VOGONS

a humble 386

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

creepingnet your case looks so retro with those lines and the keyboard connector in the front, any more pics?

Reply 21 of 24, by Dutch Breeze

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have this motherboard too, the SY-016A / SY-019B - I don't know which one of the two because the manual does not describe the difference of these boards. The original manual also describes the type SY-019C. Anyway, I bought this computer 25 years ago, february 1992. It is still in its orginal mini tower with led display. It is not 100% orginal but the video card is, a Tseng Labs ET4000. I replaced the I/O controller back in the 90s with an UMC type.

About 5 years ago the battery was replaced by a new one because the old one started to leak and damaged the board a little bit. At that time the board gave BIOS or Keyboard errors and was not reliable anymore, so I gave up. A few weeks ago I decided to power the system up again, and ever since its running so smooth ...

So I decided that the battery should be replaced by an external one before this one is causing damage too. I checked the manual and noticed that there is an option to connect an external pack of batteries, but there is no information about what kind of batteries should used. I found this thread and to my big surprise there is a pictured attached that shows an external pack .... So my question is, what type of batteries should I use for my mainboard ? (and what type absolutely not ?). Any help is appreciated.

Gtx,
Marco

Reply 22 of 24, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't necropost. Start new threads rather than resurrecting old ones like this.

Anyway, welcome to the forums 😀

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 23 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As keenmaster486 said..

Welcome to the forums! 😀

Dutch Breeze wrote:

. I found this thread and to my big surprise there is a pictured attached that shows an external pack .... So my question is, what type of batteries should I use for my mainboard ? (and what type absolutely not ?). Any help is appreciated.

Um, we better not extend that thread too much.. But I guess it's okay if I do answer your question.
The battery pack in picture one is just an ordinary set of AA batteries. You can buy them about everywhre (I often buy them in my local electronics shop).
In the pic, there are four of them. That's aprox. 6V. Some mainboard usually had either 3.6V or 6.3V batteries installed.
So better check the manual. Normally, about 3V is fine (2x AA). You can also add a diode to prevent the batteries from beeing "charged".
Or to lower the voltage a bit (if using silicon diodes). There are many repair guides out there which do cover that topic.

(Btw, that necropost stuff seems to be really an issue nowadays; esp. since late 2016.
All the years before I never heard about that term. 😅 )

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 24 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have the original manual, could you please scan it and upload a copy?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium