VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 62, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FuzzyLogic wrote:

It started with my grandfather's Zeiss he picked up in Europe in the late 30s. Now I have a few Ikontas and Super Ikontas in A, B, and C formats. I also have a couple of Zeiss 35mm cameras.

Jealous

FuzzyLogic wrote:

I can look at my photos on a Rollei medium format slide projector.

JEALOUS

FuzzyLogic wrote:

Many years ago I had it CLA'ed by a man who served in WWII. He got noticeably emotional when I brought it in. I'm sure he had seen quite a few back then. Needless to say, he took great care in adjusting it.

Wow, that's great!

I have a Contaflex Beta, not the best one they made but a workhorse all the same. My sister, though has a Contaflex Super BC which I am envious of 🙁

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 41 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does watch count?

Again, not collecting, merely using. In fact, just like my parents, I only have one watch and never change it. But mine counts as retro, doesn't it?

fOQC2le.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 43 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

TAG? Nice!

Thanks. It's an old model --the Heuer 1000 series, which isn't produced anymore, is it? It originally belonged to my late dad, but he rarely used it because he couldn't dive anymore due to a hole in his eardrum. Now, diving isn't my hobby, but he gave me the watch several years ago. And just like mom and dad, I only have one watch and never change it. Well if I got married and had a son, the TAG would be his.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 44 of 62, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

JEALOUS

I just checked the prices on Super Ikontas and they seem to have come back down some since last I checked (12 years ago.) An automatic slide projector will be harder to get cheap, but it's not impossible. I think I only paid $120 for mine.

keenmaster486 wrote:

I have a Contaflex Beta, not the best one they made but a workhorse all the same. My sister, though has a Contaflex Super BC which I am envious of 🙁

Very nice! You should definitely convince her to give it or sell it to you. I have a Super packed away somewhere and a Prima, which is similar to the Beta.

prima1.jpg
Filename
prima1.jpg
File size
75.94 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 45 of 62, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a bit of a tv collection going on these ones are for my gaming setup the huge sony trinatron (very rare to me) is for my modded ps2 and wii and the sony pvm is for my sega genesis, N64, SNES and soon to have ps1 and the pvm has the best picture quality. I have a total of 5 tv's in at my place, I use my old samsung 32'' flatscreen as my computer monitor, I cannot part with it as it been a very good tv since 2008. My other flatscreen is in the living room for my xbox 360 and ps3.

I like video game collecting, but I only collect what im going to play and I like getting the best picture from my games.

Attachments

• IMG_1500.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1500.JPG
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1501.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1501.JPG
    File size
    1.35 MiB
    Views
    File license

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 46 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

I have a bit of a tv collection going on these ones are for my gaming setup the huge sony trinatron (very rare to me) is for my modded ps2 and wii and the sony pvm is for my sega genesis, N64, SNES and soon to have ps1 and the pvm has the best picture quality. I have a total of 5 tv's in at my place, I use my old samsung 32'' flatscreen as my computer monitor, I cannot part with it as it been a very good tv since 2008. My other flatscreen is in the living room for my xbox 360 and ps3.

I like video game collecting, but I only collect what im going to play and I like getting the best picture from my games.

Nice. How about CRT monitors like Mitsubishi Diamondtron? Do you collect them as well?

Reply 47 of 62, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do have one tube monitor that I keep around, its in storage wrapped, I cant remember what model or brand that is.

Reply 48 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With normal use, how long a CRT would last?

Reply 49 of 62, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would think a good quality CRT with a few hours of daily use would last up to 15-20 years. After that it all depends on the individual components (mostly on the PSU). I'm sure there are many TV's and what not that have seen daily use for 30 years, but there are certain limitations to how much heat, dust and wear different electronics can withstand before breaking. With monitors I'm not that worried yet as the golden period of 17-19" CRT's was 00-05 and many haven't been used in recent years, so if you find a good one chances are it will work for years to come.

Reply 50 of 62, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use just have to watch out for burn-in the second i pause a game I shut my tube off, if you are using a tube always keep the picture moving and it will last you awhile.

Reply 51 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

It all depends, but most good tubes will last upto 100,000 hours. my daily use tv is from the early 80s at best, it's abit dim, but that could be old caps or some other part needing replaced, I know the red tube is over driven. Possibly a resistor or cap need replaced. But other wise it's perfect, just don't crank up the color red on it and it's fine.

Edit.
Don't shut off and power on a crt regularly. Keep it on or off. Powering on and off regularly in short time frames is hard on the tube. And burn ins are fixable, but not something you want to risk. However a good tv can handle up to 1 hour on the same image without burning.
If you burn you tv or monitor just burn the rest down to match. So if you have a burned image of a square, make a image of a black square and white background. Basically display an white image we're the screen is not burned.
But keep in mind that this will not completely fit a burn, only makes a burnt tv useable.

Reply 52 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting info about CRT.

Anyway, anyone collect vintage cars?

Reply 53 of 62, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Not collecting (yet) but I am in the market for a Jaguar XKE (E-Type). Considering it could be 50 years old, that would make it a vintage 😀

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 55 of 62, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do original Hot Wheels redline series and old matchbox cars count? 😊

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 56 of 62, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a vintage car for most of my 20s and loved it - reconditioned the engine, added twin carbs / extractors, etc. Nearly 20 years later and I couldn't think of anything worse! Cars take up heaps of space, are expensive to maintain, and are dirty fosil fuel consuming dinosaus.

They're a necessity of course - kids to drive to school, etc - but I think of ours as just another appliance.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 57 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

I wish.

What is your vintage dream car?

ODwilly wrote:

Do original Hot Wheels redline series and old matchbox cars count? 😊

They do, I believe. I spent my childhood collecting Tomica die cast toy cars. Well, not 'collecting' as in what collector does, but playing with them instead. Recently I saw Tomica cars in a store. Bring up a lot of sweet memories. However, they are modern cars, while my Tomica were late 1970's/early 1980's cars.

badmojo wrote:

I had a vintage car for most of my 20s and loved it - reconditioned the engine, added twin carbs / extractors, etc. Nearly 20 years later and I couldn't think of anything worse! Cars take up heaps of space, are expensive to maintain, and are dirty fosil fuel consuming dinosaus.

They're a necessity of course - kids to drive to school, etc - but I think of ours as just another appliance.

Pics please.

Reply 58 of 62, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pics please.

Here she is, my Leyland Mini Moke, made circa 1980. Amazing little thing it was - galvanized body, so no rust. And it had a 1275cc inline 4; quite a good power to weight ratio when you consider how light the body was. The engine / drive-train / suspension were all taken directly from the famous Morris Mini, so spare / performance parts were easy to source.

This was the top of the line 'Californian' model, which was originally built (in Australia) to export to the U.S. The story goes that the Americans deemed them too unsafe and sent 'em all back, but there's a good chance that's just a load of tosh.

Great fun to drive and quite collectible now, but as I say I don't miss it a bit 😵

P2130185_zpsx4q0n2ex.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 59 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
Here she is, my Leyland Mini Moke, made circa 1980. Amazing little thing it was - galvanized body, so no rust. And it had a 1275 […]
Show full quote

Pics please.

Here she is, my Leyland Mini Moke, made circa 1980. Amazing little thing it was - galvanized body, so no rust. And it had a 1275cc inline 4; quite a good power to weight ratio when you consider how light the body was. The engine / drive-train / suspension were all taken directly from the famous Morris Mini, so spare / performance parts were easy to source.

This was the top of the line 'Californian' model, which was originally built (in Australia) to export to the U.S. The story goes that the Americans deemed them too unsafe and sent 'em all back, but there's a good chance that's just a load of tosh.

Great fun to drive and quite collectible now, but as I say I don't miss it a bit 😵

P2130185_zpsx4q0n2ex.jpg

Now that's what I would call real car. But why didn't you miss it? I mean, you can drive your kids your school with that car, can't you?