VOGONS

Reply 1060 of 3172, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote:
You'll very likely have to source your own. Haven't finally decided it yet, but never actually planned to sell kits. Schematic a […]
Show full quote

You'll very likely have to source your own.
Haven't finally decided it yet, but never actually planned to sell kits. Schematic and partslist will be publically available.
One thing I considered was including the SIMM slot and audio jacks with the cards, as those aren't totally easy to obtain (but not exactly hard either).

For now consider no kits.

I would prefer atleast the hard parts to be included. The shipping costs of getting all the parts are going to be huge as you have to order for all around the globe to get everything. You yourself can sell kits at the same price and make some money on the hassle as you would be ordering in bulk numbers.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1061 of 3172, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
shock__ wrote:
You'll very likely have to source your own. Haven't finally decided it yet, but never actually planned to sell kits. Schematic a […]
Show full quote

You'll very likely have to source your own.
Haven't finally decided it yet, but never actually planned to sell kits. Schematic and partslist will be publically available.
One thing I considered was including the SIMM slot and audio jacks with the cards, as those aren't totally easy to obtain (but not exactly hard either).

For now consider no kits.

I would prefer atleast the hard parts to be included. The shipping costs of getting all the parts are going to be huge as you have to order for all around the globe to get everything. You yourself can sell kits at the same price and make some money on the hassle as you would be ordering in bulk numbers.

I agree. Everybody wanting to build these cards having to order all the parts separately is going to raise the cost a bunch, especially if we have to get parts shipped from different countries.

Bulk ordering and shipping out as kits would make it much simpler for us and you should be able to make some money off of it as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1062 of 3172, by d0pefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It'd be cool if we could get a preliminary bill of materials so we can look at component purchasing options. I might be able to help with bulk buying and redistributing for UK/EU - I live close to an RS Components branch so it shouldn't be any major trouble for me to pick up batches of components and send them out to people.

US1wUaR.pngg
💾 Download | 📚 Documentation | Support

Reply 1063 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's the plan ... I do the PCBs, someone else of the community organizes kits for those not wanting to order individually.

BOM ... can do. Changes there will only be minor (if at all) til the final run, so I'll see to get that done soon.
Also: I'm currently planning to do a write-up on the conditions and "rules" of this project ... for example what happens if I can't continue the project for whatever reason, someone wants his donation refunded and rough out how I plan to execute the final run.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 1065 of 3172, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote:

That's the plan ... I do the PCBs, someone else of the community organizes kits for those not wanting to order individually.

That sounds good of course, and more reachable. I hope someone is up for that. For more shipping cost saving: the components would be divided into single card kits, then send to you (shock) in one big prepared box, then paired with the PCB+Chip prior to sending these out. Just a thought...

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 1066 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That would be cool with me.
To be perfectly honest the most tiresome part of the whole deal of assembling kits for me would be making sure the few ICs don't get damaged in transit. Having a hard time seeing myself sticking ~700 SMD ICs of 4 different sizes (7 per ARGUS minus the InterWave) onto ESD-mats with scotch-tape or cutting IC-tubes into fitting sizes.
Passives are no big deal ... those are usually belted.

[Z?]

Reply 1067 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some kind of disclaimer:
What if it turns out the InterWave soldered onto your card is broken?
I have a moderate amount of spare ICs and am willing to exchange the InterWaves at no additional costs if the shipping is covered. If I somehow run out of chips, you're out of luck. I'd love to make sure all cards of the first series are working before starting the second batch using the spare ICs I might still have at that point, but of course can't wait forever. Therefore I'm setting a 3 months timespan for fixing InterWaves (giving me a ring should be enough). So far I haven't had any defect ones, but of course can't claim all chips I have are good, even tho I have little to no worries in that regard as of now.

How will the actual ordering process look like?
Once I'm planning to do the series run I'll message/e-mail everyone asking how many cards (maximum of 3) they want and collect a "safe" amount of money per card (since the final price will drop with the total amount ordered) + shipping. Excess money that's not needed will be refunded. Once all money has been collected the production will start and the cards posted a bit later. Time for collecting all money will be limited to 2 months. In case someone can't be reached or doesn't pay within the timelimit I'll assume 1 card for that person. That card will be kept for an additional time of 4 months for contacting/paying (therefore 6 months in total). If still no contact/payment has been done by that time, the previous donation is refunded completely and the card goes to the second "free for all" batch. Previous donations are NOT considered part of the payment. Multiple previous donations don't mean multiples of the maximum that can be ordered - there's a "hard limit" of 3 cards per person in any case.

What happens in case this project can't be finished for one reason or another?
In case the InterWaves don't get destroyed (by fire or other catastrophic consequences) there's an emergency plan, backups of the current design exist in multiple locations, my flatmate has instructions on where to ship the InterWaves. In case of my death/abductance by aliens/inability to finish the project, there is no right for a financial refund. In case the InterWaves get destroyed the project finishes without a result, in that case I'd make the layouts publically available so it can potentially be picked up by someone else in case another source becomes available. As most money has gone straight into the project already there will be no refunds in that case. The InterWaves are in a safe location stored properly, but one can never know.

What if you run out of InterWaves?
If I run out of InterWaves I consider the project finished. In case any loose ends remain you're advised to contact me so we can tie those up on an individual level.

What about kits?
There are currently no concrete plans for kits as of now from my side. The community is motivated to organize kits among itself if there's interest. This isn't finally decided yet. The current bill of materials will be posted soon - changes til the actual run should be minor (if at all).

What's the current shedule?
Some time this year I hope to be finished with the first run. Keep in mind this is what I do as a hobby 😉

This sucks, I want my money back right now!
Complete refunds are of course possible, but will cancel out your right for the initial run. Keep in mind the first run will be for production costs, while the potential second one isn't. PM me so we can sort things out.

When in doubt: German law applies
In case anything remains unclear, you're welcome to ask so we can clear things up 😀

[Z?]

Reply 1068 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Duly signed and approved from my side as far as my participation is concerned 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 1070 of 3172, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote:

What if it turns out the InterWave soldered onto your card is broken?
I have a moderate amount of spare ICs and am willing to exchange the InterWaves at no additional costs if the shipping is covered. If I somehow run out of chips, you're out of luck. I'd love to make sure all cards of the first series are working before starting the second batch using the spare ICs I might still have at that point, but of course can't wait forever. Therefore I'm setting a 3 months timespan for fixing InterWaves (giving me a ring should be enough). So far I haven't had any defect ones, but of course can't claim all chips I have are good, even tho I have little to no worries in that regard as of now.

I'm a bit confused now, regarding the InterWaves and exchanging and all.
Earlier in the thread I thought you said you would just sell the PCBs, and someone else would have to make a complete kit out of it by adding all the required ICs and such (which I assume also means the InterWave).

But this sounds more like you will assemble complete cards with InterWave and all.

If the latter, put me down for a card please.
If the former, I'd love to get one if someone else will assemble it for me.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 1071 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCB + presoldered InterWave it is from me ... everything else has to be assembled by the buyer/someone else.
That's why I added a 3 months timespan for signaling potential issues with the InterWave - which should be long enough to detect issues with the InterWave, if there are any.

[Z?]

Reply 1072 of 3172, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote:

PCB + presoldered InterWave it is from me ... everything else has to be assembled by the buyer/someone else.
That's why I added a 3 months timespan for signaling potential issues with the InterWave - which should be long enough to detect issues with the InterWave, if there are any.

Okay, I see.
The InterWave would be hardest to get hold of, and the most difficult to put on.
But still, I probably wouldn't be able to finish the card myself, so I'll go for the second option: I'd love a card if someone assembles it for me.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 1073 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly that 😀
Soldering the InterWave needs either proper tools and/or a lot of experience with hand soldering, making it a major obstacle. Which is why I'm going to presolder those.
All other parts can be soldered by hand and a cheap soldering station. Overall quite easy _but_ needs a moderate amount of time due to a few hundred solder points.

Same as with kits, the community is advised to organize assembly among itself 😀 I'm aware of 2 users who did consider offering those services in the past.

[Z?]

Reply 1074 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Small update: 210€ raised via donations so far. 150€ will be thrown in by me. So 360€ overall - still a little left in case anyone wants to hop in 😉
Sorry for nagging.

[Z?]

Reply 1077 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh gn0es! Someone else has bought the 238 InterWaves which were on offer!

Just kidding ... that was me 😀 Therefore, ~400 InterWaves available to me now.
In case anyone wants to join in - PM me for details on how to donate.

EDIT: Deadline is 31st of march ... after that you're out of luck.

[Z?]

Reply 1078 of 3172, by Bester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Donation sent, thanks for making such an awesome project.

Amiga 1200 - Blizzard 1260 Rev6 (71E41J), Indivision AGA MK2cr
Amiga CD32 - TF330 030/50MHz with MMU, Kipper2K Riser
C64 Reloaded MK2 - 1541 Ultimate II+

Reply 1079 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

InterWaves have been shipped today 😀
Should arrive here within the next 7-14 days.

[Z?]