VOGONS

Windows 95 USB PCI Card?

Topic actions

First post, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys

I have a VIA VT6212L USB controller in my Pentium 3 (running WIndows 98se) which works brilliantly. I'm putting together a Windows 95 machine and wondering if anyone has experience finding a PCI card that has drivers for Windows 95?

It has a LAN card, so I can transfer files easily enough, but it'd be handy and I have a spare PCI slot so why not? The trouble is finding one. I'm sure they must exist?

Reply 1 of 21, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

USB PCI card did exists,
i remember using them for old Pentium MMX computers that did not have built-in USB ports.
They're somewhat like this: https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-VIA-Adapter-M … 3/dp/B004B0H5WG

-fffuuu

Reply 2 of 21, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the OP' was asking if there is a USB 2.0 PCI card that has driver for Windows 95. To my best knowledge the answer is no. The support for USB starts from OSR2 and the support for USB 2.0 starts from 98SE.

Reply 3 of 21, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any usb 2.0 card you pick up will work on windows 95 it will only work in usb 1.1 mode. Check it out here: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172402-xusbsu … indows-95-osr2/

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 5 of 21, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not to mention that the lack of class drivers means it's not just mice you can't plug in and start using, but keyboards and USB flash drives all require specific drivers to be manually installed before they will work.

Last time I tried this I couldn't find a generic class driver for USB storage that could be force-installed for any old flash drive, so it made the USB ports kind of useless.

Reply 6 of 21, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All you need to do is install that usb driver, it works with every flash drive I plug into it, 8GB, 16, 32, 64 and it works with my 1TB hard drive. Its just plug and play except for mouse and keyboards.

Reply 8 of 21, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Oldskoolmaniac: Really? Can you supply a copy of that driver? I was never able to find one that could talk the generic storage class protocol.

@luckybob: I think you're on the wrong forum with that attitude, hassle is what gives you the sense of achievement 😜

Reply 9 of 21, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually have USB 2.0 working great in Win98, and it was no trouble at all. I have a VIA VT6212L PCI controller, with my ASUS P3B-F and it works fantastic.

I've got LAN filesharing enabled on my Win95 box so I've decided to use my 1 spare PCI slot for a Voodoo 2 instead, sounds like USB wouldn't really be worth it and all I really wanted was easy filesharing

Reply 12 of 21, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dondiego wrote:

I've got a driver called w95usbflash11.zip which works on win95c if i remember right.

This works well but make sure you install usbsupp.exe first

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 14 of 21, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malvineous wrote:

@Oldskoolmaniac: Really? Can you supply a copy of that driver? I was never able to find one that could talk the generic storage class protocol.

@luckybob: I think you're on the wrong forum with that attitude, hassle is what gives you the sense of achievement 😜

The download is in that link that I posted above, just install that and after it prompts you to restart, restart and just about everything is plug n' play

Reply 15 of 21, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed xusbsupp to Windows 95B today. Works with 1GB USB flash drive after reboot and some generic Opti USB 1.1 PCI card. Very nice 😀

It seems the above link doesn't work any more. I used this one:

http://lonecrusader.x10host.com/xusbsupp.html

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 16 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have had success with USB in Win 95c and NT4, however, it was more just to see if it works. I ultimately had no use for it. It is far more convenient to transfer data via ethernet and to use PS/2 mice. What do you guys need USB for on these systems?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 17 of 21, by kolmio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2018-07-21, 21:26:

What do you guys need USB for on these systems?

I believe it may allow to use modern mouse. I'm however not sure about possible CPU consumption.

Windows 95 | Chaintech 486SPM M102.A | AMD-X5-133ADW or Am486DX4-100 | 48MB SIMM FPM | ATI Rage 3D II+DVD | CT4100 | 8GB CF

Windows 98 | Acorp 6BX86 | Pentium II 450 | Matrox Millennium G450 | SoundForte SF16-FMI-03 | 32 GB MicroSD

Reply 18 of 21, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a question: what is the best and stable support for unofficial USB drivers? I see many on the internet, but in your opinion, which one is the most stable, compatible, best to install on Windows 95 with support for the safe removal of removable disks?