VOGONS

First post, by Melonking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got my hands on a Mad Catz gameboy link cable like the one here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00002AH2 … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In theory it simulates the gameboy printer allowing you to print to the pc via parallel. The connection appears to be successful, the pc receives a print connection in the mad catz software.

But the image arriving always consists of vertical lines like so.
tKWzUyk.png

Iv attempted contact cleaning the parallel port, but it seems to have no effect.

I have tested the gameboy with a real gb printer and its fine, so that end is not the issue.
My next step is to get my hands on a parallel printer so I can test if the pc port is the issue.

In the mean time if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, they would be very welcome, im a bit at a loss as to how to fix this one.

Reply 1 of 6, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WHAT THE SHIT! THIS EXISTS?

But seriously, your issue is likely: (in order)
1. software
2. hardware incompatibility
3. hardware malfunction

This looks like a windows 98 kind of device. Also, does the manual state what KIND of parallel port you should use? There are different modes and they are usually selectable in your bios.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 6, by Melonking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The manual calls for the printer port to be set to Auto or Bidirectional, my bios does not seem to have an option like this.

I have run the parallel port in 3BC/IRQ7 and 278/IRQ5, both have the same effect.
Iv run it in SPP mode, EPP/SPP mode, ECP/EPP mode (That one would not even talk with the gameboy so I didn't try ECP only)

My systems running windows 95, I don't have the chipset patch installed, im not sure if that would effect it. Having a bit of trouble finding the drivers.

EDIT, testing again with ECP/EPP, The port address thing got changed and I didn't notice!
EDIT 2: No effect 🙁
EDIT 3: Tested again on windows 98, no effect 🙁

Reply 4 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's been a while, but I once had a Gameboy module reader for parallel port.
I remember that I had to connect the reader to the port after the PC had booted.
Normally, this shouldn't be done with a LPT port (no hot-plugging). But this was a special case, I believe.
It had to do with certain LPT pins beeing in the wrong state during booting..
Please check your manual if it contains similar instructions.

Also make sure you disabled Plug 'n' Play or legacy printer detection for parallel port.
This could also interfere with your device.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello again, just found a tutorial at retrocollect.com that explains how to use that cable on 9x and XP.
(A forum member at chipmusic.org also has posted a much shorter howto.)

It seems an XP driver was never made. You can try the 2000 beta driver, though, if you wish.
>Download<

Also, I stumbled upon a solution how to stop XP from polling the parallel port.
I don'nt know if this of any use here, but you never know! 😉

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Parport\Parameters]
"DisableWarmPoll"=dword:00000001

Source: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader

You may also check out Jan's Parallel Port FAQ at http://janaxelson.com/jansfaq.htm.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//