VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys,

Looking for some opinions / information...

I am building a 1994-1995 era PC with a Socket 7 Board / Pentium 1 133 MHZ, using a 2 MB Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 (S3 Virge 325) Video Card (non expandable) with Windows 95 installed / DOS Configured using PhilsComputerLab setup. My question is this:

This PC will be used to play 1993-1995 era DOS / Early Windows 1995 Games as well as running various Windows 95 apps. For the games part, with the era of games I am planning on playing on this, would it be worth the money to go get a 4 MB version of the S3 Virge Card for this build? Would there be a big difference?

Reply 1 of 8, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would say generally no - the biggest thing the extra RAM would give you is a higher maximum resolution. This might be helpful for games that use double-buffering, but in general a P133 and Virge combo isn't skookum enough to handle the kinds of resolutions that would need 4MB of RAM.

However, if the 4MB card is a Virge/GX or Virge/GX2 rather than a 325, it might be worth it - that's a faster chip, at least for 2D. (The Virge is generally uselessly slow for 3D in any case.)

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 2 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree with jade_angel. The only thing you'd gain with 4MB would be higher resolutions or color depths in Windows. With 2MB you should be capable of at least 1024x768x16bpp.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 8, by Super_Relay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i had (still have) an s3 virge back in the day, it had 2mb originally and i wanted to play tomb raider 2.

with the 2mb it had half the textures missing. Half of Lara's legs were shaded white and etc
That was probably at 512x384 res to keep the frame rate up.

I got my local PC shop to source the extra 2 ram chips for me as was the style in 1996 and with 4mb it was all textured.

really solid 2D card, just not really a great thing in 3D. it had issues with transparencies as well from memory even with the upgraded ram.

Reply 5 of 8, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What other 1995 era card would you recommend in the machine to fully play 1993-1995 era games? I have a Matrox Millenium (2 MB) card as well that I know is 95 era.

Or would the Virge I have play most of that era games outside the big 3D ones?

Reply 7 of 8, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have a Mach64 GT card and a Trio64V+ from the same 1995 era I just dug up...could give those a shot as well...Just want to get the best graphics performance for that era that I can with what i have now and maybe upgrade to something better (NV1?) later.