VOGONS

First post, by Baratus][

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got a ATI Rage XL 8MB PCI card on eBay. I inserted it on the Packard Bell 812CD, and it didn't switch to PCI.
It only stayed in the Onboard 1MB Cirrus Logic Aipline GPU.

Any help on this. 😀

Reply 1 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think your able to disable the integrated Cirrus Logic on that board, tried to get a Nvidia Riva 128 to work on my friends similar Packard Bell 19 years ago. He ended up with a Voodoo 2 instead. 😜

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It appears the Cirrus Logic can be upgraded to 2MB.

There is a slim (Microscopic maybe) possibility that the bios has a hidden option to disable the card, if You dump it I could take a look.
I have unhidden options in a couple of bioses for my own motherboards.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 3 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On my Packard Bell Multimedia C110, if you plug a video card into a PCI slot it automatically disables the onboard Cirrus Logic.

I tried searching this page: http://www.oocities.org/sjg/geobook.html
for 812CD and got two hits, but neither mention replacing the graphics card.

Here's an overview video another Vogons member did of this model. Maybe he mentions something about this?
Overview of 1995 Packard Bell Legend 812CD!

Good luck!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:

There is a slim (Microscopic maybe) possibility that the bios has a hidden option to disable the card, if You dump it I could take a look.

One riskier move is to exclude the video bios from the main bios. Could brick the machine, tho, so better have back up plans.

Reply 5 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

On my Packard Bell Multimedia C110, if you plug a video card into a PCI slot it automatically disables the onboard Cirrus Logic.

I should correct myself slightly. If I plug in a PCI card and use it, when I run Speedsys, it detects *both* the CL and the PCI card. BUT, if I plug the monitor into the CL with the PCI card plugged in, I get the VGA BIOS beep code. With the PCI plugged in, only the PCI card works, but for some reason the CL is not disabled enough to stay hidden from Speedsys detection.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 9, by Baratus][

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote:

https://www.mediafire.com/?vlaz2avbeqcclsa
Cirrus Logic BIOS DUMP via pcjrcart.com

UPDATE!
The BIO Dumps via DEBUG.COM
https://www.mediafire.com/?q9b695nq5k0ienp

Reply 7 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you looked here to see what your motherboard is capable of?
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/pbidx.htm

What board does your system use anyway? The system model numbers often don't say much about the motherboard itself.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 9, by Baratus][

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

What board does your system use anyway? The system model numbers often don't say much about the motherboard itself.

Yes, I looked on the Packard Bell 570/580/590/620/630/650 and from my info it's a PB's OEM version of Intel Advanced/HL and I also googled to find a retail BIOS update from Intel but wasn't able to find one.

The board is a Hillary (PB-OEM) motherboard. updated to at least 1.0.07 BY0R. That's all i know.

EDIT :
There is this jumper block setting but idk if it will fix my PCI video card problem in BIOS
1 Reserved
2 ISA Speed
3 Password
4 CMOS
5 Setup
6 Frequency Multiplier
7 CPU Clock 1
8 CPU Clock 0

Reply 9 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baratus][ wrote:
Yes, I looked on the Packard Bell 570/580/590/620/630/650 and from my info it's a PB's OEM version of Intel Advanced/HL and I al […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Yes, I looked on the Packard Bell 570/580/590/620/630/650 and from my info it's a PB's OEM version of Intel Advanced/HL and I also googled to find a retail BIOS update from Intel but wasn't able to find one.

The board is a Hillary (PB-OEM) motherboard. updated to at least 1.0.07 BY0R. That's all i know.

EDIT :
There is this jumper block setting but idk if it will fix my PCI video card problem in BIOS
1 Reserved
2 ISA Speed
3 Password
4 CMOS
5 Setup
6 Frequency Multiplier
7 CPU Clock 1
8 CPU Clock 0

The website mentions that it should automatically detect if a dedicated graphics card is inserted and use that one. Have you any other graphics cards available to try? You could even try out some very old PCI graphics cards or perhaps even an ISA one just to see if the problem lies with your specific graphics card or if it's the motherboard.

Do you think it might be some BIOS setting that somehow is intervening?

I'd suggest trying out a couple other graphics cards just so you can narrow the problem down.

Is the riser card perfectly fine? Perhaps it's the PCI slot?

There should be some things you could still try, probably also things I haven't mentioned or for whatever reason haven't come to my mind yet.

Your graphics card works in other machines?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!