VOGONS

First post, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, got this Aztech ASC338A sound card. While there is a wavetable header that seems to be connected on the PCB, it's not populated with pins. Before soldering in a pin header, I just wanna ask if anyone happens to know if the wavetable header is disabled on firmware level, or something like that? I just can't see why they would leave the connector out, I mean, a pinheader can't cost even a penny when buying in bulk, and leaving it out means one less feature to advertise. There's just no logic to it, even when knowing that corporate logic isn't always all that logical 😁

It also struck me that this card visually is more or less identical to a TB Montego. Do you think that the drivers might be interchangeable?

Also, while I'm at it, is there any reference driver from Aureal for Vortex 2 based cards, and would it be possible for a game running in pure DOS to hook a wavetable daughtercard hosted on this card in some way?

Edit: might also add that this is my first and only Vortex 2 card. Got no experience whatsoever of those, so I hope you'll bear with my possibly noobish questions 😀

DSC_0762.JPG
Filename
DSC_0762.JPG
File size
305.16 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSC_0761.JPG
Filename
DSC_0761.JPG
File size
325.66 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a Vortex (1) card, AU8820. I guess the connector that partly blocks the area for the wavetable connector are an audio input connector that uses the same pins on the AU8820 as the wavetable connector. Just desolder it and solder a wavetable connector instead.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 2, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

It's a Vortex (1) card, AU8820. I guess the connector that partly blocks the area for the wavetable connector are an audio input connector that uses the same pins on the AU8820 as the wavetable connector. Just desolder it and solder a wavetable connector instead.

Ah, okay, as mentioned I know next to nothing about those Vortex chipsets, no wonder I got it wrong 😀

That's an explanation. Well, doesn't hurt to try, if I'm gonna use the card at all, now that I know it's a Vortex 1 😀