VOGONS

My Wavetable Sample Thread

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added the Diamond Monster Midi (4MB) daughterboard. This DB has a big "GS" on its patchset ROM, which leads me to believe that Dream was still illegally using Roland samples in its products at this time. If anyone has a real SCB-55, please post your impressions to the thread.

Reply 81 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added the Procomp Pro-Multimedia Rev 4.0. This card represents Samsung's entry into wavetable synthesis with the SEC KS0164 synth and the the KS0174-1M01 patchset. It plays the hell out of StarCraft.

Also, my OCD mission of replacing the noisy samples with less-noisy samples is now complete.

Reply 82 of 182, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Procomp has great sounding electric guitars and a dry tone, which helps it sound good in Doom and Duke. Neat, I had no idea Samsung had their hands in wavetable synth!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 83 of 182, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That 4MB Diamond Monster sounds very similar to my Roland SCC-1 to my ears - a great DB to own. Not sure about the Samsung tho, it brought to mind a busker I pass sometimes who plays drums made out of upturned plastic tubs 😵

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 84 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had to look up "busker," badmojo! Clueless1' and your opinion just goes to show how much tastes in GM music is subjective. We generally agree on the high-end stuff, but the "value" stuff leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

And speaking of subjective, the next card's FM synth is truly divisive.

Reply 86 of 182, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

Clueless1' and your opinion just goes to show how much tastes in GM music is subjective. We generally agree on the high-end stuff, but the "value" stuff leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

When you eventually get to the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, you will hear what IMO is the best sounding Doom version. But for whatever reason, the SC's great guitars in Doom sound terribly fake in Grabbag. The SC is a very interesting card, with some games sounding incredible and others sounding bad. Can't wait to hear your take on it.

Reply 87 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

When you eventually get to the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, you will hear what IMO is the best sounding Doom version. But for whatever reason, the SC's great guitars in Doom sound terribly fake in Grabbag. The SC is a very interesting card, with some games sounding incredible and others sounding bad. Can't wait to hear your take on it.

Yes, I have never installed the Santa Cruz, so reviewing it for this thread will be the first time. I've heard so many good things about it.

Where did you find the drivers, clueless1? I don't see them on vogonsdrivers.com.

Reply 88 of 182, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

Where did you find the drivers, clueless1? I don't see them on vogonsdrivers.com.

From Turtle Beach website in their legacy section. But looking around now, I can't seem to find it again. I do have the driver, so I can send it if you need it. It's 24MB.

Reply 90 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added the oldest sound card that I had bought at retail and still have in my possession, the Gravis Ultrasound ACE. 1MB onboard RAM. I included samples from One Must Fall and Jazz Jackrabbit, two cards that need a GUS for sample-based synthesis.

Reply 92 of 182, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've only now checked out this thread properly, and it's awesome! Well done Boxpressed 😀

I really like your take / view / opinions on these cards and make for a great read.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 94 of 182, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very cool thread, takes me back to playing on the 486. I will get my old 486 again maybe not the same one, but similar. The only problem is i was a kid during this time and i had no clue about hardware so im slowly learning.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 95 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! A lot of these samples came from my bench system, which uses a late-era 486 board (SiS 85C496/7 chipset) and a Cyrix 5x86. Some of the samples were taken with the Cyrix running at 120MHz (40MHz FSB) and some at 75MHz (25MHz FSB). For the Creative Music System samples, I killed the caches and set the multiplier to 1x to get a 386-class machine for the old Sierra games.

UPDATE: I replaced the samples from the NEC XR385, Dreamblaster S1, and Dreamblaster X2 with cleaner recordings (the old ones had a little clipping). For the DBX2, I deleted the samples from the default preset and added samples from two presets better suited to gaming.

Reply 96 of 182, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not familiar with Tyrian, is this Tyrian 2000 or the older one? And what it the song name or level name please?

Reply 97 of 182, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here are recordings for the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. Sounds quite good IMO.

Link to Album

Reply 98 of 182, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Link to Album

Doom is exceptional. The others are above-average. But there are a games I've tried that don't sound that good on the Santa Cruz. System Shock and Strike Commander are two I remember off the top of my head.

Reply 99 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Link to Album

For Tyrian, I just recorded the first minute after the game is started. The song is called "Tyrian: The Level." I used Tyrian 2000, one of the games you get for free from GOG. I think I had to patch it because of the Turbo Pascal runtime error.

Those samples do sound quite good. Were you able to get a 98SE machine to play them from actual gameplay or sound setup programs?