VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 101 of 146, by K.A.R.R.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi

installing the drivers can cause some problems because no real gus is found or an real autoexec.bat is missing.

i suggest to simply use pre installed drivers
like this one

http://www80.zippyshare.com/v/c6N015fi/file.html

this pack contains GUS 4.11 drivers + Pro Patches Light 1.61 + Pro Patches Lite 1.61 corrected anti looping patches (includes 3 ppl 1.61 patches found by Tsyu removing a looping bug)

for those who want to know: its the pack from Huggybaby just with ppl 1.61 anti loop fix from Tsyu and with modified ultrasnd.ini file
(i changed patch folders in ultrasnd.ini from e:\ultrasnd\midi to c:\ultrasnd\midi because Eero Räsänen the creator of ppl made this small mistake in his 1.61 ultrasnd.ini file)

the driver was installed to c:\ultrasnd
so i suggest mounting it to that folder (because all gus ini files are set to c:\ultrasnd)

and important tip !
if u want to use gus emulation in dosbox
use an actual svn version from emucr and NOT 0.74 !
with dosbox 0.74 gus will have only mono sound for sfx and music !
(fixed with svn versions)

Reply 102 of 146, by K.A.R.R.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i created a guide on how to install the gus drivers under windows 3.11

Guide: How to install Gravis Ultrasound Drivers in Windows 3.11

hope it will help when you try it.

Reply 103 of 146, by TV5Fun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Following the instructions here to install GUS 4.11 drivers with Megaem and PPL 1.61. Not getting any sound. When I run mididemo.bat, I get an error "Error on patch info call for snare1: DOS Error" that is for the first MIDI file, every file after that gives a similar error with a different instrument name. This is the contents of the audio section of my DOSBox config:

[mixer]
# nosound: Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.
# rate: Mixer sample rate, setting any device's rate higher than this will probably lower their sound quality.
# Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.
# blocksize: Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering but sound will also be more lagged.
# Possible values: 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 512, 256.
# prebuffer: How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.

nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=20

[midi]
# mpu401: Type of MPU-401 to emulate.
# Possible values: intelligent, uart, none.
# mididevice: Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
# Possible values: default, win32, alsa, oss, coreaudio, coremidi, none.
# midiconfig: Special configuration options for the device driver. This is usually the id of the device you want to use.
# See the README/Manual for more details.

mpu401=none
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

[sblaster]
# sbtype: Type of Soundblaster to emulate. gb is Gameblaster.
# Possible values: sb1, sb2, sbpro1, sbpro2, sb16, gb, none.
# sbbase: The IO address of the soundblaster.
# Possible values: 220, 240, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.
# irq: The IRQ number of the soundblaster.
# Possible values: 7, 5, 3, 9, 10, 11, 12.
# dma: The DMA number of the soundblaster.
# Possible values: 1, 5, 0, 3, 6, 7.
# hdma: The High DMA number of the soundblaster.
# Possible values: 1, 5, 0, 3, 6, 7.
# sbmixer: Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the DOSBox mixer.
# oplmode: Type of OPL emulation. On 'auto' the mode is determined by sblaster type. All OPL modes are Adlib-compatible, except for 'cms'.
# Possible values: auto, cms, opl2, dualopl2, opl3, none.
# oplemu: Provider for the OPL emulation. compat might provide better quality (see oplrate as well).
# Possible values: default, compat, fast.
# oplrate: Sample rate of OPL music emulation. Use 49716 for highest quality (set the mixer rate accordingly).
# Possible values: 44100, 49716, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000.

sbtype=none
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=49716

[gus]
# gus: Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.
# gusrate: Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.
# gusbase: The IO base address of the Gravis Ultrasound.
# Possible values: 240, 220, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.
Show last 32 lines
#   gusirq: The IRQ number of the Gravis Ultrasound.
# Possible values: 5, 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12.
# gusdma: The DMA channel of the Gravis Ultrasound.
# Possible values: 3, 0, 1, 5, 6, 7.
# ultradir: Path to Ultrasound directory. In this directory
# there should be a MIDI directory that contains
# the patch files for GUS playback. Patch sets used
# with Timidity should work fine.

gus=true
gusrate=44100
gusbase=220
gusirq=5
gusdma=1
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
# pcspeaker: Enable PC-Speaker emulation.
# pcrate: Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.
# tandy: Enable Tandy Sound System emulation. For 'auto', emulation is present only if machine is set to 'tandy'.
# Possible values: auto, on, off.
# tandyrate: Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.
# disney: Enable Disney Sound Source emulation. (Covox Voice Master and Speech Thing compatible).

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=49716
tandy=auto
tandyrate=44100
disney=true

Tried this on two separate machines and got the same issue. Running DOSBox 0.74. Anyone know what would cause this?

Reply 104 of 146, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe you setup the ultradir parameter wrong. Quoting the DOSBox wiki:

Of particular note is the ultradir option, which must be set to the path to the patch files inside DOSBox. (Which is likely not the same as the path on your real hard drive.)

Also try changing the gusbase parameter to 240 cause that is the default setting.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 105 of 146, by 3371-Alpha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry of kicking up an old topic but the download to the preinstalled patches in the OP's post was removed for "violation of terms of service" or some BS. Reupload anyone?
Also, Which of the patch files for the driver are really necessary? I ask because I found "slim" versions of the patch sets "with all unnecessary utilities removed" here and here.

Reply 107 of 146, by TV5Fun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
olddos25 wrote:

Of particular note is the ultradir option, which must be set to the path to the patch files inside DOSBox. (Which is likely not the same as the path on your real hard drive.)

Also try changing the gusbase parameter to 240 cause that is the default setting.

No ultradir was set to the path within DOSBox. Also tried a setting of 240. I changed it to 220 to see if that would work any better, but it didn't.

Reply 108 of 146, by 3371-Alpha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@TV5Fun Wait, are you having issues installing or playing? Because I remember reading earlier in this thread that installing 4.11 is rather glitchy in DOSBox (never tried it myself so don't quote me on this). The solution was to install the 3.x version then update it to 4.11

Also, what do gravis gm drum kits do? I read about them in PPL's manual/readme.

Reply 109 of 146, by 3371-Alpha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some good news, I found a mirror of the now broken preinstalled drivers. Two of them actually, here and here. I'm still curious what utilities are truly necessary for gravis support and would like to see if the installed could be slimmed a little (the previous two "slim" copies I posted I believe are only optimized for Doom and Duke).

Also I found several archive sites for gravis software, I'll post them if you'd like.

Reply 110 of 146, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The mirrors are unnecesary because James F's link still works.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:

Reply 111 of 146, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a note for people installing this using vanilla dosbox 0.74, I only got the installer to work by disabling soundblaster emulation first. After following the guide, I was able to re-enable it and the GUS emulation worked fine.

Reply 112 of 146, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TV5Fun wrote:
olddos25 wrote:

No ultradir was set to the path within DOSBox. Also tried a setting of 240. I changed it to 220 to see if that would work any better, but it didn't.

What i am refering to is that let's say you have a folder in your C: drive called games and inside that folder there you have the ultrasnd folder and you mount your games folder as your C drive in DOSBox. So, the right ultradir parameter would be "C:\ultrasnd". Try using a gusbase parameter that does not conflict with other soundcards, or disable the conflicting cards completely.

Other places to find me:

Reply 113 of 146, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, for other users:
if you get this error:
This is usually caused by a base port conflict.
You should exit Install, remove the UltraSound Card and
Run CONSCAN.EXE on the first installation Disk."

check if sbtype is als "none" and oplmode as "auto" set is. Otherwise you will get error

Reply 115 of 146, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No they can't. I think only the admins can do that.

Other places to find me:

Reply 116 of 146, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My experiences with GUS are recently still little, but i experienced a couple of things and also and again AndyJ (FFED3DAJ) helped me with that.

gus=true
gusrate=44100
gusbase=220
gusirq=5
gusdma=1

In general this should be fine but i came across a game, no wonder Frontier First Encounters, where i stuck with that and had no sound even if FFE has native support for GUS.

Apart from that he hinted me to use DOSBox-X (which i won't here) he gave me the proper tip to run FFE with Gravis Ultrasound (the result isn't convincing for this game btw but this differs Settlers and Lords of the Realm which i previousely ran are quite enhanced).

Changes to the default settings for SB and GUS (for FFE, if that helps in other cases i can't tell by now) :

[sblaster]
sbtype= sb16
sbbase= 220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer= false
oplmode= auto
oplemu= compat
oplrate= 22050

[gus]
gus=true
gusrate=44100
gusbase=220
gusirq=11
gusdma=1

If you setup the soundcard to "Gravis Ultrasound" for the game the setup program will still argue that GUS can't be initialized for MIDI (digitized sfx works) but as soon as the patch is loaded the game will accept the setting. Music works also with "GUS Max" SFX not. Sampling freq. of SB is a personal choice enter here whatever you prefere.

Take care that ULTRASND.INI contains the proper path to your GUS\MIDI directory, this should be the case when you set C:\ULTRASND as location in DOSBox but just as a reminder (i use different directories because i liked to compare the 411 and pp161, thus in my case it's i.e. C:\ULTRA161\MIDI\ in ULTRASND.INI).

You got still problems finding the preinstalled and prepatched version?
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhX1Ed1178sOjAf1ALSpzo2Jvpmm
It should be no problem the source is also available so it can't be under copyright protection still.
A quite comprehensive site is this:
http://www.gravisultrasound.com/index.htm
Win 95 and rather hardware related:
http://dk.toastednet.org/GUS/gravis.html
more files (rather for completeness then of use):
http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/SOUND/GRAVIS/UPD/
And of course the internet archive

I received more results when i searched for "GUS patches" as when i searched for "Gravis Ultrasound".

Like i said for this game it's not worth the effort one could say, the SFX sound cool but the music is deranged, title music sounds well but right the next track when the game starts is tard, the whole thing is wrong and the string ensemble is to loud and seems not to stop, some tracks sound ok but i guess each time the string ensemble is used it sounds tard. Probably the patch for FFE must be revisited.
But i have similar problems especially with "A Night On The Bare Mountain" when i use a recent else very well sounding soundfont.

I guess i will post here the possible settings for each game i run with GUS, native support or what i can get else out of it.
Personally i like the Ultrasound much sure a recent wavetable synth soundfont will sound as good as or even better but not like 1994.
And overall GUS still beats the MSWS.

A couple of games i run with GUS
- Frontier First Encounters (native, but was a bit a problem child)
- Albion (native, DOSBox default settings)
- Settlers (native, DOSBox default settings)
- Lords of the Realm (Ultramid, works fine and offers to have MIDI music and SFX, sounds very well with GUS, but the music still stresses in the game because it has different very repetive short tracks for each tab, would be far better with continous music)
- Buzz Aldrins Race Into Space (Ultramid, works fine sounds anyway good very decent made music, different music for USA or USSR)

I gus erm guess that's all so far.

Settlers2, haven't found a working configuration yet it has native support but i must have done something wrong here.

maintainer of "Phoenix" (Pioneer Space Sim derivate)
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/phoenix … erivate.506984/

Reply 117 of 146, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With (moving) pictures 😉

kQrhaXWn6bZON_LLTIC7pzXDMa7fr6vS2f41oc0t4YDeP858kx2WUVlfZTpI2-ByznXSIHV-QkyuGFmItR7GFjKCVN0htYebTVzib7Fh1iWGc3JErq6iKdFoZGlyQ4q3kApBTF44b73TUZExkraNK8p7cL3d-kWiMJK96uuzgcGSLTwREbyfscC1DC1-P4QJ8JZ3G1nbkU2iMH6SD4EsY71M3F9z-YwySXxNUkDaSsKgOKdf-QpLjj9oGVHb_gzg0nAPLsvJSEX0l-yLBxK0TABY5EsAg-DS_kKBCLUn_iyMAR4qazAnGlp6VHnWqAnXIeFY_DQVR5aY6NWigz8LAc6LilxPDdybwikIWzbuEZx9n-CyCMpRBSEgrRbwCgIeBfrVb4xpCDF-dhaQ8F-zXfsqF7j2_NHFuo9u_JInL3YLgnFi0xWG__6s90ADS4ggYtjT6QEvGjv8nScFIwgBH_rvxjHA3jB3qI872HeUndYuf8DP4CN5WjqB4kQJenaRrwygyK4RDcjPHFR5MH57CHSfro-eU6etf5SyYXUDJte_l2rmyRLwJmr7MPKS0FUaN2j3o3mlkvpD-YeHLzB63SazsjbNR_GsufJDfbj4e6Z7uQ2hjDYEvOK2gn1dqabl7dWw8vkQy46HRxNVv4lIlAl2sBJP9QY=s483-no
Press - O - Play

Comparison clip for: MS Wavetable Synth., GUS and "Fatboy" soundfont. Tiltle Music plus

there isn't much to say to Settlers and GUS support.
DOSBox config default settings for SB and GUS work fine.
Of course invoke LOADPATS before SIED

A little offtopic:
The game stucks in later missions, this is the case if i play it emulated on the Amiga or in DOSBox, now i wonder does anybody has experiences with that?
For sure i played it decades ago on my Amiga(s) (it was THE game for the Amiga) but either i never went this far or it wasn't this way.

Reply 118 of 146, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lords of the Realm
One can think about this game whatever he likes, i do play it from time to time but i have to admit it's pure nostalgia.
Also this game i played a lot on my Amiga(s) which i also legally owned it for.
The game is "solala", It's overall to long in gameplay already for a single player if you play it with a friend or two it can last "forever" until one wins the game.
But it has it's charm.

SB and GUS DOSBox default configuration
Needs ULTRAMID to play MIDI via GUS
GUS' ULTRAMID TSR will allow to have MIDI music and digital SFX at once.

File replacements:
ULTRASND\ULTRAMID\GF1MIDI.ADV replaces LORDS\SBP2FM.ADV
ULTRASND\ULTRAMID\GF1DIGI.ADV replaces LORDS\SBPDIG.ADV

invoke ULTRASND\ULTRAMID before LORDS

I've read that you can (should) take the "MT32" miles soundrivers and replace them with GF1MIDI but this didn't worked for me (yet).

A clip will follow if that is liked at all, i have to make a new one since i missed in my first the GUS and my second one i made while i stayed in web and it turned out bad.

Personal opinion:
You will find "Lords Royal Collection" in the internet archive, personally i can't recommend it. Lords itself as Windows app is exactly the same only that it will be in a 3:4 aspect which i dislike, Lords2 i don't like because i feel it's "confused" to small graphics and i assume it's pretty much the same else. I feel Sierra liked to counter Settlers but it didn't worked out well it's still a turn based strategy and leaks completely of the charm of Settlers.
Also i dislike in Lords2 that you play on fantasy maps, i like the historical relation of Lords even when the game is a little lame this encourages at least your fantasy you can play a sort of story even if that is only in your mind.

For a little while you will be spared of little me, at home i have no web access (poor me).

Reply 119 of 146, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

YC2CONTv8JFj9mpUUr_9s0lqihLzVZJmftMTXQcpn9OkFVxoTBHkYxdniH4n03m7WJyhZJ6F1ixSUxlUfU-u2ZPoZME-V2Kf4owjLybZGJPc0gDy8mLGS763kVGq4Szn88az7XXVvK7lGyPL-_TcWjAkhSj3tstYdqPgInQtPfjORIo0zl4ZTY6wOT8xi8g1XT44T40JpxgTMZS0L-_jVhaAOiRDkKSIplGePyrkguS3aR84elJIypzkkn7yxorSRSfDhix7XuyL7lnnPTMN90FtUqS-kSH612QESwJOw-c6xhAyj0cUEG162cMNtAiQNawFZ3ET0DWCm0nSt8uPjrY5kWcir2r9W4I31swCrezhTPPuV1fjVKlH0UHqCJwtShuLc6XE-t2gBnIUzXndcxxjgCJ0fniFRIcyCXTeyBY6jdRYiwSm16hABIpgBqKG1VTze1aIBV03ZMwCnAOBB5FYeZgPAie7lpsEmpgfV7mO0YOt8ET0GB00McCRfialb-4OXXBzD0ULFlQVVe5MwoCX2qLn7d-78ww4PkQb3eE8Vqy4Cm15PLnRvzl_bF_Sv5qVzYhA8qykVlzbPtIURkia_SpANH-mzlMYlQCtHmvyw5xJONKODPVA0E4Rh5eNKTcNxz8gwrs6CdpKjhIbyyBPbiaXBM4=w245-h200-no
Press - O - Play

Of course one can replace almost any driver with the GUS midi drivers (as i found out now) but i.e. if i choose for this game the MT32MPU driver i will lose the soundeffects equal as they are used else. If you take the SB2PFM it's just not that good the sound is the same but it stutters when the music changes (pretty the same as for SBFM). Anyway like i said it's not very good to play with music because the tracks change for every tab and map, it would be far better less tracks but therefore continous.

I guess it would make sense to open a own thread for this