VOGONS

First post, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So my Voodoo2 card (Techworks branded, 12mb) seems to have suddenly stopped working properly, whenever Im running a game, all of the textures develop odd patterns. This happens with every game running on the Voodoo2 (running them on the host VGA card doesn't cause issues, and the 2D picture on the desktop is also ok)

Here is an example from Quake 2 (you will have to excuse the text box, but I think its good enough to get an idea)

quake00_zps6yv0jcmq.png

Ive tried different PCI slots and even computers, and its the same. The odd thing is, it was working a few hours earlier.

anyone know what the problem is , or what can be done to fix it?

thank you.

Reply 1 of 13, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whoa.. cool MOD! Which pin do I have to poke with a screw driver to get that effect 😀

On a more serious note, I have no idea 🙁 my monies would be on some memory being slightly defective? Does it happen to all textures? In which case maybe a more fundamental problem with some sort of processing going on there. I have no idea how the Voodoo organises it memory under the hood but that might give you an indication if its an isolated issue or not.

Reply 2 of 13, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it happens to just about all of the textures, and even text as you can see in the picture.

It doesn't crash or freeze so I don't think its a heat issue (even more so since the cases are open)

Reply 3 of 13, by Emu10k1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if you are not getting weird polygons and shapes out of nowhere and its only not loading textures properly, its probably faulty memory. I had a Riva tnt with the same problems and it was solved replacing the memory chips (Not the same card, but still...).

Try with other display resolutions to see if the pattern changes.

Reply 4 of 13, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Emu10k1 wrote:

if you are not getting weird polygons and shapes out of nowhere and its only not loading textures properly, its probably faulty memory. I had a Riva tnt with the same problems and it was solved replacing the memory chips (Not the same card, but still...).

Try with other display resolutions to see if the pattern changes.

different resolutions seem to make no impact from what Ive tried

Reply 5 of 13, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:

it happens to just about all of the textures, and even text as you can see in the picture.

It doesn't crash or freeze so I don't think its a heat issue (even more so since the cases are open)

Yes everything you see with dots/corrupted patterns in your screenshot is a texture (including the text). Does it develop over time or is there from the start? If over time, maybe a heat issue, but if it's there from the start its more likely a persistent issue with some memory. Bad chippy!

It certainly has all the hall marks of corrupted memory, although never seen it manifest itself in some sort of Saturday night fever tribute. 😀

Reply 6 of 13, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spiroyster wrote:
Darkman wrote:

It certainly has all the hall marks of corrupted memory, although never seen it manifest itself in some sort of Saturday night fever tribute. 😀

I have 😀
Does this look like a faulty Voodoo2, or something else is going on?

Reply 7 of 13, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:
spiroyster wrote:
Darkman wrote:

I have 😀
Does this look like a faulty Voodoo2, or something else is going on?

Cool 🤣
Reminds of this thread http://ompf2.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25.
From another forum.

Reply 8 of 13, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had texture thrashing like that. Turns out, it was a few bent pins on one of the texture mapping cpu chips that were touching each other. I used a sharp knife and separated them. Problem solved.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 10 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:

I had texture thrashing like that. Turns out, it was a few bent pins on one of the texture mapping cpu chips that were touching each other. I used a sharp knife and separated them. Problem solved.

That's the fix i usually come up with first with v1 and v2 as it is a common problem. But he states it worked fine before so assumed it was in a case all this time and could not get physically damaged.

But still worth a check: maybe some pins JUST didn't touch and now they do? When they do it creates the same problem and/or system lockups when trying to run 3D.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 12 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could be. It can also be a bad connection anywhere on the card.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1