VOGONS

First post, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried testing Zone 66 on a Super Socket 7 with K6-III+ 400 but no matter what I did (disable caches, lower speed multiplier, etc) I couldn't get it to run. Anyone gotten it to run on a k6? I'm going to start swapping CPUs and jumpers but figured I would check here while I was at work 😁

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reportedly it is an unusually picky game due to its custom DOS extender. Unfortunately I am not sure what to tell you otherwise.

You might want to experiment with disabling himem.sys, as suggested by Zone 66 Shareware works, Registered doesn't .

Reply 2 of 9, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes it is picky 😀 I was using it as a test to see how compatible the K6-III+ with DOS stuff. I'm bypassing the config.sys and autoexec.bat on startup to remove any sort of setting that could interfere.

Reply 3 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could it be similar to the Origin extender which ignored L1 cache enable/disable status?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 9, by Blades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a K6-2 450MHZ and it works just fine IF i use a Dos boot disk(7.1). Works fine ......As in, loads up goes to the menu and can play the game.

Now as far as sound goes, its hit or miss. I have a SB AWE32(jumper version) and sometimes it will pick it up with the /S command(sometimes without) and i will get some music(however its like some channels aren't playing the full sound track so it just plays the base part of the music)(not the sound card as it works just fine with all my other games). And sometimes i get no music and just digitized sound when firing the plane within the mission. Sometimes it plays the intro story and sometimes it skips right to the menu. Finicky game.

And this is testing using Original Shareware version and also my Registered version that I bought decades ago that had missions 3 and 4 on a floppy disk.

From what i remember after downloading this game for the first time from a BBS back in my 386 33MHZ days was that it was a pain in the butt to get working properly back then. And still holds true to this day. While it is a fun game, i don't find it worth all the headache to get it properly working as it seems to vary. Its a picky game. So I play it as is.

;

Reply 6 of 9, by Blades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Blades wrote:

it was a pain in the butt to get working properly back then. And still holds true to this day.

Well, not in DOSBox. Just sayin'.

Ok, got me there. I was referring to actual DOS machines, as i think the OP was, not emulation.

;

Reply 8 of 9, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thraka wrote:

I tried testing Zone 66 on a Super Socket 7 with K6-III+ 400 but no matter what I did (disable caches, lower speed multiplier, etc) I couldn't get it to run. Anyone gotten it to run on a k6? I'm going to start swapping CPUs and jumpers but figured I would check here while I was at work 😁

This was the self bootable game correct?

I remember this ran fine on a 386. I can't recall if it worked on a 486 or Pentium 4.