Common searches

Interplay - sound driver hacking

Topic actions

Reply 61 of 65, by corentin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

Does somebody actually asked to B.Prince about the Instrument #122 issue ?
Many think that the "breath noise" is out of place in Doom & DN3D (havent tried for Descent) but i am not really convinced by the "Fl. Key Click" noise too.
Also on the Official Doom soundtrack CD the breath noise is used (although i understand it can be a mistake).
Just to be sure

Reply 62 of 65, by corentin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think some of you will be surprised but because i was not convinced by the "Fl. Key Click / Breath noise" issue i asked directly Mr. Prince (via his website) and the answer is : ...... for Doom / DN3D he used a GM compatible SC-55 ("v2"), and he confirmed "Breath noise" was indeed the instrument intended.

Not sure in which topic i should have posted this. You can move it if needed

Reply 63 of 65, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
corentin wrote:

...for Doom / DN3D he used a GM compatible SC-55 ("v2")...

Not sure if you'll see this reply, but thank-you for checking with Mr. Prince. Along the same lines, George "The Fat Man" Sanger was another early adopter of the Sound Canvas, and may have used one of the units with the incorrect capital tone in his compositions. I attempted to reach out to see if he still had his original unit, and if he could recall any use of either the Breath Noise or Fl. Key Click instruments, but never heard back, alas.

Also, on an interesting note, the SC-55 "version 2.0" reference in Mr. Prince's response is only the second such instance I've ever come across - the first having come from Roland directly.

Reply 64 of 65, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
corentin wrote:

I think some of you will be surprised but because i was not convinced by the "Fl. Key Click / Breath noise" issue i asked directly Mr. Prince (via his website) and the answer is : ...... for Doom / DN3D he used a GM compatible SC-55 ("v2"), and he confirmed "Breath noise" was indeed the instrument intended.

Not sure in which topic i should have posted this. You can move it if needed

awesome, thanks for asking this!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 65 of 65, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tikalat wrote:
Star Trek: Judgment Rites (1993) […]
Show full quote

Star Trek: Judgment Rites (1993)

Title: Driver fixes
Date: November 10, 2013

About:

General MIDI
- Send GS reset

MT-32 (Collector's CD)
- Fix detection
- Fix by DenizOezmen

=================================================
=================================================

Note:
Chose to leave the 25th Anniversary volume 'pseudo-bug' thing alone - looks more intentional when compared to other tracks, in-game music.

edit:
Game makes heavy use of ORCHESTRA, reverb, chorus, sc-55 sysex commands.

@stiletto
No, that's quite alright.

I wonder if teleport beam sound somehow can be restored? It only sounds when sbpro is choosed as music device, midi or mt-32 not played at all, strange!