VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 27, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

Is it possible to add "free/retail" and "single player/multiplayer" information to the items?

Hi! Sorry for not replying earlier, I kinda checked the forums here very sporadically and missed your post. It's a good idea, maybe I'll get around to this sometime. Most games listed should be SP, but I'm not sure about the numerous Half-Life derivative games.

Speaking of which I've just learned about a game called Paranoia 2 which is a sequel to a HL mod/TC and uses a GoldSrc engine recreation called Xash3D.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 21 of 27, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since Half life, and Half life 2 are listed as separate entities, could 'Counter Strike Source' be considered 'a standalone game' seperate to 'Counter Strike''? 🤣 Lost too much of my life to that game.

Reply 22 of 27, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added SPWW2 to the list, which started as a WW2-themed mod for Steel Pantehrs II. It turned out to be so good that SSI gave the developers the source code for the game to build future versions upon.

Reply 23 of 27, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a curious example: there's a WWI total conversion for Panzer General with an Austro-Hungarian campaign called K.u.k. General, which later served as a base for a libre data set for Panzer General engine recreation called LGeneral.

So far I've been unable to track down the original versions of the mod though (supposedly the files are kukv10.zip, kukv20.zip and kukv21.zip). The author's Tripod site is down. Version 1.0 was supposedly available here, but the link goes to some French search engine (?) that does not work anyway.

UPD: Found a different page of the mod, downloads don't work either there 🙁

On a different note, it also appears that Robot Redemption originally started as a HIvertank 3D mod before going stand-alone thanks to the source code release of the latter.

Reply 24 of 27, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Supplice is originally a high-quality Doom TC that's been in development for over a decade which has been recently announced to be released as a stand-alone game.

Reply 26 of 27, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't updated this in a while. Here's a few more recently released games that were originally mods or TCs:

REKKR: Sunken Land (commercial) - originally a vanilla Doom TC that can be played stand-alone as well (the paid version includes an extra episode).

Project A.W.O.L. (free) - a Build engine game that was developed from a 2007 Duke Nukem 3D TC called The A.W.O.L. Project.

Reply 27 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SRB2, a fan game, pretty much started out as a set of Doom WADs (very early 2D releases used The Games Factory, TGF, a successor to Klik&Play).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//