VOGONS

First post, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is this a good sound card for general DOS/Win95 gaming or should I just stick with a SB ?

Reply 2 of 6, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, I personally use one in my 486. Totally soundblaster compatible, WSS compatible, real OPL3, excellent sound quality once the software is configured correctly, and the Wavetable connector and external MIDI interface both work perfectly.

I fooled around with various Sound Blasters for a long time, none of them are as good as the Yamaha YMF cards.

The only issue is that I couldn't fir my XR385 on the YMF719 because of the smaller size of the card but I just made up a ribbon cable to get around that issue.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also use a card with Yamaha chipset. It looks like a turd, but it works really well. While not an avid gamer, I have yet to find an application that it won't work perfectly with. I also have it hooked up to my stereo amplifier, and the audio is crystal clear with no humm.

I'm still waiting for somebody to come out of the woodwork and tell me all the reasons why I shouldn't be using this card, but all the gurus seem to like them.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why are you necroposting? This is five year old thread that is also in the wrong forum.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers