VOGONS

Reply 21 of 32, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Diagnose tells me it is 7 and in fact with 7 it works in any other game.
Nothing changes in ROTT if I use irq 5

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 22 of 32, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bristlehog wrote:

So, add DEVICE=C:\DRIVERS\CTCM.EXE to your config.sys file.

No. Just run CTCM from AUTOEXEC.BAT. It does not need to stay resident; no need to treat it like a device driver.

Looks like it's high time for me to install RoTT and see how it works with my AWE64...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 23 of 32, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, I finally did install RoTT (albeit version 1.2) and quickly hit the same issue reported by chinny22 on my AWE64 (MPU-401 initialization error, and unable to select AWE32 for music).

Edit: scratch what I wrote before. It's actually a bit different.

As jesolo found earlier, the sound setup utility may get the AWE into a bad state if you select the wrong port. Rebooting or at least re-initializing the card may be required here.

The key point here is that when selecting the AWE32 port, you must not select the MIDI port (0x330), but the base port (0x220). This is confusing, because the utility suggests 0x330 to you by default.

Also, in some cases, the setup utility will completely fail to initialize the card (this is also documented in the FAQ). In this case you need to manually edit SOUND.ROT as follows:

• Find the line that says MusicMode <something> and change it to MusicMode 5.
  • Find the SB config section (which will start with ; Sound Blaster Settings) and change the SBEmu line to match your SBPort line. It should now look something like this:
    ; Sound Blaster Settings
    SBType 6
    SBPort $220
    SBIrq 5
    SBDma8 1
    SBDma16 5
    SBMidi $330
    SBEmu $220

After this (assuming all values are correct), the game should detect your AWE and play music. If you will get corrupted music, as Elia1995 reported, just run AWEUTIL /S before starting the game.

I guess sometimes there is truth to the statement 'if all else fails, read the documentation' 😉

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 24 of 32, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally got a chance to get the PC in my original post up and running again after seeing this thread come alive.
Selecting port 220 just hung the setup program.
BUT...
Manually modifying SOUND.ROT worked first time!!!!

and just in time to hear the Christmas tunes, Thanks dr_st 😀

Edit
Also just tried the same thing on a SE440BX-3 system with a SB32, much the same.
Seems ROTT cards just don't like AWE sound cards

Reply 25 of 32, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My awe32 plays some notes wrongly on ROTT now, why ?

Most important ones:

Reply 27 of 32, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does play, but some notes sound bad on my AWE32... for example the cymbals sound only half of them.

Most important ones:

Reply 29 of 32, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually the cymbals on my AWE32 card sound correctly on any other game, just on ROTT they sound cropped and the distortion guitar has some fucked up notes which didn't have when I used this same AWE32 card this summer on rott as well.

It's like it lags or something

Most important ones:

Reply 30 of 32, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I'm sorry I was making jokes and not really trying to help you. That is because ROTT is just my favorite video game music so I couldnt resiste talking to you. In the hope you forgive me I'll try ROTT on my ppro computer msdos6.22 with an awe32, note that my card output only emu8k and "opl" thru the digital output jumper. hum... strange ... the sndsetup from rott insisted that I have a soundblaster for sound before I can set the awe32 for music...

could not work !! initilisation failed ... maybe I need to have some memory manager or soundcard initialisation ... lets try that later one. ran aweutil /s ... lets visit sndsetup.exe agin : computer crashed ... this time I'll try with jemmex xms and aweutil /s ... I really want to listen to that music right now ! ... commong computer : BOOT !

note to self : 220 7 1

not even working ... damn I'm starting to skip a game of borderland 2 with a friend of mine ... I'll get back to you! your call is important to us

Reply 31 of 32, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it work if you edit the SOUND.ROT file manually as per dr_st 's post above ElBrunzy? I gave up on the setup program and AWE's
AWE64 not working in Rise of the Triad

l'm not sure how to help you though Elia1995 🙁 If you just try setting your music device up as Midi or SoundBlaster, so we know if its limited to the EMU chip or if its the card as a whole in the game.

Reply 32 of 32, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dunno how to explain, it sounds like it "lags" or something... playing broken notes

Most important ones: