VOGONS

First post, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't want to bump the 2-3 year old thread about overkill systems, but I ran into similar problems with H-L. I have a P3/128MB/Voodoo3 PCI and the frame rate seems to be all over the place. At quiet scenes it might be around 130-170 fps and in battle scenes with lots of explosions and enemies it might slow down to 30-35 fps and stutter. Any thoughts on this? The game is versio 1.0 and GPU drivers are official 3fx from Nov 2000, I also use DX6 and the resolution is 1024x768. Was this a common thing with official drivers? I remember playing H-L when it first came out with K6-2 and Voodoo 2 and it didn't seem this bad. I did install WickedGL to see if it makes a difference, but I haven't run into a major battle yet.

Reply 1 of 18, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course the FPS will slow down in intense scenes. That happened since the dawn of computing. Even today, an intense scene with lots of effects and geometry can slow a card down. It's normal.

Try to enable VSync, or if it really gets an issue, cap the FPS to 30 or 35 if you are that annoyed by it.

Personally I don't see screen tearing and stuttering as much, but some do.

Reply 3 of 18, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How fast is your Pentium III? The Voodoo3 should be plenty fast to hit above 60fps most of the time, but Half-Life can be remarkably heavy on the CPU. Pentium III 500 won't cut it for example and will often go into the 30s like in your case.

Reply 4 of 18, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sonofa...I took the wrong case! It's the PII that I was running, bastards used the same case for both Pentiums. Now I need to find where the P3 is lurking.... Thanks for asking, I never thought of checking the CPU as I was sure this was the correct one as it had V3 installed and the V2 was supposed to be in the PII which it cleary wasn't. 😵

Attachments

• 38982.jpg
    Filename
    38982.jpg
    File size
    203.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 18, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've played a fair amount of HL on my PII400 with a voodoo 4 4500 in glide and it does struggle a bit, CPU is definitely a limiting factor, even with a P3 you are likely to see FPS drops related to the CPU,

Reply 7 of 18, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tgod wrote:

Here's an old half-life tweak guide made for voodoo 2's in mind, it might help.
http://www.play-half-life.de/Main1.html

Excuse me to "steal" that thread, I just have a small question :
I've got an SLI of voodoo 2 on a pentium 2 400 (overclocked to 448MHz) and I tried these commands on half life but it didn't seem to change anything. In fact I don't know if those commands actually worked since when I type them, the game says "player : gl_texsort(0)" and does'nt say anything else" How do I use these commands ?

Please note that I'm using the 1.0 version (yep, retail version !)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 18, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You have the console enabled right? Simply typing gl_texsort in there will tell if if the command is valid since half life will reply with something like "gl_textsort is 1"
It also looked liked you typed the parenthesis, don't need those. Just "gl_texsort 1" to change the value. Not all the commands in that guide work depending on the version of the game you use, so just move to the next one then.

Reply 9 of 18, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

okay, the tutorial wasn't really clear on the syntax, like I said, I litteraly typed "gl_texsort1(0)"

Allright, so these settings were already set to the best options for voodoo 2s ...
Anyways that computer isn't finished, once I'll find the right motherboard, I will be able to overclock that CPU to 533 (at least, if it wants to co-operate ...). Sure I could use a pentium 3 made for that speed, but this is a special build ^^

Thank you very munch !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 10 of 18, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:

Sonofa...I took the wrong case! It's the PII that I was running, bastards used the same case for both Pentiums. Now I need to find where the P3 is lurking.... Thanks for asking, I never thought of checking the CPU as I was sure this was the correct one as it had V3 installed and the V2 was supposed to be in the PII which it cleary wasn't. 😵

This is why I've been badging all of my systems up. Check it out:

DSC00627.JPG
Filename
DSC00627.JPG
File size
4.47 MiB
Views
File comment
Extra case badges
File license

79hk4p.png

DSC00634.JPG
Filename
DSC00634.JPG
File size
3.96 MiB
Views
File comment
E-Machines, Windows 10 64-bit, Core 2 Duo E7300, 4GB DDR3-1066, 500GB HDD
File license

292dps.png (unable to validate after Pentium III CPU upgrade)

DSC00641.JPG
Filename
DSC00641.JPG
File size
4.05 MiB
Views
File comment
Windows 98 FE, Pentium-3 "Katmai" 600Mhz, 256MB 100MHz SDRAM, 40GB HDD, Viper V770 TNT2 32MB AGP, 2x Voodoo2 12MB SLI
File license

lhbar1.png

DSC00642.JPG
Filename
DSC00642.JPG
File size
4.19 MiB
Views
File comment
Windows 10 64-bit, Core i7-6700K "Skylake", 16GB DDR4-3200, 256GB SM950 m.2 SSD, 1TB 850 EVO SSD, 3TB HDD, GeForce GTX 980ti
File license

2jkvjm.png

DSC00644.JPG
Filename
DSC00644.JPG
File size
4.4 MiB
Views
File comment
Samsung Netbook, Windows 10 32-bit, Atom N450 "Pineview" 1.6GHz, 2GB DDR3-800, 256GB Crucial SSD
File license

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 11 of 18, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:

This is why I've been badging all of my systems up.

Yes, but the IBM already did it. Too bad they put the stickers in the lower right corner and I didn't bother to look that closely. I usually just use a piece of masking tape on top of the case for specs as I tend to swap out parts quite often. I did find my P3 tower, but it had XP installed so I didn't bother with it. Still, interesting to see it's such a demanding game.

Reply 12 of 18, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These old 3D games are often a lot more demanding than imagined / memory tricks us 😀

With Half-Life I think it's mostly the CPU that needs beefing up a bit.

If you have a Slot 1 machine, that's easy, so many options. With Super Socket 7 not so much. There is only so much even a K6-III can do.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13 of 18, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's Phil. Hey Phil, I got MS-DOS 7 working in Upper Memory (Windows 95 system). I've been watching some of your videos on YouTube. Good stuff there.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 14 of 18, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:

There's Phil. Hey Phil, I got MS-DOS 7 working in Upper Memory (Windows 95 system). I've been watching some of your videos on YouTube. Good stuff there.

Nice 😊

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 15 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With the V3 don't use the 3dfx Mini Driver that HL provides. 3dfx has a more mature ICD installed for the V3 and will work with the "default" setting.

Same advice applies to Quake2 and licensees. Don't use "3dfx OpenGL" for Voodoo3!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 18, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I tried that already, the WickedGL patch did seem to make a difference though. The reason I remember H-L running pretty well was that V2 only used 800x600 resolution so that probably helped too, even though in theory PII should be slightly faster than the K6-2 we had back then. Anyway, thanks for the input, I'm already at later stages of the game so it's all good.

Reply 17 of 18, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 Back on my Pentium II system, I ran ALL my games at 800 x 600 unless I was forced down to 640 x 480 (Final Fantasy 7/8, NES/SNES ROMs, etc).

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 18 of 18, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FFXIhealer wrote:
This is why I've been badging all of my systems up. Check it out: […]
Show full quote
sf78 wrote:

This is why I've been badging all of my systems up. Check it out:

DSC00627.JPG

79hk4p.png

DSC00634.JPG

292dps.png (unable to validate after Pentium III CPU upgrade)

DSC00641.JPG

lhbar1.png

DSC00642.JPG

2jkvjm.png

DSC00644.JPG

where can one find a Windows ME case badge, i can't find any