VOGONS

First post, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I just picked up a SB Pro 2 today, and I'm nothing but issues with it. I'm using a copy of the install drivers for the card on some floppies for the test using "test-sbp".

For some reason, only IRQ 7 is detected. 5, 2, and 10 all fail to be detected, which is odd considering the ISA sound card I used before this was fine on 5.

When everything does get detected using IRQ 7, only the 4 operator test works correctly. 2 operator sounds horribly distorted and lingers a note after the test finishes, even if I close the program. Digital sounds fail completely, nothing even happens when I press it.

Also, I'm still a bit confused as to how the jumpers for JP2 and JP3 are supposed to be arranged. JP2 is a whole line of 8 pins and JP3 is just two, but when I removed those jumpers, I got no audio output.

Could you guys offer any suggestions that I should try to get this thing to work?

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 1 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Set jumpers like on this card:
http://i.imgur.com/LC7aP66.jpg

In DOS use command (and then put it in autoexec.bat):

set blaster=A220 I5 D1 T4

This means: Address=220, IRQ=5, DMA=1

Then perform tests or play a game (set sound options correctly as stated above). On fast computers also increase 8 and 16 bit recovery in BIOS to higher values.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 6, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ended up getting the IRQ to work by BIOS settings (setting IRQ 5 and DMA 1 to Legacy ISA) but that didn't solve the distorted sound. I don't have that BIOS option you speak of, however, what I did do was consider how you said fast computers, so I disabled caches to emulate a 386, and boom, the tests work correctly. I guess the SB Pro doesn't like to work on faster machines, very interesting. (and thanks for the image, I had the right most jumper in the wrong spot, though I don't know if it really makes a difference)

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 3 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using it with the system in your signature?
My 233mmx build has no issues with CT1600s, it would be interesting to find out the exact speed things start to fall apart...
Does your soundcard have the 14mhz crystal near the ISA connector?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 6, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Agent of the BSoD wrote:

I guess the SB Pro doesn't like to work on faster machines, very interesting.

The problem is that most software is horribly broken. They assume that they can delay long enough by just having simple loops of X iterations.
Problem is, once you get beyond the speed of say a Pentium 133, these loops will run too fast, and the SB Pro has initialized yet.
The card still works fine, the software just doesn't detect it properly.

Newer SB cards and many clones have faster DSPs on them, so they respond more quickly, and these short loops still work.
At any rate, I wouldn't recommend an SB Pro in anything faster than say a 486DX2-66. Which also makes sense, because by the time the Pentiums came around, the SB Pro 2 was already very outdated, and people were using cards like the SB AWE32 or the GUS.
You wouldn't want to limit your fast PC with an outdated 8-bit sound card.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 6, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

Are you using it with the system in your signature?
My 233mmx build has no issues with CT1600s, it would be interesting to find out the exact speed things start to fall apart...
Does your soundcard have the 14mhz crystal near the ISA connector?

Yeah, it's in the signature system. K6-III+. And yes, it does have the 14 MHz crystal.

Scali wrote:
The problem is that most software is horribly broken. They assume that they can delay long enough by just having simple loops of […]
Show full quote

The problem is that most software is horribly broken. They assume that they can delay long enough by just having simple loops of X iterations.
Problem is, once you get beyond the speed of say a Pentium 133, these loops will run too fast, and the SB Pro has initialized yet.
The card still works fine, the software just doesn't detect it properly.

Newer SB cards and many clones have faster DSPs on them, so they respond more quickly, and these short loops still work.
At any rate, I wouldn't recommend an SB Pro in anything faster than say a 486DX2-66. Which also makes sense, because by the time the Pentiums came around, the SB Pro 2 was already very outdated, and people were using cards like the SB AWE32 or the GUS.
You wouldn't want to limit your fast PC with an outdated 8-bit sound card.

That makes much more sense, dunno why I didn't stop to think it was the software at first. And yeah, I don't plan on keeping the SB Pro in this system, entirely outdated for it. I only have it in here to test it to make sure it works as it's the only system I have with ISA. I have a plan for it in a future build but that probably won't happen for a while. I'll just continue to use my Audician card in this system as it does what I need it to.

Reply 6 of 6, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a CT1600 in a K6-III+ build, and I need to use SETMUL to slow the computer down before it works properly with test-sbp. I need to bring it down to 200MHz at least before it works properly. I think that I also need to disable the external cache, as well. To mitigate this, I use an Audigy 2ZS in Windows, and use a Line Out/Line In connection to have both output. The CT1600 is not very useful in a Windows environment in my experience. It is, however, very good in DOS.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build