VOGONS

Reply 20 of 38, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
ElDavo wrote:

and the Voodoo 3000 wont even fit in the slot.

How is this even possible? Sometimes you have to wiggle it a bit. And just to be sure, you are not trying to fit a PCI V3 into an AGP slot, right??

I guess because his board has the 1.5V slot.

Reply 21 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lazibayer wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
ElDavo wrote:

and the Voodoo 3000 wont even fit in the slot.

How is this even possible? Sometimes you have to wiggle it a bit. And just to be sure, you are not trying to fit a PCI V3 into an AGP slot, right??

I guess because his board has the 1.5V slot.

Doh 🤣!

I overread him using a P4 rig for testing his graphics cards and not his Slot 1 board 😵
Makes sense now 😊

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tetrium is thinking about a v3 pci not fitting in a pci slot, but he has an agp card and ofcourse the 3,3v voodoo3 does not fit in a p4 board with a 1,5v slot.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 23 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

aahh...too slow 🤣 and wrong as well 😵

Reply 24 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

aahh...too slow 🤣 and wrong as well 😵

lmao! Must've been those 1700 pics on th99 that I went through today that drained my mind only to notice the board I was th99-ing actually had the model number on a sticker visible on the board 😵

But at least the other board also had the same yellow sticker so he did get the model numbers of his 2 "unknown" 486 boards 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 38, by ElDavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[quote How is this even possible? Sometimes you have to wiggle it a bit. And just to be sure, you are not trying to fit a PCI V3 into an AGP slot, right??[/quote]

The XP PC Has an AGP3 8X slot and the Voodoo 3 is I believe a AGP 1 2x Card the Windows 98 PC (The Beige avenger) has an AGP 2 4x slot which I guess is backwards compatible.

Beige Avenger: Windows 98 P3 600MHZ Voodoo 3 3000 128MB SDR
Untitled: Windows XP E8200 3.2GHZ Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ 4GB DDR2
Charlene Charlene Meredith Workgroup: Windows 10 i5 6600k 4.8ghz GTX1070 16GB DDR4

Reply 26 of 38, by ElDavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just find it strange that I can't play Dungeon Keeper 2 on a high end contemporary machine, maybe it's just that DK2 is a pig to run? I know that it doesn't run sim city 3000 very well either but I think that was a well known game for needing a really beefy processor at the time.

perhaps the Processor is the 'bottleneck' as far as DK is concerned as 3 different graphics cards produce very similar results and changing the resolution doesn't make much difference either...

I'll try and run them on my windows XP machine instead currently it's not liking DK2 at all but Im guessing there will be a patch somewhere that can fix it, and i'll look into that when I've got more time.

Charlene Charlene Meredith Workgroup: Windows 10 i5 6600k 4.8ghz GTX1070 16GB DDR4

Reply 27 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElDavo wrote:

The XP PC Has an AGP3 8X slot and the Voodoo 3 is I believe a AGP 1 2x Card the Windows 98 PC (The Beige avenger) has an AGP 2 4x slot which I guess is backwards compatible.

Yes I know. Btw not all boards that physically have an universal AGP slot may actually work with the older AGP cards (stuff may fry).
With computers, it's not that if it fits, it will thus work 😵

btw I fixed your quote 😊

Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 38, by ElDavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lucky my G400 didn't fry then 😐

I will learn to quote properly one day... one day dankjewel :p

Reply 29 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElDavo wrote:

Lucky my G400 didn't fry then 😐

I will learn to quote properly one day... one day dankjewel :p

yw 😀

You can always ask 😜

There's so much little bits of information floating around, the trick is to find the information you need and the easiest way to accomplish that is to find the right person to ask your question to. But most question can be found with a little bit of fiddling around, by doing lots of reading is that's your thing and (believe it or not) by reading the actual manuals...or old reviews.

Some P4 chipsets had a physical AGP 4x slot, but would not work with AGP 2x cards that run on 3.3v and in our case this mainly affects 3DFX AGP cards.

Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Matrox G400 is a 3,3v and 1,5v capable card so no worries about that one.

Reply 31 of 38, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never seen any GeForce 2MX sold without heatsink! Last nvidia card not using any cooling was Riva Vanta LT 8MB. Every Geforce had any. So there are 2 explanations why yours is so slow.
1]Someone removed heatsink from your card and now its overheating
2]Dell made it without heatsink as 2D office card - in this case they probably downclocked core a lot to avoid heat and thats why it is so slow. Check core clock of card (with rivatuner or Aida64). Official clocks are

Geforce 2MX/2MX 200 - 175MHz
Geforce 2MX 400 - 200MHz

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 32 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vlask wrote:
Never seen any GeForce 2MX sold without heatsink! Last nvidia card not using any cooling was Riva Vanta LT 8MB. Every Geforce ha […]
Show full quote

Never seen any GeForce 2MX sold without heatsink! Last nvidia card not using any cooling was Riva Vanta LT 8MB. Every Geforce had any. So there are 2 explanations why yours is so slow.
2]Dell made it without heatsink as 2D office card - in this case they probably downclocked core a lot to avoid heat and thats why it is so slow. Check core clock of card (with rivatuner or Aida64). Official clocks are

Geforce 2MX 400 - 200MHz

Iirc Meljor and me already had a little convo about this phenomenon and there were several Vogoners who had seen these heatsinkless MX cards. They are probably indeed OEM cards.

This doesn't exclude the possibility that someone simply removed the heatsink from the card.

Vanta LT did indeed not have a heatsink, I've used one myself years ago and could be considered a nice option for 2D-only on boards with problematic AGP slots.

Report spammers here!

Reply 33 of 38, by ElDavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
image1.JPG
Filename
image1.JPG
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is the MX of mystery it is a dell Oem card and i have seen quite a few other ones around on ebay. it out performs the mx200(like it should) but also gives off hardly any heat whereas the Mx200 with a fan was pretty hot

Reply 34 of 38, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Also which drivers did you use ?
NEVER EVER use the latest nvidia drivers for windows 9x. The 45.x drivers should be the last to be used IMO. The same thing goes for directx 9. You really don't need it as most computers running 9x won't be fast enough to really make dx9 games enjoyable, and dx9 creates some incompatibilities, so it's better to stick to dx8 unless you REALLY need it.

If you didn't do all of this, this will probably solve your performance issue 😉

^this.

Reply 35 of 38, by ElDavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
Deksor wrote:

Also which drivers did you use ?
NEVER EVER use the latest nvidia drivers for windows 9x. The 45.x drivers should be the last to be used IMO. The same thing goes for directx 9. You really don't need it as most computers running 9x won't be fast enough to really make dx9 games enjoyable, and dx9 creates some incompatibilities, so it's better to stick to dx8 unless you REALLY need it.

If you didn't do all of this, this will probably solve your performance issue 😉

^this.

3d Mark 2000 scores with latest driver: 3052
with 45: 3315

A nice 10%ish increase there

thanks guys 😁

Reply 36 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Iirc Meljor and me already had a little convo about this phenomenon and there were several Vogoners who had seen these heatsinkl […]
Show full quote
vlask wrote:
Never seen any GeForce 2MX sold without heatsink! Last nvidia card not using any cooling was Riva Vanta LT 8MB. Every Geforce ha […]
Show full quote

Geforce 2MX 400 - 200MHz

Iirc Meljor and me already had a little convo about this phenomenon and there were several Vogoners who had seen these heatsinkless MX cards. They are probably indeed OEM cards.

This doesn't exclude the possibility that someone simply removed the heatsink from the card.

Vanta LT did indeed not have a heatsink, I've used one myself years ago and could be considered a nice option for 2D-only on boards with problematic AGP slots.

Indeed, i have the Geforce2 MX agp and pci version that both do not have a heatsink and probably never had one. They get warm but not hot. These are at normal clockspeeds and no crippled cards.

Reply 37 of 38, by ElDavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I am moving onto a socket 370 motherboard so i can get a 800mhz P3 which will hopefully push my graphics cards a bit harder.

Just won a socket 370 motherboard with a 733mhz Celeron(shudder) and 256mb of ram. Also a little Coolermaster cooler on the cpu 😁 for £10

Currently the Computer is having trouble running dungeon keeper 2 and railroad tycoon 2, the recommended requirements are way below a p3 500mhz so I wonder if my CPU is under-performing?
It does run a little hot.

Reply 38 of 38, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElDavo wrote:

I just find it strange that I can't play Dungeon Keeper 2 on a high end contemporary machine, maybe it's just that DK2 is a pig to run? I know that it doesn't run sim city 3000 very well either but I think that was a well known game for needing a really beefy processor at the time.

perhaps the Processor is the 'bottleneck' as far as DK is concerned as 3 different graphics cards produce very similar results and changing the resolution doesn't make much difference either...

I'll try and run them on my windows XP machine instead currently it's not liking DK2 at all but Im guessing there will be a patch somewhere that can fix it, and i'll look into that when I've got more time.

DKII is a little of a resource hog, yes. Minimum requirements (not official ones) for running the game comfortably @ 640x480 w/o terrible framedrops and slowdowns is a 450MHz K6-II + Riva TNT2 - but it will still get when lots of creatures are on screen.

If you want 1600x1200 and max details, you need a socket A or 478 machine. My Tualatin + Geforce 4 Ti 4600 manages about 15-65 fps at that resolution, but framerate dips very quickly in heavy action or when you have a big dungeon with lots of creatures and gets quite tiresome. I run the game on a 3200+ / FX 5900 Ultra and it's smooth as butter. Of course a 2500+ athlon XP + a geforce 4 Ti4200 will also do very well at 1600x1200 with everything cranked up, so that's what I'd recommend for maximum enjoyment... a machine much newer then the game. Video card wise a 128bit geforce 4 MX440 should suffice, since the big drops in framerate seem to be CPU related.

Same goes for Homeworld. Minimul system requirements state a Pentium MM and 32MB of ram, but in reality you need a fast pentium III + a Geforce 4 MX to get good performance out of the game when things get intensive. If you want 1600x1200 / 32bit / everthing on max + a little AA, a Ti4200 + fast socket A or 478 machine is required for butter-smooth gameplay. If you don't care for AA a 128bit GF4 MX440 will work just as well.