Rank Member
Rank
Asomodai wrote:
JiaoTongNan wrote:
Asomodai wrote:
Hello all. […]
Show full quote

Hello all.

Still having Wireless troubles. Not able to install the drivers correctly. When clicking have disk and going to the driver it shows a driver file but when I click on the driver file, it does not show any actual driver inside.

Just checking, my particular Wireless card has a chip on it that says BCM4318KFBG is that what you guys have?

Also I notice every time I freshly install WIN98, after I install the Ethernet driver WIN98 takes at least a minute and a half to startup. Any ideas?

Edit: Running Registry Cleaner after installing the Ethernet driver solves the startup issue.

I've mentioned this in the instructions; you must go to C:/Win98 for the proper file when Windows 98 does this. Its very annoying, I know.

About to re-upload the driver bundle link (Now includes buffalo wireless utility for WPA, rloew's universal usb driver, somewhat updated instructions). Will try to include Windows 98's built in sound blaster emulator.

Thanks. I was just trying to install a slightly different way. I am posting this from the D600 running on wireless. Since getting this working I have been having an unknown device to try to install itself on startup. Any ideas what it might be? The last two devices not installed are PCI Card and PCI Universal Serial Bus.

Every single driver provided is installed right? I swear I remember fixing that issue by installing all of the drivers. When I get the time, I'll try installing Windows 98SE again on my Dell Latitude D600 (Replaced it with Slacko Linux after another unstable Windows 98 install just for fun)

Its been a while since I set this thing up and I'm already forgetting x_x (I was giving 98 a break for a while because it was driving me insane)

Personal Blog

Reply 141 of 208, by Asomodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JiaoTongNan wrote:

Every single driver provided is installed right? I swear I remember fixing that issue by installing all of the drivers. When I get the time, I'll try installing Windows 98SE again on my Dell Latitude D600 (Replaced it with Slacko Linux after another unstable Windows 98 install just for fun)

Its been a while since I set this thing up and I'm already forgetting x_x (I was giving 98 a break for a while because it was driving me insane)

I rebuilt Windows 98 again and didn't have this unknown device error. Not sure what caused it. Now I need to sort out trying to get 2gb of ram to run, the paid for patch doesn't seem to work for me. Just fails to boot.

Managed to get it triple boot with xp and 7. Unfortunately I keep having a slow boot up time on Win98 since installing anything network related. The registry cleaner doesn't seem to fix it like it did before. Takes about 2-3 minutes to boot! So disabling the Ethernet Card in Device manager gets around that.

I broke down and paid for the Ram patch. None of the free fixes worked for me. Limiting the amount of Ram used in MSconfig caused system instabilities. With the patch I had to run the command line option with /M with the patch as the Network card takes up the first 16mb of Ram and causes boot failures. Runs like a charm now! At least I can now effectively triple boot without mucking about with Ram sticks.

Just reinstalling the triple boot and I think my trip has come to an end 😀

Thank you for all of your help! Until the next project 😉

Reply 142 of 208, by Asomodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking at a higher powered laptop that may run 98. Looking at a D810. However I reckon a Dell Precision M70 might also do the trick. I cant find drivers for the "Go 1400" Nvidia Graphics card. This is based on the Go6800. Can you see any reason why a Win98 install wouldn't work on this machine?

The only real change is the Chipset being a 915pm. Is there appropriate drivers for that?

Reply 144 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Asomodai wrote:

Looking at a higher powered laptop that may run 98. Looking at a D810. However I reckon a Dell Precision M70 might also do the trick. I cant find drivers for the "Go 1400" Nvidia Graphics card. This is based on the Go6800. Can you see any reason why a Win98 install wouldn't work on this machine?

The only real change is the Chipset being a 915pm. Is there appropriate drivers for that?

This should work http://www.msfn.org/board/applications/core/i … nt.php?id=41219
Unofficial 915 chipset INF by LoneCrusader, a moderator of MSFN.

Personal Blog

Reply 145 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm...only one thing left, oddly Windows isn't displaying the battery status (the bios shows it perfectly fine). Tried going to power settings and no luck, Windows still refuses to show the battery status and always claims an ac adapter is plugged in. I know this is caused by keeping a laptop on an ac adapter during install.

I remember having a similar issue on XP (using the same laptop), however XP on boot told me about this issue. I ended up fixing it by downloading the missing system file and placing it in the folder.

Personal Blog

Reply 146 of 208, by Aeridyne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all, hoping someone might be able to help me with an issue I'm having setting up a D610. And btw thank you very, very much for all the hard work and the package provided, so much help. I was stuck at the audio after chipset and video on my own.

I have everything but the modem installed now, the last thing I installed was Broadcom wireless, its a DW1470 card, and for some reason after manual install with the driver provided, which appeared to work just fine, upon reboot and all reboots after, it takes a long time to boot. It sits at a blinking cursor at top left with black screen for like 2-3 minutes until it finally loads.

Any ideas how to fix this?

**Turning MiniPCI slot off in BIOS or Ethernet made no difference. Turning MiniPCI slot off it loads longer at 98 screen instead of blinking cursor but still takes long time. There is a kind of chime I forgot to mention that it makes, and did not before installing the network cards & Sdcard reader drivers. Not sure which one it comes from.

EDIT: Figured out the chime and long load both go away if I disable the Smart Card reader in Device Manager! Anyone know how to keep it enabled but not take 3x/4x times longer to boot? (I guess it's not really a big deal, I don't actually see a physical slot to insert an SD card anyway?!?)

Also, can anyone help with using the built in SB Pro emulation? Tried installing Doom with defaults, launched in Windows, I get sound effects but no music?

Reply 147 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aeridyne wrote:

Hello all, hoping someone might be able to help me with an issue I'm having setting up a D610.

http://www.msfn.org/board/applications/core/i … nt.php?id=41219
Unofficial 915 chipset INF by LoneCrusader, a moderator of MSFN.

I don't own a D610, so I'm unsure how to set it up completely. I'm just assuming wikipedia is correct on this model.
If you got the model with a Intel 915PM, you would need a video driver for a ATI X300
If you got the model with a 915GM, I'm not sure if the video will work. Wikipedia says its an integrated driver

Aeridyne wrote:

I have everything but the modem installed now, the last thing I installed was Broadcom wireless, its a DW1470 card, and for some reason after manual install with the driver provided, which appeared to work just fine, upon reboot and all reboots after, it takes a long time to boot. It sits at a blinking cursor at top left with black screen for like 2-3 minutes until it finally loads.

Any ideas how to fix this?

A previous post addressed this, I too experience long boot times because of the card. Do not give your laptop anymore than 512mb ram, limiting it caused issues and instability for me as well.

Asomodai wrote:

I broke down and paid for the Ram patch. None of the free fixes worked for me. Limiting the amount of Ram used in MSconfig caused system instabilities. With the patch I had to run the command line option with /M with the patch as the Network card takes up the first 16mb of Ram and causes boot failures. Runs like a charm now! At least I can now effectively triple boot without mucking about with Ram sticks.

Aeridyne wrote:

Also, can anyone help with using the built in SB Pro emulation? Tried installing Doom with defaults, launched in Windows, I get sound effects but no music?

I've mentioned this issue as well and we're still unsure what the problem is. Maybe give DOSBox a try.

DosFreak wrote:

The official version of DOSBox (0.74 as of today) works on Windows 95 (w/ IE active Desktop) \NT4 and above.

Other versions of DOSBox you may have downloaded elsewhere are likely compiled with a version of Visual Studio that is incompatible with 9x.

Personal Blog

Reply 148 of 208, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aeridyne wrote:

EDIT: Figured out the chime and long load both go away if I disable the Smart Card reader in Device Manager! Anyone know how to keep it enabled but not take 3x/4x times longer to boot? (I guess it's not really a big deal, I don't actually see a physical slot to insert an SD card anyway?!?)

The Smart Card reader is not meant for SD cards (= secure digital cards), but for the chip on credit card sized cards. (SIM cards should work with an adapter/spacer.) You probably won't need it, I never did. The Smart Card slot is located below the CardBus slot. Easy to miss, the slot is very narrow.

Reply 149 of 208, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tell me more about the ram patch, can it be copied and used on other machines or is it locked to one?

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 150 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

Tell me more about the ram patch, can it be copied and used on other machines or is it locked to one?

I'm unsure, I would recommend PM'ing someone about it or the creator of the patch. Rloew's website has his email to contact,

Personal Blog

Reply 151 of 208, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just emailed him and he said this "The License is for one machine. You would need three Licenses." I don't think so, that's $60 per machine, but how does the software installer know. I guess I need to find someone to send it to my somewhere else other then here.

Reply 152 of 208, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's interesting, how patching VMM32.VXD, VCACHE.VXD and VMM.VXD inside VMM32.VXD (that's what the patch does) can be locked to a machine? It's just files stored locally. Maybe the patcher decreases in size after you use it, so that unless you make a backup of it, you can't use it again? (like some viruses) Or it stores the unique BIOS info somewhere?
This info got me even more tempting to try and make a patch of my own for free to use. I ain't gonna pay. Not for this.

Reply 153 of 208, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you make ur own free version, i will be ur test dummy

rloew also emailed me this after asking hows it locked to the computer "The software is serialized. You are allowed to use patches with a single serial number on one Computer. You can move it to another Computer as long as you remove the Patched files from the original Computer." I dont see how this would work if the pc is not connected to the internet.

Reply 154 of 208, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will be a test dummy myself, but any testing would help me immensely. 😀

I wonder this myself, how it's connected without any sort of network/Internet.

Reply 155 of 208, by Asomodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JiaoTongNan wrote:

Hmmm...only one thing left, oddly Windows isn't displaying the battery status (the bios shows it perfectly fine). Tried going to power settings and no luck, Windows still refuses to show the battery status and always claims an ac adapter is plugged in. I know this is caused by keeping a laptop on an ac adapter during install.

I remember having a similar issue on XP (using the same laptop), however XP on boot told me about this issue. I ended up fixing it by downloading the missing system file and placing it in the folder.

Good job working out it was ACPI missing. I just tried this on my D600 and I now have a battery meter. Seems to have installed extra things in relation to sleep and Memory timing. Since installing ACPI I have been able to run Fury3 without any stuttering and My machine finally Shuts Down properly now as well! (Before it was just stuck on the Shutting down screen). I did have to reinstall the Video driver though.

I am getting a PCMCIA Soundcard soon, might be interesting to see how well the slot works.

Reply 156 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Asomodai wrote:
JiaoTongNan wrote:

Good job working out it was ACPI missing. I just tried this on my D600 and I now have a battery meter. Seems to have installed extra things in relation to sleep and Memory timing. Since installing ACPI I have been able to run Fury3 without any stuttering and My machine finally Shuts Down properly now as well! (Before it was just stuck on the Shutting down screen). I did have to reinstall the Video driver though.

Sorry, I figured it out a while back but forgot to update this 😵

Updated the download and updated the instructions and a tiny FAQ

"Q: Windows does not display a battery meter or shutdown properly
A: This is happening because ACPI is missing.
1. Click the start button on the taskbar
2. Click run
3. Type and enter regedit
4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Detect
5. Create a new DWORD value called "ACPIOption" and set it equal to 1.
6. Go to the control panel and run "Add New Hardware". ACPI should be detected
and installed, then reboot."

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6tp6x8cxkhxy3p4 … atitude_D600.7z

Personal Blog

Reply 157 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I've ran into an issue (Not Windows related) so until I figure out how to bypass the unknown AC adapter error, I cannot use my laptop!

My laptop has began to decide my charger wasn't genuine so it refuses to charge the battery and performance is crippled!

Personal Blog

Reply 158 of 208, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, how's the progress? I recently picked up a Dell D400 which is sorta similar to this one. Except, it uses the Intel integrated graphics and what looks like AC97 drivers. Though, I'm having a heck of a time finding drivers for it. I thought I had found audio drivers, and I installed them, and on one install of Windows 98SE the sound worked...for one startup, then upon reboot it would only play static out of the speakers. Then, after another fresh install, it would BSOD after installing the exact same sound drivers. Now, I can't seem to find the sound drivers anymore. The graphics drivers are really hard to find also, I managed to find the driver, then lost it, pulling my hair out over this...

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.