shutdown in 2017
Yesterday at 22:26:13
Yep, you read that correctly. Not an April fools joke.

The 3dfx Archive has been in service beginning in late 2001, meaning it's been operational for over 15 years now.

Folks will surely have noticed that I stopped expanding the 3dfx Archive and also am hardly active in the Forum since a long time now.

After investing many hundreds of hours of assembling the Files (and with the helpful assistance of other guys around the world) and investing what accumulates into many thousand Dollars/Euros over all these years, I simply think it's time to move on.

Apart from someone from Switzerland actually sending me 5 Euros via Mail as a little note of appreciation Cheesy , no income has ever been gained from the entire Site.
As I hate Internet Ads, that was never an Option either - thus all working as intended.
Always seen the 3dfx Archive as a purely service-oriented thing, a pure investment for public service purposes.

I long planned to downsize/restructure my Servers for a more personal use and I believe after so many years it's fair to say it's a good time for these changes.

And after over 15 years, I'd go as far as to say "Mission Accomplished" with a straight face.
The 3dfx Archive and its attached Forum did their respective jobs. But now it's time for them to eventually retire.

----------------------------------------
Timeline I have in mind isn't pressing.

I'd reckon I'd take it down no earlier than mid-2017, so that leaves about 6 months of slack time.

Notes :
- the very old offer to send a set of DVDs containing the entire 3dfx (File) Archive to any location worldwide, free of any cost, remains standing
- naturally I'll keep everything archived in local storage, so there's no real deadline attached where "everything would be lost"
- just want to be positive that this Forum will go offline as well, so make sure to copy/archive anything you still need in the future
(restoring anything from Forum backups is next to impossible to me, especially anything Users might have stored in their PM folders which I naturally never had any access to)

So please plan accordingly and prepare to phase out the usage of this Forum.

--------------------------------------------

Kinda hard to tell what's the right thing to say after such a long time, other than things seemed to work out pretty well.

I want to thank all 3dfx Supporters for their long-lasting support and activities, and especially everyone keeping this Forum friendly and useful Smiley

So keep Jun/Jul 2017 in mind when it comes to using this Forum.

PS.
This Thread is open for any discussion, questions or requests Smiley

Farewell to a fantastic community asset.

Reply 1 of 56, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Not on my watch will it go down. I own a server and I'll host it myself if I have too.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-01-04, 00:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 56, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Rhuwyn wrote:

Is this something we could archive on Vogon's drivers?

Maybe. its a big archive in that it has tones of files. If need be I'll setup a FTP server for it.

Reply 5 of 56, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mwdmeyer wrote:

Yeah I've offered a server if he wants. Can pretty much host anything. We have many servers

Yeah, I asked for a copy of the archive my self. I could host the site, but my network would not be the best for it nore do I want to deal with hosting a website. A FTP server for the archive I'm ok with. I think the admin just wants out of it. So whoever hosts it will have to maintain it too.

Reply 6 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the files will not get lost that soon, but information on forums tends to do disappear.

I think this does classify as a loss, but at least we'll have half a year to make best use of what's available there.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 56, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a shame, an end of an era.

Most files i need i have i think but i downloaded anyway. Thanks.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used HTTrack to grab a local copy of the website (without forums) and it is ~4.5GB . Small to store just in case files are needed in the future.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 56, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A very sad state of affairs, this site helped me immensely back when I was first starting to fool around with a Voodoo 1 and 2 and I'm sure many others have the same experience!

At least we'll have the archive, hosting this right next to VOGONSDrivers would be awesome!

Reply 10 of 56, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm in the process of archiving the whole lot (including forums). http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com

I'll continue to run the archive process until the site goes offline.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 11 of 56, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's great guys!

I'm doing a more selective approach, uploading the, what I deem most important drivers and tools, to my website. A curation so to speak.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

mwdmeyer, fantastic!

Are you also making a backup of the pages that explain how to identify 3DFX graphics cards?

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 56, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mwdmeyer wrote:

I'm in the process of archiving the whole lot (including forums). http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com

You are a hero 😀.

Reply 14 of 56, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep entire website and forums. I will continue to host at the location above.

I'll link to it on the wiki once FF is taken down, I've created this page.
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/FalconFly_Central

The benefit of doing it this way is all the old links will work if you just change the domain name. It is an exact copy (obviously the forums are just static pages).

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 15 of 56, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mwdmeyer wrote:

You'r the man.... Thumbs up. 😁

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16 of 56, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great news! Thanks.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 17 of 56, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that's really a shame I've used this website over the years for drivers and DX (thanks to google), never actually noticed there is a forum there!

over the past years I noticed other things went missing, from old reviews to guides and such, archive.org helps but not much (lots of broken pages and content missing)

Reply 18 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SPBHM wrote:

that's really a shame I've used this website over the years for drivers and DX (thanks to google), never actually noticed there is a forum there!

over the past years I noticed other things went missing, from old reviews to guides and such, archive.org helps but not much (lots of broken pages and content missing)

Falconfly is like an element of the periodic table for retro computing to me.

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 56, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Holy crap.

End of an era. I only just sent him a few files the last couple years, too.

mwdmeyer, bless you for archiving it.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto