VOGONS

DaemonTools No CD Audio

Topic actions

First post, by Vicxar27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello anyone reading this.

I've recently installed Daemon Tools 3.4.7 to simulate CDs (MY Half Life disc is scratched to hell and I'm not sure it will hold up anymore)
and have tried to play games with CD Audio, like Half Life and Quake, for example. Music works fine in CD player, but doesn't work in-game.
I have a hardware CD-ROM drive, and music comes out fine through it.

I suspected that the hardware CD-ROM was considered "First, and after trying out, it did play music, but only when the CD-ROM drive was first in letter arrangement compared to Daemon Tools. But changing the letters so that the virtual drive pops up first doesn't solve my problem.

If it helps, I have a CD-ROM cable connecting the CD-ROM drive to the soundcard

*Edit*: I have Windows 98SE, and installed drivers and some games, but not much else

Last edited by Vicxar27 on 2017-01-29, 17:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 22, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

98SE, I presume? If installing WDM drivers for your sound card is an option, that would allow you to enable digital audio extraction without analog cables or any kind of analog emulation by Daemon Tools.

If it's a game specific problem, make sure you're using the lowest optical drive letter and that it matches the game installation source drive.

Last edited by firage on 2017-01-29, 07:19. Edited 1 time in total.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 22, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
firage wrote:

98SE, I presume? If installing WDM drivers for your sound card is an option, that would allow you to enable digital audio extraction without analog cables or any kind of analog emulation by Daemon Tools. If it's a game specfic problem, make sure you're using the lowest optical drive letter and that it matches the game installation source drive.

That should do the trick!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 22, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got Carmageddon that is badly scratched too. While running it with daemon tools, music doesn't work. However if I put the CD in the drive and start the game with the image loaded in daemon tools, the game will load music from the CD. I discovered that if you happen to have two cd drives with only one wired to the sound card, then if you put another game in the CD drive that have analog audio wired up and the wanted game in the other drive, it will read the game's data from the correct drive, however the music will be read from the other CD drive 🤣

And also another odd fact : on my computers my sound card doesn't use WDM drivers, and on most games I don't have music. But here's the thing : when I run RE-Volt, the music plays ! Why ? I have absolutely no idea ! Maybe because mine is in some sort of nero's format, but I've never tried that

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 22, by Vicxar27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now that I think about it, I installed the VxD drivers because the WDM drivers from the Windows 98SE CD didn't work with Doom's music and only produced sound effects. I can try to find a more recent version of the WDM driver

Reply 10 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

I've got Carmageddon that is badly scratched too. While running it with daemon tools, music doesn't work. However if I put the CD in the drive and start the game with the image loaded in daemon tools, the game will load music from the CD. I discovered that if you happen to have two cd drives with only one wired to the sound card, then if you put another game in the CD drive that have analog audio wired up and the wanted game in the other drive, it will read the game's data from the correct drive, however the music will be read from the other CD drive 🤣

As has been noted: the game may be looking for audio CD tracks in the lowest optical drive letter. If you have the disc in drive D, for example, but your Daemon Tools drive is E, then it may only look for the audio tracks in drive D. The game originates from a time when it was not expected that people would have multiple optical drives.

You might be able to edit the executable to fix the detection routine (sort of like in http://punkrockhacker.blogspot.ca/2014_06_01_archive.html ). Or you can just change your drive letters so your Daemon Tools drive is D and your real optical drive is E.

Reply 12 of 22, by Vicxar27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying an experiment. I'm installing a Sb Live 5.2 into Windows 98, and linking to the ISA SB that I have. The SB Live will have WDM drivers and the ISA card will have VxD drivers. I want to see how bad I can mess up my system. 😀

Reply 13 of 22, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I could be wrong, but I remember from my early days of Visual Basic programming
that some applications did use MCI commands to control the CD drive (which often was the first and only one).
When this happened, the audio was played by the drive itself (thus an audio cable was required).
No idea, if there do exist some wrappers now to "fix" that or if some CD emulators can handle that.
The last time I heard of MCI was when it already was considered deprecated.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 22, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is using a WDM-Driver the only way? That means no Win95?
I have tested it and the mounted audio-cd with deamon-tools 3.47 plays fine under win95, but only if I switch back to the windows-desktop while running the game,
going back to the game, cd-audio is instantly muted. could that not be fixed by hacking a mixer-setting?
I checked everything, but I can't find a way to de-mute the playing cd-audio.

If there is no chance for that, I have to check out what this can do for me, but I expect nothing, because there are not really much games supported,
mostly the are unkown to me... I would love to play POD, OUTCAST, etc. with CD-Audio from a mounted ISO other my NAS within Win95b.

https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/compatibili … m-dll-tutorial/

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 16 of 22, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dis some further tests. Here is what I found out:

- CD-Audio does work on some Games with Win95 and Deamon-Tools 3.47.
- I need to change the "CD-Audio-Drive" to the driveletter of the deamon-tools-drive.

Working Games with this method:
- DariusGaiden
- Raiden2

Not working:
- Pod
- Outlaws

I would love to have POD working, but it seems to be within the game. If I choose a cd-audio-working-game I can hear the POD music 🙁

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 17 of 22, by Lady Eklipse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ended up just burning CD-Rs with games which have CD-Audio and don't play them from within Daemon Tools. Most of them are DOS games, but also Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire and, surprisingly, Half-Life.

Reply 18 of 22, by guest_2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Soundblaster 16 (CT2230) and I too have been looking at getting game CD audio working through Daemon tools 3.47 to play some retro games.

To get this to work correctly is proving difficult. You need the Daemon tools virtual drive assigned with D: drive letter to start. You can then mount an image (e.g. CUE) and opening CD player plays the game track corretly. In games the CD audio also works, however it causes game stuttering quite badly. Turning off the CD audio, the stuttering stops.

I am using VXD audio drivers with the SB 16, WDM would stop FM working so not really an option. I have tried having the game image mounted on a USB2 stick and this morning on my second HDD. Whereever the image is mounted the stuttering happens so its nothing like USB speed.

The drivers i'm using with the SB 16 are 'sbw9xup.exe' found here - https://www.philscomputerlab.com/creative-labs-drivers.html
"Latest driver updates for Windows 95 and 98. It is highly recommended to install these"

Analogue audio option is selected on Daemon tools. In Multimedia, I have CD Music set to D: (the Daemon tools virutal drive)

My SB 16 has the CD audio cable wired to my CD drive (E:) when I use the CD there is no stuttering. Also, some games seem to work fine with no stuttering from a mounted image (Aliens vs Predator for example)

Reply 19 of 22, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
guest_2 wrote on 2021-03-28, 15:15:
I have a Soundblaster 16 (CT2230) and I too have been looking at getting game CD audio working through Daemon tools 3.47 to play […]
Show full quote

I have a Soundblaster 16 (CT2230) and I too have been looking at getting game CD audio working through Daemon tools 3.47 to play some retro games.

To get this to work correctly is proving difficult. You need the Daemon tools virtual drive assigned with D: drive letter to start. You can then mount an image (e.g. CUE) and opening CD player plays the game track corretly. In games the CD audio also works, however it causes game stuttering quite badly. Turning off the CD audio, the stuttering stops.

I am using VXD audio drivers with the SB 16, WDM would stop FM working so not really an option. I have tried having the game image mounted on a USB2 stick and this morning on my second HDD. Whereever the image is mounted the stuttering happens so its nothing like USB speed.

The drivers i'm using with the SB 16 are 'sbw9xup.exe' found here - https://www.philscomputerlab.com/creative-labs-drivers.html
"Latest driver updates for Windows 95 and 98. It is highly recommended to install these"

Analogue audio option is selected on Daemon tools. In Multimedia, I have CD Music set to D: (the Daemon tools virutal drive)

My SB 16 has the CD audio cable wired to my CD drive (E:) when I use the CD there is no stuttering. Also, some games seem to work fine with no stuttering from a mounted image (Aliens vs Predator for example)

I am having exactly the same stuttering issue, but in my case it is using a SB Live. Could you confirm your rig setup and the games in which you are facing the stuttering?

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP