VOGONS

Diamond monster sound mx300 problems

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
northdale wrote:

I got the replacement card and everything works great now 😀 My Windows 98 retro beast is now complete, Thank you for all the help!

Awesome!

I can't help but be curious as to what was causing the other cards issues.
Guess we will never know, oh well 🤣

Reply 21 of 23, by bishopcop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hate to resurrect this thread but I have a very similar problem with my mx300 that I got recently. My problem is much simpler, The output is incredibly faint, I need to use an amp with max volume to hear anything, so the card is doing it's thing but the output is virtually non existent on any channel. This happens in any of my machines I put the card into (Abit Kt7a, or 4coredual sata2, or an old 440bx motherboard) in windows 98. Looking at the card I don't see any physical problems, the main large cap seems ok. I also tried all version of the drivers for 98. One thing that is strange is that on the headphone output (out2) there is a constant low level noise (hdd and fan interference) I can hear.

Reply 22 of 23, by bishopcop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I found the problem. The multiplexer IC (CD4052BCM) has one of the legs, the negative V input, burned out. It's a fairly small smd chip but should not be a problem replacing it, but it is most likely that the ceramic cap (C95) next to the burned leg needs replacement. Unfortunately I don't know it's value.