Topic actions

Reply 40 of 62, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kadath wrote:
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:
Just got this finished... Motherboard: Jetway J7F2W(E) RAM: 1GB DDR2 533MHz CPU: VIA C7 1000MHz Video: 64MB VIA/S3G Unichrome Pr […]
Show full quote

Just got this finished...
Motherboard: Jetway J7F2W(E)
RAM: 1GB DDR2 533MHz
CPU: VIA C7 1000MHz
Video: 64MB VIA/S3G Unichrome Pro Integrated
HDD: 250GB SATA Partitioned into 2 120GB Drives
OS: Windows 98SE USP3.56 & XP Pro SP3 Registry mod for updates til 2019

I haven't got around to playing games or benching this yet.

Interesting and nice little beast 😀

Which use destination are you planning for it? Never thought about installing a small Linux distro like Damn Small Linux or the great (Knoppix) Puppy Linux?

I built it manly for messing around with just seeing if I can get 98SE to work on it even though it not listed as supported. The only linux version that like is lubuntu witch is ubuntu just less bloated and for DSL I always run into video card problem when using old hardware. Dont get me wrong I like linux a lot, but there driver are not the greatest and I cant run very many of my old games, wine works for some, but not all.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 41 of 62, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222347197663

I just bought this because it stood out at me that it had the capability of running two single slot PCI-E cards in SLI. Not very many compact systems that can run SLI. I recieved it however and I noticed that the front bezel was not in great shape like I thought it was. The rest of the system looks great but the entire front bezel is sticky and some of the plastic pieces look like they were glued back on after falling off but they dried crooked. Trying to decent if I should try and rescue it or look for another Mini-ITX case.

Reply 42 of 62, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kadath wrote:
Here's my smallest PC: do you recognize it? Had luck finding it during a periodical electronic market near the place where I liv […]
Show full quote

Here's my smallest PC: do you recognize it? Had luck finding it during a periodical electronic market near the place where I live:

IMG_4877.jpgIMG_4878.jpg IMG_4880.jpg IMG_4883.jpg

What is that? Looks like an industrial controller or monitor. x86 based?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 44 of 62, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:
Kadath wrote:
Here's my smallest PC: do you recognize it? Had luck finding it during a periodical electronic market near the place where I liv […]
Show full quote

Here's my smallest PC: do you recognize it? Had luck finding it during a periodical electronic market near the place where I live:

IMG_4877.jpgIMG_4878.jpg IMG_4880.jpg IMG_4883.jpg

What is that? Looks like an industrial controller or monitor. x86 based?

Here you are another piece of the puzzle - as you can see, Panasonic branded. That 'brick' in the first pics is the 'entire' PC body - this one is its monitor, connected by wireless to it. All of this is thought to be used in 'heavy duties' situations.

IMG_4884.jpg IMG_4885.jpg

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 46 of 62, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

Neat! In-car entertainment for a Hummvee?

It might seem, but it's actually a small portable and ruggedized PC equipped with a low voltage mobile Pentium III, underclocked @300mhz, waterproof and with its wireless display that connects ad-hoc. Unfortunately I do not have the docking station, with its port replicator and ability to reconfigure it - fortunately it is still fully functional, and with a bit of research I was able to use the ruggedized portable display ad-hoc even with other PCs. Here are some specific:

Schermata_da_2017_01_06_17_49_04.png

Processor:
Intel® Mobile Pentium®III 300MHz Ultra-Low Voltage

Memory:
128MB SDRAM (standard), 256MB (max)

Hard Disk Drive:
5GB

Wireless LAN:
Wireless LAN 802.11b

Internal Slots & Interface:
Type III x 1 PC Card Slot, 1 x Digital Interface, 1 x Serial Dsub 9-pin, 1 x DC in jack

Dimensions (WxHxD):
7.87" x 3.61" x 2.05"

Weight:
2.11 lbs.

Power Supply:
Autosensing / Autoswitching AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz, DC 15.6V 3.85A

Battery:
Li-Ion 11.1V (5.4 Ah), 3 to 5 hours life

Included Software:
Win 2000 Pro -Installed with license.

LCD- TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS (CF-VDW07C)

LCD: 8.4" Type Non-glare Active Matrix (TFT) Color with FL Backlight, 800x600 Dot Pixels, 256 Colors

Indicators:
2 LED (Power, Battery)

Interface:
Serial: Dsub 9-pin; DC in: Jack

Pointing Device:
Touchscreen

Battery:
Li-Ion 1700 mA/7.4V

Dimensions:
8.74" x 6.38" x 0.49-1.16"

Weight:
1.57 lbs.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 47 of 62, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

saw this on ebay from a local seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361872574492

Its a small pc that fits in a power outlet.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 48 of 62, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Heh, nice. Never seen that form factor before - wonder what's in it. I love this claim in the ad "specs":

100% Virus / Trojan Immunity

81df12c63cb45f070471ae6e156aa83737141e75c8ee77bf938057e312b53495.jpg

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 50 of 62, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
M-HT wrote:

I guess it doesn't have x86 processor, but probably arm. So viruses/trojans using x86 instructions wouldn't work.

Possibly, but nothing can be 100% safe.

Reply 51 of 62, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:

xb93.80p-03-05?$re-medium$

I think this would be a challenge to hack.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 52 of 62, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one of these little puppies:
ceIA1rkgbamf6.jpg
15.jpg
(not my pics)

Fit-PC2, an Israeli mini-pc with Atom-Z-something processor, 2,5' SATA and like a gig of RAM. It's pretty neat, the case is a chunk of metal that acts as a passive heatsink, so no moving parts if fitted with an SSD.

I bought it for a good chunk of money when it was brand-spanking new, but ended up never using it for various reasons. It's just ben sitting in its box taunting me for my wasted money. Oh well.

Reply 53 of 62, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My HTPC built into an old DVD player case, based on an ibase MB899 (C2D, 1.67 GHz)

Attachments

• DSCF8884.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF8884.JPG
    File size
    230.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 54 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gdjacobs wrote:
http://s7.computerhistory.org/is/image/CHM/xb93.80p-03-05?$re-medium$ […]
Show full quote
yawetaG wrote:

xb93.80p-03-05?$re-medium$

I think this would be a challenge to hack.

That's pretty susceptible to the termite worm and fire viruses. 🤣

Reply 55 of 62, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The other day I tore down my dual 771 xeon setup. I dont normally consider micro-atx a "tiny pc", however considering it has dual 771 quad core xeons, i think it would qualify.

Even made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHOOxMq7Hxs *** WARNING Shameless self-promotion ***

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 59 of 62, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PC/104 industrial mainboard with Vortex86 166MHz CPU (Pentium-compatible, speed adjustable in BIOS), 2,5" HDD mounted underneath, 128MB RAM, FDD connector, USB, VGA, 4 COM ports, etc...
I made a ISA to PC/104 adapter, so standard cards can be plugged in. You can see the size compared to a compact disc.

vortex_1.jpg
Filename
vortex_1.jpg
File size
330.15 KiB
Views
File license
vortex_2isa.jpg
Filename
vortex_2isa.jpg
File size
272.32 KiB
Views
File license

And here is another build (more info in this topic Miniature SS7 K6-2 + Voodoo Banshee PC), K6-2+ with Voodoo Banshee, laptop-style CD drive, floppy drive, all in custom made miniature-tower case. Resembles typical tower, but it is 4 times smaller.
file.php?id=27455&t=1
file.php?id=27453&t=1

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg