VOGONS

Common searches

Is DOSBox Daum dead?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 37, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
awgamer wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

If you like, you can start with SVN and begin pulling in patches.

Where's the go to place for the list of patches? daum has a lot I've never heard or seen, no idea where they were sourced.

Which ones? Many of them should be in the Patches forum here.

Reply 21 of 37, by AJN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I don't think any fork with a removed dynamic recompiler looks good.

Didn't know about that.

Well, I'll probably try to add some patches to the official SVN then, at least the menu and NE2000 patch, maybe some others too. Might take a while though. When I'm done, maybe I'll post the binary here if somebody needs it.

Reply 22 of 37, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The save-state patch would probably be handy; I don't think anyone has posted a new binary that includes that yet.

The menu patch is neat, but I for one have never thought of it as particularly useful – that is one whose origins I am not familiar with. Do all of the options really work?

Reply 23 of 37, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
awgamer wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Where's the go to place for the list of patches? daum has a lot I've never heard or seen, no idea where they were sourced.

Which ones? Many of them should be in the Patches forum here.

I don't recall, it was long ago, at the time I wish he would have kept the large list of patches separate, lots of patches of interest but only thing I saw on offer was one big merged patch. big blob patch isn't really useful to isolating problems, which is the reason why I never used daum, always been flaky for me, crashing or xyz issue where 0.74 doesn't.

Reply 24 of 37, by AJN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
awgamer wrote:

I don't recall, it was long ago, at the time I wish he would have kept the large list of patches separate, lots of patches of interest but only thing I saw on offer was one big merged patch. big blob patch isn't really useful to isolating problems, which is the reason why I never used daum, always been flaky for me, crashing or xyz issue where 0.74 doesn't.

I'm interested in that big patch you mentioned, could you show me?

Maybe I'll try to make the patches optional in the config file, if it's not too difficult. Right now I'm still struggling with version incompatibilities (Visual Studio 15 vs. SDL1, I think I can't use SDL2?), not sure if I really want to recompile SDL1 in the new VS, so right now I'm trying to use the VS10 build engine in VS15, which hopefully works after installing VS15 over VS10 (pure VS10 did not work, got an afxres error, seems I'd need the MFC which are not available for VS10 Express). The next step would be to reboot which I don't want to do right now. Anyway, if that doesn't work I'll just recompile SDL1 in VS15 and don't use the precompiled library. Haven't compiled a library yet, so I'll need to figure out that too.

Reply 25 of 37, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only place I know to go is http://ykhwong.x-y.net/ and I'm not seeing it, but you can create a big blob patch diffing the provided source with SVN build(r3894 base going by last entry.) The download page also lists patches that have been applied including "etc.".. Not counting undefined etc, I count 41 patches including a blob patch(dosbox-x branch.)

Reply 26 of 37, by AJN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course I can use the Daum source and the SVN build it's based on to do a diff, I thought about doing that too, but I don't know if I'd be able to apply that as a patch on the new Dosbox SVN source. Has anyone tried that before? Or knows if that would work or not?

But I just remembered, there should be a patch that allows setting the video memory size in the config file (vmemsize) and adds more higher resolution truecolor VESA modes. That's another one I'll try to add, but I can't find it in the Daum patch list. I know that it's also in Dosbox-X, but I couldn't find a patch list for that. Anyone knows what that patch is called? Or is that just a part of the DOSBox-X fork and not a separate patch?

Reply 27 of 37, by AJN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AJN wrote:

Right now I'm still struggling with version incompatibilities (Visual Studio 15 vs. SDL1, I think I can't use SDL2?), not sure if I really want to recompile SDL1 in the new VS, so right now I'm trying to use the VS10 build engine in VS15, which hopefully works after installing VS15 over VS10 (pure VS10 did not work, got an afxres error, seems I'd need the MFC which are not available for VS10 Express). The next step would be to reboot which I don't want to do right now. Anyway, if that doesn't work I'll just recompile SDL1 in VS15 and don't use the precompiled library. Haven't compiled a library yet, so I'll need to figure out that too.

Finally found the INSTALL file (and the other text files) in the trunk folder. I should have read that right away ... anyway, seems like only VS up to version (20)10 is supported?

Reply 28 of 37, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AJN wrote:

Of course I can use the Daum source and the SVN build it's based on to do a diff, I thought about doing that too, but I don't know if I'd be able to apply that as a patch on the new Dosbox SVN source. Has anyone tried that before? Or knows if that would work or not?

It wouldn't. There have been so many small changes in SVN since the last Daum release, that even smaller patches often don't work any more.

Considering the video memory patch, I think you mean that one: S3 emulation with optimal register values
Doesn't work any more, neither.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 29 of 37, by AJN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I don't think that's it. But it seems that option was already available in h-a-l-9000s mega build:
Re: Using DOSBox for DOS Form Filling Program - Need To Print To LPT1
According to the DOSBox SVN wiki page, it's called "SVGA enhacements", but I don't know yet if there's a separate patch for that. If not, I'll try to do that myself, actually it can't be that hard, I just need to increase the video memory size and add more resolutions. But let's hope I'm not too optimistic ...

Also, I finally managed to compile DOSBox, 32 bit for now. It works in VS2015, but I had to recompile SDL (release, not debug). In the end it wasn't that difficult after all.
Next I'll test if my DOSBox actually works, and then I'll try to apply the NE2000 patch.

Reply 30 of 37, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

The save-state patch would probably be handy; I don't think anyone has posted a new binary that includes that yet.

As far as i know, the problem with a savestate patch is, that you would have to adapt it to the build you're doing. It's not just a single universal patch you can apply to SVN and be done. Every change to one of the emulated hardware components requires changes in the savestate patch, because you can't just save the state of the games, but you have to save the state of the "hardware" running the game at the exact same moment as well. So, you add NE200 support, you'd have to add it to the savestate patch as well. You make changes to the SVGA card, you have to make changes to the savestate patch. And so on...

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 31 of 37, by AJN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, this is DOSBox r4007 with ne2000 patch. If you need it, just get the EmuCR build and copy it in that directory. It needs the libpng 1.2 dll, not 1.6, because that was the most recent precompiled library version for VS. But renaming the dll file should work too, just replace the 6 with a 2.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_ne2000.exe
    File size
    2.04 MiB
    Downloads
    97 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 32 of 37, by AJN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just found out that the menu bar was actually part of the Daum fork, and not a separate patch:
DOSBox SVN Daum: Faults, Fixes, and The Future (64-bit and Beyond)

So, is DOSBox-X actually based on Daum? Because it has that too ...
Anyway, turning only this part into a patch probably won't be easy. But I think I'll try it anyway.

Reply 33 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, Dosbox-x is more based on Daum than on lock stock DOSBox. Sadly

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 36 of 37, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
awgamer wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

What's with DOSBox and the refusal to cut regular releases? If it's being worked on, then even a patch or minor release is justified.