VOGONS

First post, by kevsmudge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is their anyway to get rid of the texture tiling artifacts on 2d backgrounds caused by the bilinear filtering option when running games above their native resolution? also when ran at higher resolutions I can see pixelation that isn't their with unforced / native resolution,
bilinear filtering gets rid of the pixelation but it has the downside of texture tiling as mentioned above.

http://www.matim-dev.com/texture-packer---get … -artefacts.html

Unforced / native res no pixelation with bilinear filtering off.

unforced.jpg
Filename
unforced.jpg
File size
300.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Bilinear filtering texture tiling at higher res.

texturetiling.jpg
Filename
texturetiling.jpg
File size
322.71 KiB
Views
File license

Higher res pixelation, Bilinear filtering off.

pixelization.jpg
Filename
pixelization.jpg
File size
349.98 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 10, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those glitches are unfortunatly accompany issue of forced resolution/MSAA/texture filtering.
It's typical for tiled rendering.

dgVoodoo cannot 'fix' that because there is no general method for that.
Forcing of res/MSAA/texture filtering are not 'guaranteed' features, they may cause rendering glitches.

Reply 2 of 10, by kevsmudge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Those glitches are unfortunatly accompany issue of forced resolution/MSAA/texture filtering. It's typical for tiled rendering. […]
Show full quote

Those glitches are unfortunatly accompany issue of forced resolution/MSAA/texture filtering.

Forcing of res/MSAA/texture filtering are not 'guaranteed' features, they may cause rendering glitches.

Higher res is only causing pixelation for me not tiling that's caused by the texture filtering.
Could you not add a post processing filter to filter the fullscreen like 2x or x4 bicubic or reverse-aa to get rid of pixelized aliasing?

https://forums.libretro.com/t/reverse-antiali … g-shader/118/17

Reply 3 of 10, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kevsmudge wrote:
Higher res is only causing pixelation for me not tiling that's caused by the texture filtering. Could you not add a post process […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:
Those glitches are unfortunatly accompany issue of forced resolution/MSAA/texture filtering. It's typical for tiled rendering. […]
Show full quote

Higher res is only causing pixelation for me not tiling that's caused by the texture filtering.
Could you not add a post processing filter to filter the fullscreen like 2x or x4 bicubic or reverse-aa to get rid of pixelized aliasing?

https://forums.libretro.com/t/reverse-antiali … g-shader/118/17

If you want to post process the entire image you can use ReShade. There's a few shaders that should soften of the image, but you would also lose some of the advantage of the increased resolution.

Also, is the resolution you're scaling to an integer of the resolution you're scaling from? If it's not, you will probably get a better image doing that. Might even want to run it at higher than your screen resolution and maybe the downscaling by your GPU drivers will even soften the image enough for your liking.

Reply 5 of 10, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kevsmudge wrote:

Screen res is 1600x900, so I should run at 6400x3600? dgvoodoo only let me put in 6400x360.

An integer scale of the game's internal rendering resolution. Not of your screen resolution.

And 2x of 1600x900 is 3200x1800.

Reply 6 of 10, by kevsmudge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thanks how do I get the game resolution though if the game has no options, just base it off what it runs in unforced windowed mode?

I tried reshade and I noticed the reshade menu becomes unresponsive if disable alt+enter is ticked in dgvoodoo.

Reply 7 of 10, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kevsmudge wrote:

Ok thanks how do I get the game resolution though if the game has no options, just base it off what it runs in unforced windowed mode?

I tried reshade and I noticed the reshade menu becomes unresponsive if disable alt+enter is ticked in dgvoodoo.

Set up ReShade first then change any dgVoodoo2 options?

And you get the game resolution by taking a fullscreen screenshot with unenforced resolution, window mode isn't that reliable for figuring out resolution. Or you just Google game name + resolution.

Syberia (which I think your screenshot is from) is 800x600, so you want to be running it at a multiplier of that, if your screen is 1600x900 check if your GPU drivers allow you to add a custom resolution of 1600x1200. I think 2400x1800 would look better to you, but I doubt your GPU drivers would allow it.

Reply 9 of 10, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If his monitor resolution is 1600x900, his Max ISF resolution would be 800x600 (no forced resolution), the better options is choosing the next ISF above his monitor resolution (1600x1200) and downsample, which means he need to add a custom resolution.

If he was able to choose 2400x1800 he would be downsampling on both axis (1600x1200 > 1600x900 would display the X axis 1:1), which would be less ideal IMO, but may look softer which is what he wants.

Reply 10 of 10, by kevsmudge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The monitor is 1600x900,
I have a optimus gpu setup which oddly doesn't allow you to add custom resolutions in the nvidia control panel unless you disable the intel gpu in bios. Via displayport it allows up to 2560x1600

Editing the HQ4X shader in reshade gave me what I wanted 😀
Strength 0.900
Smoothing 3.000