VOGONS

First post, by Tek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys.

I've just installed Quake 2 on my '98 rig. I've got it running in 1024x768 in 3DFX GL (Voodoo 2s). Sound card is a SB AWE64. Music is playing off the CD perfect. Sound effects are playing, but they're a bit all over the place. I can't hear the weapons firing at all, and most of the sound effects are really quiet.

I'm wondering if the game is attempting some kind of 3D audio or surround sound that my card just doesn't support? The sound menu is fairly limited and I can't find much in the way of console commands. Any help would be awesome.

We'll karaoke all night long, macarena 'til the break of dawn.

Reply 1 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a Sound Blaster driver update for Windows 9x. Give that a go. Should still be available on the Creative site. If not check the Vogons driver archive.

Also run the DirectX tests (start > run >dxdiag). Play with the acceleration slider to force software audio also.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Qbix created a new forum for software on old systems for such questions. This should be moved.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake2 has no 3D audio at all. Try changing the sound mode to "max compatibility" in Q2's options. You may also want to try -wavonly and see if it still happens there

FYI this doesn't happen on my AWE64 so i'd blame the drivers at this point.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 7, by Tek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You guys are great. But I'm sorry to tell you the answer is that I am borderline special needs.

as @leileilol had suggested, I had sound set to max compatibility; at @philscomputerlab's advice I updated to the latest driver. Even fiddled with dxdiag fwiw. I was still getting the problem. I even captured video to showcase this as I was getting the same error in other games. I'm using a preamp, for which the line input is mono. Stereo output into mono input. I think it's called phase cancellation but basically I'm retarded for not realising this.

The sound works great. It is a bit laggy, but I seem to remember Quake 2 having audio which lagged behind the action even back in 1997.

We'll karaoke all night long, macarena 'til the break of dawn.

Reply 5 of 7, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Quake2 has no 3D audio at all. Try changing the sound mode to "max compatibility" in Q2's options. You may also want to try -wavonly and see if it still happens there

FYI this doesn't happen on my AWE64 so i'd blame the drivers at this point.

IAS made a 3D audio patch for quake 2 which adds A3D 1.0 and EAX support. The company died pretty early on so their list of supported titles isn't very long. You can download it here.

Reply 6 of 7, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just managed to get all of the IAS files together, including the Quake II patch and the main installer. I've put all files on vogonsdrivers: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 148&menustate=0